Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Given the recent revelation that Glendale may be dealing with other groups interested in purchasing the Coyotes, what does everyone think the odds are that TN will have something major to announce December 31?

Even if the Coyotes are sold to a local investor (stay-put) I'm confident in predicting a very positive announcement coming from 300 Portage Avenue in the very near future. Psychic Gina told me so. :naughty:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I wouldn't read too much into that - it's just Steve Simmons and his mouthpiece article - all he kept talking about earlier this year was how dysfunctional the Toronto Argos were and how terrible they were going to be - and they seem to be doing just fine.
Don't believe anything he says.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Just to mention - The MTS Center group (TNSE) has just been painting their new "Exhibition Hall" across the MTS centre this week.

Its looking bland compared to the MTSC (its just black with a white beige color) but will be hosting exhibition things, like the cadaver thing, and Titanic displays.

It is interesting to note however, they are not viewing it as a permanent thing...more of patch work for their ultimate design which includes plans for a high rise hotel/office space.

http://mtscentre.ca/bodies/

Also, noted the exhibition game between Tampa and Chicago is on the 22nd of Sept.

I honestly dont know too many people who are interested in seeing that, given all the hoopala of the NHL coming back. People seem to just want their own team already haha.

"Patience"

Let things work out the way they are meant to..

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Wow. Looks like Steve Simmons has finally jumped on the Winnipeg bandwagon. Last May (2009) he was writing about how Bettman was so stubborn and spiteful to favour moving the Coyotes to Winnipeg even though the city (in Simmons eyes) lacked an adequate arena and ownership group.

I sent off an email to Steve, pointing to articles in the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail that held opposing viewpoints on the subject, and he wrote me back with this very terse reply:

Re: Winnipeg
Tue 5/19/09 5:32 PM
Steve Simmons <[email protected]>
Add to Contacts
To: [email protected]

You're dreaming
Will not happen - I talk to nhl people every day
Bettman doesn't care a whit about winnipeg - believe me.

I wonder what changed his mind...

rockefeller: yes, the building that will be used to show "Bodies" will not be an exhibition hall for very long, but there was an article in the Free Press today about how, once that building is finished being converted into a hotel, TNSE would look for another opportunity to land a building they could use to hold such events that just don`t work in an arena. The Freep also mentioned a second exhibition was being planned before the conversion to hotel, but TNSE wouldn't give details re. what the exhibit was. How did you find out it was a Titanic display?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Wow. Looks like Steve Simmons has finally jumped on the Winnipeg bandwagon. Last May (2009) he was writing about how Bettman was so stubborn and spiteful to favour moving the Coyotes to Winnipeg even though the city (in Simmons eyes) lacked an adequate arena and ownership group.

I sent off an email to Steve, pointing to articles in the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail that held opposing viewpoints on the subject, and he wrote me back with this very terse reply:

Re: Winnipeg
Tue 5/19/09 5:32 PM
Steve Simmons <[email protected]>
Add to Contacts
To: [email protected]

You're dreaming
Will not happen - I talk to nhl people every day
Bettman doesn't care a whit about winnipeg - believe me.

I wonder what changed his mind...

rockefeller: yes, the building that will be used to show "Bodies" will not be an exhibition hall for very long, but there was an article in the Free Press today about how, once that building is finished being converted into a hotel, TNSE would look for another opportunity to land a building they could use to hold such events that just don`t work in an arena. The Freep also mentioned a second exhibition was being planned before the conversion to hotel, but TNSE wouldn't give details re. what the exhibit was. How did you find out it was a Titanic display?

ah yes, thats interesting to note. I do not get the free press, but I heard about the Titanic thing from a friend, and again saw it on skyscraperpage forums. Those people are usually very "in" on these kinds of things. So I just assumed that TNSE had already disclosed that.

However, now that they have not said that, I have no idea what the second one will be. Strange how the Exhibition hall is only temporary though...perhaps because it is on a lease?

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Not sure of all the details. Perhaps because it is a big space that they have access to that they can get ready in time to host Bodies and pad their pockets with cash. The plan is to turn that place into a hotel owned by TNSE, then they will eyeball another property for future exhibits. I wonder if the Winnipeg Convention Centre people are getting nervous? Ironic that TNSE has the monopoly over pro hockey with the no competition clause that prevents other people from owning a hockey arena of that size (and perhaps an indoor concert venue as well) without prior permission, but no such clause exists to keep TNSE from expanding into the minor hockey, rec hockey, outdoor concerts and exhibit businesses as they are doing. Very clever on their part. Wonder why the Convention Centre never brought in Bodies? It is at Calgary's science centre right now, and it sounds massive from the details on their website... They apparently had to give away a lot of their other exhibits to other museums to fit Bodies in (they are redoing their museum anyways so will have all new exhibits) and, they require you to call ahead and choose a date and time when you'd like to see Bodies... you can't just show up at the door! Wonder if that will happen in Winnipeg.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Not sure of all the details. Perhaps because it is a big space that they have access to that they can get ready in time to host Bodies and pad their pockets with cash. The plan is to turn that place into a hotel owned by TNSE, then they will eyeball another property for future exhibits. I wonder if the Winnipeg Convention Centre people are getting nervous? Ironic that TNSE has the monopoly over pro hockey with the no competition clause that prevents other people from owning a hockey arena of that size (and perhaps an indoor concert venue as well) without prior permission, but no such clause exists to keep TNSE from expanding into the minor hockey, rec hockey, outdoor concerts and exhibit businesses as they are doing. Very clever on their part. Wonder why the Convention Centre never brought in Bodies? It is at Calgary's science centre right now, and it sounds massive from the details on their website... They apparently had to give away a lot of their other exhibits to other museums to fit Bodies in (they are redoing their museum anyways so will have all new exhibits) and, they require you to call ahead and choose a date and time when you'd like to see Bodies... you can't just show up at the door! Wonder if that will happen in Winnipeg.

I'm certainly excited. I've already dissected cadavers, its gonna be cool to see them in a totally different light; as "bodies" and not cadavers per se.

Will the exhibition hall be big enough?

And yes, I bet Convention Centre is gonna bust their ass on that expansion (which is currently in the plans btw)

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
to be fair lindrossfan88 (Im replying to you in this thread b/c it is more appropriate, but it is regarding your quote from the QC thread:
Fair enough
roccerfeller that 2.3 million number you posted is double the size of calgary. you winnipeg guys should have mentioned it before.
)

I was actually supporting both you and peter sullivan's notions:

Yours that 1 million is not exactly within a 100km radius, more in a 4 hours driving radius (however it is still around 900k within 100km I think)

And peter's in that there is a large market ultimately; more than meets the eye

I didn't realize 2.3 million is larger than Calgary's trade area, but also note that the Manitoba/US border is the busiest border between the BC/Washington and Ontario/US. Had a big part to play in Winnipeg winning the Inland Port over other cities.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Probably. Also WPG spans a wider area. Calgary has Van to the west and Regina to the east.

Regina is closer to Winnipeg than cowtown.

I am dubious about the value of this "trade area" as it is not exclusive and the boundaries are apparently arbitrary. for example, people in Fargo are more naturally drawn to the Twin Cities than Winnipeg. It's the same distance, but the same country, same currency, larger centre, no border, better transportation connections etc.

on another note, free movement of trade does not necessarily mean free movement of people. so even if Pembina crossing is busy with semis it doesn't mean that border is packed with tourists.

apparently, toruism is dropping... http://www.montrealgazette.com/trav...te+Canada+tourism+contends/3365090/story.html

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
^realistically the jets market will be heavily based on the 925k+ within the hour drive of the city...

2000 americans per day visit manitoba on average so there is some tourist market to help support it....that will only increase with the completion of the human rights museum.

while quebec is in a more heavily popualted area, it is the second city of that province and will have to fight for coverage (tv and otherwise) against a much much larger market and deeply rooted franchise only 2 hours away....winnipeg, while in a lower density area will be the only game for a long way so its market reach will be extended.

both will be fine.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
^realistically the jets market will be heavily based on the 925k+ within the hour drive of the city...

2000 americans per day visit manitoba on average so there is some tourist market to help support it....that will only increase with the completion of the human rights museum.

while quebec is in a more heavily popualted area, it is the second city of that province and will have to fight for coverage (tv and otherwise) against a much much larger market and deeply rooted franchise only 2 hours away....winnipeg, while in a lower density area will be the only game for a long way so its market reach will be extended.

both will be fine.

The Quebec team won't have to fight for media coverage if they're built by the steamroller Quebecor. ;)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This news might not signify that much vis-a-vis the TNSE's interest in purchasing an NHL franchise, but they are investing about $1 million to make improvements to the press boxes at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. This would bring them up to NHL standards, and address one of the specified deficiencies with the building. Predictably, the TNSE spokesperson has cautioned not to read anything into this with respect to the possible purchase of an NHL franchise. They have steadfastly refused to foster any undue attention to the issue, even when they had made a bona fide offer to the NHL.

Link here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/moose/mts-centre-upsizing-press-box-101144414.html

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This news might not signify that much vis-a-vis the TNSE's interest in purchasing an NHL franchise, but they are investing about $1 million to make improvements to the press boxes at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.

I think it signifies a lot. It doesn't mean a team is coming next week or even next year, but it does show that TNSE is doing all the right things and it is just a matter of time. No one is going to spend a $1 million to upgrade their pressbox to NHL spec, if there was no chance of it happening. I think the NHL has accepted the offer and TNSE has been told they will get the next team that has to move, but they do have to invest in some improvements.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
More encouraging words from Don Cherry:

While the Leafs are the only one of Canada’s six NHL teams not to play a playoff game since 2004, there will soon be another NHL team in Canada, Cherry said.

“It’ll happen in Winnipeg,” he said. “I would say Phoenix will be the team. If you’ve watched Coach’s Corner, I’ve guaranteed within two years, Phoenix will be in Winnipeg. They have to go. They’ll never draw in Phoenix. They had a winning team this past year and they still didn’t draw. They can’t do much better than they did, to make the playoffs and still not draw. So they will be in Winnipeg and they’ll jam them in there.”

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/08/21/15099151.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad