CFHF Fantasy League Part XXI: Much ado about goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sigh, doesn't matter.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your issue is probably that I figured this out this year and not last year. Would that be accurate? Or that you traded Scorch's pick before this change occurred. Either way I understand your frustration.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If I'm understanding you correctly, your issue is probably that I figured this out this year and not last year. Would that be accurate? Or that you traded Scorch's pick before this change occurred. Either way I understand your frustration.

The prospect draft has never been kind to me. :laugh:

At least if Deebz wins I won't be salty about it.

The timing of this sucks for me value wise. However I can't argue that the system didn't need to be changed, its a change for the better especially considering the expansion teams.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The timing of this sucks for me value wise. However I can't argue that the system didn't need to be changed, its a change for the better especially considering the expansion teams.

I appreciate your understanding, II. :)

Had to be done. We had to change the odds anyway, given we had the expansion regime in there with three teams with equal numbers of balls. I only regret not doing this sort of analysis sooner. Last year, the odds of Pingu drafting outside the top 5 were bounded between 21.7% and 32.8% (not going to calculate the exact number). This year, it will be bounded between 0.14% and 7.6%.

If it cheers you up, I might add a video recording of myself conducting the lottery this time, and I might do it with dice and an assigned combination chart instead. :D

I meant for playoff teams who get randomized picks in the 1st round.

This is being discussed.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I appreciate your understanding, II. :)

Had to be done. We had to change the odds anyway, given we had the expansion regime in there with three teams with equal numbers of balls. I only regret not doing this sort of analysis sooner. Last year, the odds of Pingu drafting outside the top 5 were bounded between 21.7% and 32.8% (not going to calculate the exact number). This year, it will be bounded between 0.14% and 7.6%.

If it cheers you up, I might add a video recording of myself conducting the lottery this time, and I might do it with dice and an assigned combination chart instead. :D

This is being discussed.

That would be worth the price of admission :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That would be worth the price of admission :laugh:

I think so. My plan would be to release the chart prior to the lottery, record myself rolling a decahedral die in three-roll combinations over and over until I hit 11 of the 12 teams, then release the results the same way I did last year, followed by posting the footage. I don't want to ruin the suspense by posting the footage first. ;)

You'll notice that I made the total number of balls add up to 1000, so that matches the number of possible permutations of three dice rolls. :)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

:):):)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We were all young and naive once Hox.

Ha! All good, in a year or 2 from now, you could very well be saying the same thing back to me over our little trade yesterday. :laugh:

So is life in a fantasy league, I like taking risks and have been fairly successful doing so in the past.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Ha! All good, in a year or 2 from now, you could very well be saying the same thing back to me over our little trade yesterday. :laugh:

So is life in a fantasy league, I like taking risks and have been fairly successful doing so in the past.

Like trading a norris winner and a Hart winner for 2 rookies and a sophomore

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's okay. I completely panicked and traded him away this off season :)

:cry:

I still think it was a smart move at the time. There was no way of knowing if he'd be out of the NHL for years or right back and better than ever. You traded him for another player guaranteed to be somewhere in the middle of that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still think it was a smart move at the time. There was no way of knowing if he'd be out of the NHL for years or right back and better than ever. You traded him for another player guaranteed to be somewhere in the middle of that.

That was my thinking AS. It wouldn't sting quite as bad if Schwartz hadn't gotten injured 7 games into the season. I likely wont even get 40 games out of him this season now.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
lol.. first draft.

1st - Kovalchuk -- Notables after: Datsyuk, Karlsson
2nd - Eberle -- Notables after: Fleury, Couture, D. Sedin
3rd - Landeskog -- Notables after: Duchene, Hall
4th - Kiprusoff lol -- Notables after: Nash, Kane
5th - Cammalleri -- Notables after: Baertschi (lol), Subban
6th - Brodeur -- Notables after: Tarasenko, Wheeler, Shattenkirk
7th - Kreider -- Notables after: Ladd, Huberdeau, Voracek