Speculation: Part VIII: Post-Draft, Rumors, Speculation, Free Agency Opens Friday (July 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Nashville invests a lot of high picks on defensemen. Conversely, they don't invest as many on forwards which is why their offense stinks. A lot of pundits are raving about how lucky they were to get Seth Jones but in reality that was the worst possible outcome for them at four. They still have nobody who can score.

Yeah and there really is nothing out there this offseason that they could bring in. A lot of the big name guys are complimentary players that need to be on a line with someone else to flourish.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Or of they ever decide to pay for more than an AHL forward lineup.

I don't even think it's a money thing as much as it's a philosophy issue. They won't bring on a forward that isn't at least good defensively. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some of the defensive responsibility to bring in a gamebreaker or two.

Nashville invests a lot of high picks on defensemen. Conversely, they don't invest as many on forwards which is why their offense stinks. A lot of pundits are raving about how lucky they were to get Seth Jones but in reality that was the worst possible outcome for them at four. They still have nobody who can score.

I'll never fault them four taking Jones at four, despite the fact that need would have had them take a forward. Both Tampa and Florida are going to regret that one in a couple of years. Barkov and Drouin are good players, but Jones has the potential to be the best defenseman in the league. I think Nashville will be alright with Weber, Jones, and Rinne dominating.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska

I think Barry Trotz has a ton of influence in how this organization operates. He stresses defensive stability in his coaching, and probably wants that focus transfered throughout the Predators organization as a whole. This is of course speculation, but I bet he has a big say in which coaches get hired at all levels, and probably, some of the scouts they use. There is a good reason why they are so effective in developing dmen.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Can't win if you can't score. Weber & Rinne will just get older. Rinne will be 31 next year.

I don't fault them for getting Jones either, no brainer, but they really needed a high end forward.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Chances are they will be near the bottom again next year. They'll have a shot to grab a big name in next year's draft (though I don't know if that class compares to this one). And they have Forsberg, who may not be a big time point scorer, but he will be a solid player to have moving forward.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Chances are they will be near the bottom again next year. They'll have a shot to grab a big name in next year's draft (though I don't know if that class compares to this one). And they have Forsberg, who may not be a big time point scorer, but he will be a solid player to have moving forward.

Valid, but then you are going into next year with Rinne going on 32 still trying to find scoring. At some point Rinne will start to slow down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Can't win if you can't score. Weber & Rinne will just get older. Rinne will be 31 next year.

I don't fault them for getting Jones either, no brainer, but they really needed a high end forward.

Jones for BSchenn? 4th overall in 2013 for 5th overall in 2009.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I just can't believe the only rumor right now surrounding the Flyers is the Coburn one. Ryan front calmed down and there is nothing else being leaked. Either we are up to something really big, or we really are just letting our youth grow and keeping that core intact.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I just can't believe the only rumor right now surrounding the Flyers is the Coburn one. Ryan front calmed down and there is nothing else being leaked. Either we are up to something really big, or we really are just letting our youth grow and keeping that core intact.

The deals we don't hear about are usually the ones that get done. I'm still nervous.

And just some FYI stuff, I was wondering about it and just seen this info...

The figures below list the qualifying offers extended today by the Flyers:

(D) Erik Gustafsson — $850,500
(D) Brandon Manning — $715,000
(D) Oliver Lauridsen — $643,500
(LW) Eric Wellwood — $594,000

source:http://thehockeyguys.net/flyers-extend-qualifying-offers-trade-for-newbury/

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The deals we don't hear about are usually the ones that get done. I'm still nervous.

And just some FYI stuff, I was wondering about it and just seen this info...

source:http://thehockeyguys.net/flyers-extend-qualifying-offers-trade-for-newbury/

Yep I am a little nervous as well. I think if we make any moves it will come by Thursday though, so we have an understanding of exactly what we want to go for in free agency.

Also we qualified them yesterday I believe. Poile I believe is having a press conference down in Nashville today, most likely to announce that Blum and Halischuk wont get qualified. Hopefully Homer gives him a look.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Just furthering the rumors of Timmy Thomas coming here.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...switches-to-nhl-free-agents-offer-sheets.html

Looks like he made the decision some time ago.

Considering Thomas's gear recently hasn't had much of anything to do with his teas color scheme (the all white + silver gear he had with the bruins) id say that this likely doesn't have anything to do with where he'll sign. Why would he order new equipment when nothing is guaranteed? He probably just got his old gear updated to new equipment.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I would seriously give Blum a shot here. Maybe give him a new system to do well in. Sign him for cheap and then trade Mez for a pick.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Gus

Actually... nevermind, we don't really need him :laugh:.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
https://twitter.com/JimStarkSports

Don't know if he can be trust on but take it for what it's worth.

From JIM STARK's twitter account.

"Was also told this morning that Lecavalier's decision could come down any time now and #Flyers are 1 of 3 teams he is now considering"

"@kevinskele Trade market still possible. Halak and Hiller, not Miller."

"I can tell you this right now baring sumthing unexpected Tim Thomas will be with #Flyers very soon. Halak/Hiller remain small possibilities"

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I followed that guy last year. Didn't get 1 prediction right. Then claimed things changed at the last minute.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I would seriously give Blum a shot here. Maybe give him a new system to do well in. Sign him for cheap and then trade Mez for a pick.

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Gus

Actually... nevermind, we don't really need him :laugh:.

Yeah I know what you mean but he'd be really nice to have when Grossmann inevitably gets injured (knee or head). I would much prefer to have a guy like Blum to insert then Gervais.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad