Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
So, I guess that means the NHL is a bad owner with a poorly run franchise? They've been running it for a while now and attendance is still low.

The fans haven't known if they will have a team, this soap opera has been going on for the better part of 2 years.

But once the NHL took over and brought in new management and coaches the on ice product improved.

Once the fans know they have a stable franchise with an owner who is in it for the long run,the fans will come back.

As the local economy strenghtens and there is more disposable income I could see the franchise doing well especuially as they have so many hockey loving tourists and retirees from the north in that area.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
I really think some have been placing far too much emphasis on the team’s owner (or lack of) being responsible for the poor attendance. You either want to spend your money on hockey or you don’t. While I will agree that an owner can definitely have an impact on the quality of the team on the ice, in this situation the Coyotes made the playoffs last year and have a very strong team this year, yet attendance to this point has not been very good. For myself personally when I am deciding whether to take in an Ottawa Senators game the owner of the team does not really factor into my decision.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
My expectations are probably much lower than others. The local economy here sucks, and I think it's going to continue to suck for at least another 5 years (IANAE). I do expect a new owner more aggressive marketing and a team that makes the playoffs every year (first round and out, what I'm used to when we do make the playoffs) can result in increased attendance, but I expect in the first 5 years with all best efforts it will be modest at best.

I know too many people who have had to cut back on a lot of entertainment and spectator events due to the economy to think we'll be swimming in sellouts in 3-5 years, but I think the principals involved have similar expectations (similar to mine) and are not looking at a magic turnaround in 3-5 years but are looking much further upstream.

So what is the definition of success. Is dropping the losses from 25 million to 15 million a year going to be viewed by the Coyotes fans as a successful transformation of the franchise.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
The fans haven't known if they will have a team, this soap opera has been going on for the better part of 2 years.

But once the NHL took over and brought in new management and coaches the on ice product improved.

Once the fans know they have a stable franchise with an owner who is in it for the long run,the fans will come back.

As the local economy strenghtens and there is more disposable income I could see the franchise doing well especuially as they have so many hockey loving tourists and retirees from the north in that area.

Tickets are dirt-cheap, though. What do people in Phoenix possibly have to lose by going to see a team that's performing well? Even if the worst happens and the team leaves, you're only out what, 10-20 bucks a seat? If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Tickets are dirt-cheap, though. What do people in Phoenix possibly have to lose by going to see a team that's performing well? Even if the worst happens and the team leaves, you're only out what, 10-20 bucks a seat? If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?

That is not really the case this year. Revenue is up 40% because there are no deep discounts on tickets. Upper bowl tickets for the Coyotes are priced higher than the NBA Sun's tickets. I am sure the average ticket price is less than many markets, but the cheapest single game seats are around $36. My lower bowl seats are about $110 each. As to the rest of your comment, I would only cite to Daly's recent statement that this is the first time in NHL history an ower (Moyes) actually tried to damage a market. As a STH, I was getting statements from Moyes' attorneys in the bankruptcy court last year warning me not to renew or I would stand as an unsecured creditor. There is zero marketing presence in the Valley. The only real marketing is getting players on local sports radio. And since the big dog in town for sports radio is KTAR, which hosts the Suns, Cardinals and D-Backs, as well as ASU sports, doesn't carry the Coyotes, as you may expect, there is not a lot of Coyote talk on that station.

I do agree, however, that if this owner actually runs this team successfully, then Phoenix is pretty much out of excuses. However, even the new owner doesn't think the fans will come back in earnest for at least a couple of years given all the damage that has been done to the organization. I would expect to see an uptick in actual attendance by the end of this year (assuming the team stays in the playoff hunt). But actual revenue will be significantly improved as the price per ticket will be more in line with typical NHL standards.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?

The people that truly care are going to the games. They are going to the council meetings. The problem is that the casual fan (no offense CF), may not be aware of the dire scenario, or may not even have the inclination to care. They may say.. hey, I like the Coyotes and go to 12 games a year, but if they're gone we'll just go to more D-Backs games.

Large market teams are very dependent on support from other businesses. It would give a big boost to the teams bottom line if the sales people were more proficient in their duties and tackle those accounts. I would love to be in their sales office, I would make a fortune.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
The people that truly care are going to the games. They are going to the council meetings. The problem is that the casual fan (no offense CF), may not be aware of the dire scenario, or may not even have the inclination to care. They may say.. hey, I like the Coyotes and go to 12 games a year, but if they're gone we'll just go to more D-Backs games.

Large market teams are very dependent on support from other businesses. It would give a big boost to the teams bottom line if the sales people were more proficient in their duties and tackle those accounts. I would love to be in their sales office, I would make a fortune.

I wish you were in their sales department. They need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad