Speculation: Part VIII: Post-Draft, Rumors, Speculation, Free Agency Opens Friday (July 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Number 8....

bradmarsh.jpg

-------------------------------------

Toronto Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...od-highlights-nhlfree-agency/article12944573/

Something similar has been introduced in the NHL as part of its new collective agreement, although in this lockout-condensed season, the period will be just two days (Wednesday and Thursday).

While free agency won’t officially open until Friday at noon, many teams, players and agents are treating that date as a mere formality.

Just as the NBA had teams such as the New Orleans Pelicans showing up in person late at night to shove a pile of money at 2010 rookie of the year Tyreke Evans on Monday, the same could well happen two days later in hockey.

“For all intents and purposes, free agency starts tomorrow,” was the chorus from multiple NHL executives and agents Tuesday.

To what extent deals will get done before Friday is difficult to say, but it’s expected at least a few players will be off the market quickly.

Teams are allowed to make verbal agreements Wednesday and Thursday, and in the NBA, those are often leaked long before ink meets paper on an actual contract.

All that NHL general managers would admit last weekend is they will use the period to get a head start.

“We’re going to talk to people,” new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill said. “We’ll wait until after the draft, wait until the dust settles, and we’ll sit down and address that.”

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I could see Benoit Pouliot being a realistic option. Goes along with the "size on the wings" mantra, and we do have a hole in our bottom six. Pouliot would be a nice fill.

Talbot-Laughton-Pouliot would be a great and extremely effective fourth line.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
I could see Benoit Pouliot being a realistic option. Goes along with the "size on the wings" mantra, and we do have a hole in our bottom six. Pouliot would be a nice fill.

Talbot-Laughton-Pouliot would be a great and extremely effective fourth line.

pouliot is a skill player, and thats all he is...but hes not good enough to be top 6 in the nhl

he is a waste of a 4th line spot

keep him in the ahl where he belongs

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Yeah... stay away from Lacavalier...

You do realize Couturier is 20 years old, right? To put him in a second line center role and expect 25+ goals is pretty irrational and youre going to be sadly disappointed then screaming to trade him next summer because he stinks. Why are you rushing him? he's playing in the NHL and learning, he's not buried on the Phantoms. You get a chance to sign Lecavalier and his 54% face offs to play your second line you do it, and in two years you swap him out for Couturier when ready.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Wouldn't mind Vinny for cheap. Wouldn't mind Morrow for cheap. Stalberg cheap. Keep Gagne. Still would love LaRose and Lombardi. Or Mason Raymond. A healthy Raymond and Lombardi? Immediately the fastest team in the NHL.

edit: then again I wouldn't mind just staying put and bringing guys like Raffl, Noebels, Cousins, Akeson, McGinn and Straka in for a shot for the final spot or two.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Oiler fan here, what do you think would be fair for Coburn.

I want Klefbom+MPS for Coburn+Cousins.

Understandable if you guys don't like that.

Otherwise, MPS+Marancin would get it done for me. That's as low as I'd go on the Flyers end, though.

JayB

May 30, 2012
I would like add some gritt and size to our middle six from UFA(Clowe/Clarkson/Morrow). Real need is goalscorer(Ryan), 4thline center (Henricks), better defender for replace Coburm(Myers) or trade for cheaper (Sbisa). After that if possible go for Ufa to bring more guys.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I believe the Flyers will round out their top-9 with a UFA signing and it doesn't matter if they can get on track with Gagne or not. Gagne is related to McGinn and that's about it.

Matt Read will probably be used as a RW on Couts line, because of his not so bad 2-way-play and scoring touch.

I'd say

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
UFA-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne(or McGinn)-Couts-Read

is a given.

Question is, who could be the signing?

Homer said he wants to get bigger on the wings, so my guess

1. Morrow
2. Penner
3. Clowe

4. MacArthur

Out of them, I'd prefer Morrow on a max. 2-year deal.

Unfortunately, Homer will probably deal for Clowe's rights and sign him before Friday. :cry:

Forget about Horton or Iginla. One is to pricey and the other wants to play for a clear cut contender.

In case of our "top" prospects.

Personally, I want Laughton to start the season with the Phantoms with top line minutes, PP and PK time.

The quality time should benefit him (and Cousins btw).

Something like

Cousins-Laughton-Alderson
Noebels-Flanagan-Akeson
Wellwood/McGinn (if Gagne signed)-Holmstrom-Bourdson

Of course, if we get Lecavalier then :dunno:

Last edited:

JayB

May 30, 2012
1.Ryan

2.Clowe
3.Clarkson
4.Morrow
5.Iginla
6. Hendricks

So

Hartnel G Voracek
Ufa Schenn Simmonds
Ufa/Mginn Couts Read
Rinaldo Ufa Talbot

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
1.Ryan

2.Clowe
3.Clarkson
4.Morrow
5.Iginla
6. Hendricks

So

Hartnel G Voracek
Ufa Schenn Simmonds
Ufa/Mginn Couts Read
Rinaldo Ufa Talbot

Pretty much what I've written but I focused solely on UFA's.

If he makes another push for B. Ryan how can you expect the same forward line-up? I am curious, what do you think the Flyers give up when the Ducks,reportedly, look for a kings ransom?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There are some organizations that just get phenomenally lucky with certain positions on the ice. The Nashville Predators are the perfect example of that with defensemen. It's crazy how many hits they've taken, yet they still continue to produce top end defensive talent. "Oh you lost Kimmo Timonen? Here's Weber and Suter, they're ready to step up and become elite players." " Oh, you lost Hamhuis to free agency? Here's Josi and Ellis. They're ready to take the next step." "What's that? You lost Suter? Here's Seth Jones at number 4 in the draft. Enjoy."

It's like the defensive hockey gods just declared Nashville as their breeding grounds. How he fell to number 4, I'll never know. If that franchise could ever find one dynamic offensive player that isn't a flake like Radulov, they'll launch into one of the premier organizations.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
There are some organizations that just get phenomenally lucky with certain positions on the ice. The Nashville Predators are the perfect example of that with defensemen. It's crazy how many hits they've taken, yet they still continue to produce top end defensive talent. "Oh you lost Kimmo Timonen? Here's Weber and Suter, they're ready to step up and become elite players." " Oh, you lost Hamhuis to free agency? Here's Josi and Ellis. They're ready to take the next step." "What's that? You lost Suter? Here's Seth Jones at number 4 in the draft. Enjoy."

It's like the defensive hockey gods just declared Nashville as their breeding grounds. How he fell to number 4, I'll never know. If that franchise could ever find one dynamic offensive player that isn't a flake like Radulov, they'll launch into one of the premier organizations.

Or of they ever decide to pay for more than an AHL forward lineup.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Nashville invests a lot of high picks on defensemen. Conversely, they don't invest as many on forwards which is why their offense stinks. A lot of pundits are raving about how lucky they were to get Seth Jones but in reality that was the worst possible outcome for them at four. They still have nobody who can score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad