Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Assume ticket revenues.

Potential sales database grew by 15,000 from Earnhardt promotion. Sales department was able to capture names and e-mail addresses of folks they can now market to.

Look around sports and you find lots of families that own sports teams.

Sox and Dodgers spring training facilities in Glendale.

Not sure when Hulsizer entered the picture, but sounds like he started working closely with sale and marketing in October.

Thanks for all your answers. Like I said, was merely seeking clarification (and you told me what I needed to know-thanks! :))

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I'm wondering not just money issues but the people in glendale.

1) how many in that meeting were actually from glendale ? Afew were from scottsdale and phoenix and even further away as Edmonton to support the team and i really didn't hear anyone that was actually from the city itself

2) Is it even right for Glendale to support a millionaire ? from SBNation: http://sbn.to/hCmrio it appears that the city is having budget issues and are laying people off to save money so how does keeping a hockey franchise in Glendale help out when people are losing jobs ?

Wouldn't putting that 197million into helping people out improve the economy in Glendale better ?

I've been talking to afew people in glendale for the last couple of days and they say its best for the long term and i cannot in my mind believe it'll be best for the city when the team hasn't made profit in 15yrs. Talk of Moyes screwing the team has come up but i cannot see that being a factor of 15years of losses.
While I agree that this whole deal is a taxpayer subsidy to rich millionaires the article about Glendale having to lay off public staff is bogus. The blogger refers to an article in the Glendale Register. That article is discussing budget cuts in NYC. the blogger didn't read the article very well.
Edit: the Glendale referred to in the article is Glendale NY - a neighbourhood in Queens.

Last edited:

WpgJets

Dec 19, 2010
While I agree that this whole deal is a taxpayer subsidy to rich millionaires the article about Glendale having to lay off public staff is bogus. The blogger refers to an article in the Glendale Register. That article is discussing budget cuts in NYC. the blogger didn't read the article very well.
Edit: the Glendale referred to in the article is Glendale NY - a neighbourhood in Queens.

i didn't catch that the first read through.
But still towards it. I'm hearing Hulsizer wants to move himself and his family to glendale to support the team and the city.

With a big subsidy would it prompt him to actually use his own money ?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Ruh Roh. Almost time for another thread.

Hudsucker Proxy?

I think TL had a good one earlier. 19th thread is name is reserved for kdb.

This thread filled up quick, just think, it was just last Tuesday that lease was voted on, same night as it were as the season finale of The Biggest Loser. Coincidence? Only time will tell....

Lately, I've been reading up a bit on the early years of Marvel Comics, and I would like to suggest a title that echos stories from it's Silver Age...

"What Price...A Franchise?"

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
Re: thread name.

What about something simple ... like "Glendale vs. Goldwater" .
.. or ... "Goldwater attacks" ... "The Wrath of Goldwater" .. "The Lease : To Be or Not To Be?"

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Some day one of these threads has to recognize there's a lot of "Phoenix Envy" going on here... from fans resenting Phoenix has a team in Glendale to Glendale resenting that team is named after Phoenix...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well based on attendance figures not many. However, isn't it the low attendance figures and poor fan support that has brought us to this point.

Attendence was more the result of poorly run franchise. It's a symptom rather than a cause. I realize that's not going to sit right with a lot of people here but that's what it is.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
A new view inside Glendale City Hall..... Courtesy of Alice Cooper's From the Inside
attachment.php

Is that a stuffed Coyote floating next to Kramer on the left?

Re: thread name.

What about something simple ... like "Glendale vs. Goldwater" .
.. or ... "Goldwater attacks" ... "The Wrath of Goldwater" .. "The Lease : To Be or Not To Be?"

"Glendale Kool-Aid vs GoldWater. Drink one."

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Last edited:

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Some day one of these threads has to recognize there's a lot of "Phoenix Envy" going on here... from fans resenting Phoenix has a team in Glendale to Glendale resenting that team is named after Phoenix...

Because Glendale on a national level is a small suburban pretender town. You don't see the Redskins changing their name from Washington to Landover.

TheLegend: Attendence was more the result of poorly run franchise. It's a symptom rather than a cause. I realize that's not going to sit right with a lot of people here but that's what it is.

That's one theory. There's no established fact one way or the other on it regardless of what some people think or hope. If in three years attendance is better after all the Coyotes fans on here have the owner they want, you'd be shown right. If in three years attendance is still in the doldrums after all the Coyotes fans on here have the owner they say now they want, you'd be shown wrong.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Attendence was more the result of poorly run franchise. It's a symptom rather than a cause. I realize that's not going to sit right with a lot of people here but that's what it is.

No problem with your opinion; however, if the team stays average do you think the attendance will go up? Or to put it a different way, if they are fighting for the last playoff spot, will that help attendance?

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
That's one theory. There's no established fact one way or the other on it regardless of what some people think or hope. If in three years attendance is better after all the Coyotes fans on here have the owner they want, you'd be shown right. If in three years attendance is still in the doldrums after all the Coyotes fans on here have the owner they say now they want, you'd be shown wrong.

Don't be silly, if numbers don't improve all that will prove is that Hulsizer is another poor owner. ;)

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hudsucker Proxy?

Hulsizer Proxy. Neophyte handed the Keys to the Kingdom. From Paperhanger to El Presidente' in a day. Schools Out Forever. Coming to a theater near you in April starring Tom Hanks' who will be reprising his role from The Ladykillers as Professor of Medievil Music G.H. Dor-Tindall (PHD, University of Phoenix at Lynchburg, TN) as "Consultant Emeritus" to star Tim Robbins role as Mathew Hulsizer. Were hoping James Gandolfini will play Paul Newmans' part, re-named Paul Pennypacker whose Daughter, Paula (Lindsay Lohan) Pennypacker is vying for a seat in District 9 of the Arizona State Ledge. Republican of course.

Last edited:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Anyone who thinks Matt Hulsizer is a White Knight or helping the people of Glendale.....Your a FOOL!

Thanks. No one thinks that. It is a business deal, and Hulsizer has been pretty clear this is a business deal for him. Neither he, nor the locals, are painting him as any kind of White Knight or Savior. Still, local hockey fans are very happy he came along.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Because Glendale on a national level is a small suburban pretender town. You don't see the Redskins changing their name from Washington to Landover.

Oh totally agree. And Glendale actually borders Phoenix; it's a lot closer to Phoenix than say Arlington Texas is to Dallas yet they don't call the Cowboys the Texas Cowboys or Arlington Cowboys.

My expectations are probably much lower than others. The local economy here sucks, and I think it's going to continue to suck for at least another 5 years (IANAE). I do expect a new owner more aggressive marketing and a team that makes the playoffs every year (first round and out, what I'm used to when we do make the playoffs) can result in increased attendance, but I expect in the first 5 years with all best efforts it will be modest at best.

I know too many people who have had to cut back on a lot of entertainment and spectator events due to the economy to think we'll be swimming in sellouts in 3-5 years, but I think the principals involved have similar expectations (similar to mine) and are not looking at a magic turnaround in 3-5 years but are looking much further upstream.

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010

So, I guess that means the NHL is a bad owner with a poorly run franchise? They've been running it for a while now and attendance is still low.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
My expectations are probably much lower than others. The local economy here sucks, and I think it's going to continue to suck for at least another 5 years (IANAE). I do expect a new owner more aggressive marketing and a team that makes the playoffs every year (first round and out, what I'm used to when we do make the playoffs) can result in increased attendance, but I expect in the first 5 years with all best efforts it will be modest at best.

I know too many people who have had to cut back on a lot of entertainment and spectator events due to the economy to think we'll be swimming in sellouts in 3-5 years, but I think the principals involved have similar expectations (similar to mine) and are not looking at a magic turnaround in 3-5 years but are looking much further upstream.

What do you think will happen if they just fall short of the playoffs for the next five years?

What happens when many of their players contracts expire? Can MH pay the going rate to keep them? Do you think MH has the cash reserves even with the COG subsidy to stay close to the Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad