Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I've been searching all over google for recent articles about this subject but the best I've found was from early March. Where is everyone getting their information from?

Do a google news search, rather than just a plain google search. For example:

http://news.google.ca/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=ca&hl=en&q=winnipeg+nhl

True North just released a statement regarding the Coyotes' situation and their interest in an NHL team. Sounds pretty respectful to the NHL's relocation process, but definitely confirms that they are aware of the situation and ready to act if needed.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-statement-on-Coyotes-situation-93126669.html

While we understand the current situation with the hockey team in Glendale is an uncertain one, we will continue to respect the efforts of all parties involved to maintain the Coyotes in Arizona, including those of the National Hockey League. As we have stated many times in the past, if that situation changes, we are certainly open to reviewing the opportunity with the NHL.
"We would further point out that while Mr. David Thomson is an equity investor in True North Sports & Entertainment, he does not take an active role in the day-to-day operations of the company. Mr. Thomson is however aware of the situation involving the National Hockey League in Glendale and is very supportive of True North’s efforts to return the NHL to Winnipeg, should the opportunity arise."

Can we at least take this as confirmation that True North is interested in acquiring an NHL team for Winnipeg? Or do we still want to debate that one?

smokes

May 26, 2009
The Manitoba provincial government involvement (and I need to be careful here as I have not been vetted...) is rumoured to be to help cover the relocation costs of a team coming to Winnipeg, just has they might help if a large corporation decided to relocate its operation. Just what I heard, so I can't be entirely sure...;)

ovi1

Mar 7, 2010
WINNIPEG
The Manitoba provincial government involvement (and I need to be careful here as I have not been vetted...) is rumoured to be to help cover the relocation costs of a team coming to Winnipeg, just has they might help if a large corporation decided to relocate its operation. Just what I heard, so I can't be entirely sure...;)

public money involved? not likely

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Actually, this is Part 3. The thread closed down earlier tonight was Part 2. I started Part 1 almost a year ago today. But who's counting? ;)

The Globe and Mail is reporting that the NHL has drawn up a schedule for next season which includes Winnipeg, just in case the Coyotes move there.

In Winnipeg, David Thomson awaits, one of the richest people on earth, ready and willing to buy the Coyotes or another team and move them into the MTS Centre. Would the team be profitable in those cozy confines? Would Winnipeggers ante up in the necessary numbers for high-priced NHL tickets? Hard to know, but since Thomson isn't asking for guarantees or hand-outs or subsidies or special tax zones, it apparently doesn't matter all that much to him.

Barring a spit-and-binder-twine deal with Ice Edge, which even if announced could unravel just as fast as the Reinsdorf deal did, Phoenix-to-Winnipeg to start the 2010-11 season seems a reasonable bet – so reasonable, that a schedule has already been drawn up for just that eventuality.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...st-in-nhls-stampede-to-canada/article1561368/

The article also suggests the Thrashers may be relocating, and that similar rumours have begun surfacing re. the Islanders. Touches on Quebec City's planned new arena.

Done, actually (rumoured, of course). Relocation concessions are not uncommon for any large business entity.

I don't get why the province would be giving money to help with the purchase price of a team to be relocated when an ownership group includes a billionaire... Money towards infrastructure upgrades near the arena would make more sense to me. But yes, the province is involved in some way. Even if it is just that they have been privy to some private information. Don Cherry cited former Premier Gary Doer as a source when discussing the NHL's return to Winnipeg earlier this year.

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
These recent Tweets from TSN's Dreger could be some how significant:

This is an insurance policy for the NHL and nothing more.

The assurances the NHL seeks from Glendale only applies of (if?) the NHL forgoes the relocation option and new ownership or the City breaches purchase proposal...headed in that direction.

GHOST

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Just looking back over some other stuff I'd written, and noticed the Global News Saskatoon report (from the thread before this one) that says the NHL has given Glendale and Ice Edge until May 14 to reach a deal kind've makes Pierre LeBrun (Canadian Press) look like Nostradamus.

He was on Hockey Night in Canada back in late March, saying that if Ice Edge couldn't find the $140-$160 million necessary to purchase the team, we could be talking about Coyotes relocation by mid-May.

It's part 2 of TNSE discussion. (Which followed general discussion of Winnipeg thread.)

My original thread was titled "Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre group talking to NHL" or something along those lines... Basically I broke it down that way because no one on HF would have known what TNSE stood for at that time. All 3 threads have been about TNSE. It all started with TNSE talking to the Globe and Mail last May. Yes, the first thread may have veered off into some general Winnipeg discussion from time to time, but so did the last edition of this thread.

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
IMO, the very fact that the NHL has drawn up a "Winnipeg" schedule speaks volumes.

I agree, but we can't get ahead of ourselves. I think it is fairly obvious that Winnipeg is THE relocation option if things can't be worked out in Glendale. Time will tell. If this situation does not work out for Winnipeg, there may be other options going forward.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Can we at least take this as confirmation that True North is interested in acquiring an NHL team for Winnipeg? Or do we still want to debate that one?

TNSE's statement:

"While we understand the current situation with the hockey team in Glendale is an uncertain one, we will continue to respect the efforts of all parties involved to maintain the Coyotes in Arizona, including those of the National Hockey League. As we have stated many times in the past, if that situation changes, we are certainly open to reviewing the opportunity with the NHL.

"We would further point out that while Mr. David Thomson is an equity investor in True North Sports & Entertainment, he does not take an active role in the day-to-day operations of the company. Mr. Thomson is however aware of the situation involving the National Hockey League in Glendale and is very supportive of True North’s efforts to return the NHL to Winnipeg, should the opportunity arise."

:dunno:

GHOST

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
What cannot be debated is that Mark Chipman has done a great job with the Moose and the MTS Centre. As I read the statement, they're trying to avoid saying or doing anything which would lead to a Balsillie-style fallout with the league, but it really looks to me like it's all but done.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
In the last thread someone stated they didn't understand what Winnipeg and 'Jets' had in common. Winnipeg is home to the Northern air response for the Canadian forces. Winnipeg also has a large aerospace industry.

Home to:

Standard Aero
Magellan Aerospace
Bristol Aerospace
Boeing
Aveos

There are 2 or 3 more but my brain is already hurting. The CFL football team Blue Bombers are another 'air-plane' named team.

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
Im confused....Im away on business for a few weeks, and I come back to Allbydesign being pro Winnipeg??? Arent you the guy whos not from Winnipeg, and is here involuntarily for work, and who thinks Winnipeg is a big crap hole, and will never support an NHL franchise???

Fugu

My original thread was titled "Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre group talking to NHL" or something along those lines... Basically I broke it down that way because no one on HF would have known what TNSE stood for at that time. All 3 threads have been about TNSE. It all started with TNSE talking to the Globe and Mail last May. Yes, the first thread may have veered off into some general Winnipeg discussion from time to time, but so did the last edition of this thread.

The threads you're calling part 2 & 3 deal with [mainly] the alleged back up plan if the Coyotes fail to stay in Phoenix. Prior to that, we had names like Atlanta and an expansion team as the focus, with nothing publicly stated by any involved party.

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
Curt Keilback

Jets buzz getting louder
Global News: Friday, May 7, 2010

The Winnipeg Jets franchise could be closer to coming home than ever before.

Sources say a deal with Chicago sports mogul Jerry Reinsdorf is in jeopardy, resurrecting a bid by Ice Edge Holdings to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. But that could require host city Glendale to absorb the team's operating losses, which city officials say they won't do.

The former voice of the Jets and Coyotes tells Global News his sources in Phoenix say Reinsdorf's bid is dead and the NHL has given Ice Edge and Glendale until next Friday to strike a deal.

“That is the date they’ve got to either keep the team with ice edge holdings in Phoenix or it comes to Winnipeg,†said Curt Keilback.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Jets+buzz+getting+louder/3000859/story.html

Sure hope Kurt is fired up about getting his old job again.

Sure would love to have him back as voice of the Jets...

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
Jets buzz getting louder
Global News: Friday, May 7, 2010

The Winnipeg Jets franchise could be closer to coming home than ever before.

Sources say a deal with Chicago sports mogul Jerry Reinsdorf is in jeopardy, resurrecting a bid by Ice Edge Holdings to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. But that could require host city Glendale to absorb the team's operating losses, which city officials say they won't do.

The former voice of the Jets and Coyotes tells Global News his sources in Phoenix say Reinsdorf's bid is dead and the NHL has given Ice Edge and Glendale until next Friday to strike a deal.

“That is the date they’ve got to either keep the team with ice edge holdings in Phoenix or it comes to Winnipeg,†said Curt Keilback.

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Jets+buzz+getting+louder/3000859/story.html

Sure hope Kurt is fired up about getting his old job again.

Sure would love to have him back as voice of the Jets...

Kurt was awesome! "Essensa the save!"

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Im confused....Im away on business for a few weeks, and I come back to Allbydesign being pro Winnipeg??? Arent you the guy whos not from Winnipeg, and is here involuntarily for work, and who thinks Winnipeg is a big crap hole, and will never support an NHL franchise???

Just to clarify.

I am not in Winnipeg involuntarily. I am here by choice. I arrived here through a job transfer but have laid down roots and am staying. I could have left 6 years ago.

I don't think Winnipeg is a big crap hole, nor have I ever identified it as such. I do believe portions of Winnipeg, such as Flora and Mcgreggor, is a craphole. Let's face it, every nice city has its crappy parts.

I never stated Winnipeg wouldn't support a franchise. I am a season ticket holder of the Moose and can afford to be. I don't want an NHL franchise here because I wouldn't be able to bring my family to any where near as many games. There are many of us here who like thingsthe way they are, I am one of them.

To Summarize.

Winnipeg Good
NHL bad
Choice out of my control.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
Kurt was awesome! "Essensa the save!"

Yeah, he was pretty damn good...my favorite was always the three syllable, drawn out call...

"Glove saaaaaave by Ess....en......SAAAAA!"

I couldn't even count how many times I fell asleep as a kid in elementary school listening to Kielback call the west coast games from such far-flung locations (for my eight-year old brain) like Edmonton, Calgary, Los Angeles and Vancouver..

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Keilback calling the final Jets regular season game in 96 on CKND (now Global):

smokes

May 26, 2009
The COG has an important meeting this week that reminds me of the final days of the Jets. At some point, the principle players had to admit defeat:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/11367/

About a third of the way through, Mayor Susan Thompson tearfully declares that it is over (as does Barry Shenkarow, the owner of the team, and John Loewen, head of the unsuccessful saviour group).

I suppose the situation in Phoenix is coming to a point where the major players will appear in either a celebratory press conference, or one of the more somber variety Winnipeg experienced over a decade ago. Somber Phoenix=jubilant Winnipeg. Jubilant Phoenix=dream on hold Winnipeg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad