Speculation: Part VIII: Post-Draft, Rumors, Speculation, Free Agency Opens Friday (July 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I posted this in the Goulbourne thread but I figured I would post it here too. It's a good write up by Anthony SanFillippo about the draft and explanations for the picks and quotes from the staff.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676082&navid=DL|PHI|home

I will say, for the most part, I'm impressed by the Flyers drafting, especially since they are making sure they aren't lacking in defense and goaltending, since we definitely aren't lacking in offense right now.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It is good, but I really doubt another team would have taken him in the 4th.

I don't get how anyone says this when

“We didn’t have a fourth round pick and we knew [from talking to other teams] that he wouldn’t have been there when we picked in the fifth round,†Pryor said. “He may only be a role guy in the NHL, but we think he has a real good chance to play in the NHL, which is the biggest thing. Look at the percentages of guys playing in the league. It gets less and less each round. So, we wanted to jump up a little bit to grab him because we feel he’s going to be in the NHL and anytime you can get a guy who’s going to play at that level, it doesn’t matter where you take him.â€

He even says himself that he would have been taken.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Pryor said. “He may only be a role guy in the NHL, but we think he has a real good chance to play in the NHL, which is the biggest thing. Look at the percentages of guys playing in the league. It gets less and less each round. So, we wanted to jump up a little bit to grab him because we feel he’s going to be in the NHL and anytime you can get a guy who’s going to play at that level, it doesn’t matter where you take him.â€

That's my biggest issue here. I don't think you should be drafted a guy there you think is only going to be a role player in the NHL just because you think it makes your draft looks better by having a better shot at producing an "NHLer" in it.

I think the point of the draft is shooting for talent. At the 3rd round you should still be drafting guys you think can be 3rd line players and maybe part-time 2nd line. Even if that chance is extremely low. You don't go for a 4th line player just because you think he has a better chance at him.

You go for the high ceiling, not for the lower floor. Maybe you get it wrong 4 out of 5 years, but that 1 year of hitting is worth the 4 years of failure and more important than getting a 4th line role player 2 or 3 years out of 5 drafts.

RJ8812*

Andreas Nodl is a UFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTTA SIGN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember when half the posters here cried when Homer waived him out of town?

LOL

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Looking at the Oilers roster is pretty funny. They will have like 53 million in cap space next year, but like 4 players signed(that number includes them getting rid of Horcoff). They will have a ton of work to do. Especially when Shultz, Yak, and RNH all are RFA's at the same time there. Going to be interesting. They will have a ton of talent locked up to big money. Even if it is 6 million per for each of them.

Yak-6 million
RNH- 6 million
Eberle-6 million
Hall-6 mill
Shultz-6 million maybe??
Gagner- Who knows, if he signs there, I say close to 5 million on a 4 year deal.

They might have soe trouble down the road with all that money tied up to those players.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Also if the Flyers are trying to trade Coburn, we should try to move him for Calgary's first rounder next year. Would be hilarious because Calgary told Feaster he needs to get them to the playoffs, and he likely won't haha. We could have a lottery pick again

Also per Eklund

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...go-KingsBoltsBruins-Talk/1/52490#.UdMJQvlwcrU

Per three sources the Lecavalier sweeps looks to be down to Dallas and Philly. That is for now of course. Teams can jump in or out still and we could hear something as early as today or tomorrow...

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Also if the Flyers are trying to trade Coburn, we should try to move him for Calgary's first rounder next year. Would be hilarious because Calgary told Feaster he needs to get them to the playoffs, and he likely won't haha. We could have a lottery pick again

Also per Eklund

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...go-KingsBoltsBruins-Talk/1/52490#.UdMJQvlwcrU

Yea I was thinking this as well. A lot of teams make this trade thinking there first won't be low and it's not much to give up kinda like Toronto. If we could get a top 10 pick in next years draft I'd be pretty happy. Not sure how Calgary does any better than 20th.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware

Also per Eklund

That only works if we fail to make playoffs and Holmer gets fired.
Then we might make a decent defenseman pick with Calgary's pick.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'm actually warming up to Tim Thomas. Yeah, I have problems with him personally and his beliefs and a lot of the dumb things he says, but he does have the potential to come in here and play very well. He was great with the bruins (Albiet behind a great defense) and has been good before after coming back from being away from the NHL. If its only for a few years, I won't mind as long as he plays well. I have concerns about giving him any more than 2 year deal because of his age, but he strikes me as the type of guy who could play til he was 50 if he had the mind to.

That said, if he comes in here and proves to be a distraction and starts running his mouth like a jackass about things that don't have anything to do with hockey, I'm going to hate him even more than I already do.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
That only works if we fail to make playoffs and Holmer gets fired.
Then we might make a decent defenseman pick with Calgary's pick.

We have drafted 8 defenseman in the last two years of the draft. Two of them this year who are consider top tier defense prospects(one last year in the third round who in consider top as well), they need time to develop though. I don't see how this would only work if we fail to make the playoffs though, that doesn't make any sense.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I'm actually warming up to Tim Thomas. Yeah, I have problems with him personally and his beliefs and a lot of the dumb things he says, but he does have the potential to come in here and play very well. He was great with the bruins (Albiet behind a great defense) and has been good before after coming back from being away from the NHL. If its only for a few years, I won't mind as long as he plays well. I have concerns about giving him any more than 2 year deal because of his age, but he strikes me as the type of guy who could play til he was 50 if he had the mind to.

That said, if he comes in here and proves to be a distraction and starts running his mouth like a jackass about things that don't have anything to do with hockey, I'm going to hate him even more than I already do.

We dealt long enough with "Deep Space 9" Bryzgalov.

It's nothing new anymore.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
We dealt long enough with "Deep Space 9" Bryzgalov.

It's nothing new anymore.

At least Bryz was talking about things that are harmless/comical and aren't rooted in politics. Im glad to see him go, but honestly Bryz seems like a nice guy. Idk that you could say the same for Tim Thomas. He kind of seems like an ass.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
We have drafted 8 defenseman in the last two years of the draft. Two of them this year who are consider top tier defense prospects(one last year in the third round who in consider top as well), they need time to develop though. I don't see how this would only work if we fail to make the playoffs though, that doesn't make any sense.

I don't get it either.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
What is Russell's contract status for next season? It might be wise to claim him and try to bring in a guy like Blum. Having a lot of competition couldn't hurt. This defense needs to get a little less expensive gong forward as well IMO.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
At least Bryz was talking about things that are harmless/comical and aren't rooted in politics. Im glad to see him go, but honestly Bryz seems like a nice guy. Idk that you could say the same for Tim Thomas. He kind of seems like an ass.

:laugh:

Imagine the next game between the Flyers with Thomas in net against the poster boys of the leage, the Angel Penguins.

I can feel the hate from everyone, not a Flyers fan, already.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
What is Russell's contract status for next season? It might be wise to claim him and try to bring in a guy like Blum. Having a lot of competition couldn't hurt. This defense needs to get a little less expensive gong forward as well IMO.

Came in here to post about this. I think it would be wise to claim him, even though we do kind of have a bunch of defenders in the way right now. But having him would make it a lot easier to move Meszaros, and Russell's best asset is his puck-moving ability, something we obviously lack (No, Streit doesn't solve this problem). Blues fans seem unhappy he's on waivers, I think we should grab him up.

He is currently a RFA, so it's odd that St. Louis would waive him, but whatever.

Kimmo - Luke
Coburn - Streit
Gus - Grossmann/Russell
Grossmann/Russell

Now that I think of it, Grossmann is a beast when healthy, and I feel like Gustaffson has earned his spot. I actually think Russell would be a better fit for this team than Streit, but whatever. The more I think about it, the more I really dislike the Streit signing.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware

If we do not make playoffs, Holmer is gone.
Reason I said that is I have no confidence that any of these numerous defenseman
picks will ever become NHL quality players.
All these late round picks, we will be lucky to get a couple of 3rd pairing guys with them.
Our best developed NHL player is Gustafsson, he was not even drafted.
Wasted picks as usual. Holmer only does good drafting forwards in 1st round.
Holmgren has failed so far drafting defense in first round, til he succeeds,
I have my doubts about his competence in drafting defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad