Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
you have to remember that not only companies with HQ's in a city support sports franchises....all major banks have suites currently at the MTS centre and certainly would continue to....companies that have a major presence in the city but do not have their HQ there would still play a major role....PCL, Hudbay etc...

pretty funny wikipedia has k-tel on the list of large winnipeg companies.....maybe in 1981.

these are the largest companies based in winnipeg....all of them over $100m annual revenues

Great-West Lifeco Inc., Winnipeg
IGM Financial Inc., Winnipeg
Canadian Wheat Board, Winnipeg (Jl09)
Cargill Ltd., Winnipeg (My09)
James Richardson & Sons Ltd., Winnipeg
Centra Gas Manitoba Inc., Winnipeg (Mr09)
Canwest Global Communications Corp., Winnipeg (Au09)
Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board, Winnipeg (Mr09)
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Co., Winnipeg
Manitoba Telecom Services Inc., Winnipeg
North West Co. Fund, Winnipeg (Ja10)
New Flyer Industries Inc.*, Winnipeg (Ja10)
Manitoba Public Insurance Corp., Winnipeg (Fe09)
Paterson GlobalFoods Inc., Winnipeg (Jl09)
Manitoba Lotteries Corp., Winnipeg (Mr09)
Ridley Inc.*, Winnipeg (Jn09)
Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, Winnipeg (Mr09)
Winpak Ltd.*, Winnipeg
Boeing Canada Inc.*, Winnipeg
Princess Group Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
Bison Transport Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
WGI Westman Group Inc., Winnipeg
Buhler Industries Inc., Winnipeg (Se09)
Arctic Glacier Income Fund*, Winnipeg
Cangene Corp., Winnipeg (Jl09)
Ag Growth International Inc., Winnipeg
Boyd Group Income Fund, Winnipeg
Exchange Income Corp., Winnipeg
Pollard Holdings LP, Winnipeg
Empire Industries Ltd., Winnipeg (De08)
Manitoba Pork Marketing Co-op Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
Assiniboine Credit Union Ltd., Winnipeg
TruServ Canada Inc., Winnipeg (Ja09)
Artis REIT, Winnipeg
Granny's Poultry Cooperative

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I wondered in what dated edition of World Book or Wiki you'd found that earlier list. K-Tel didnt make the 2nd cut huh?. You telling me I can no longer buy a Veg-O-Matic, Dial-O-Matic, a Feather-Touch-Knife or a copy of Three Dog Nights Greatest Hits outta Winnipeg?.

Last edited:

dobiezeke*

I wondered in what dated edition of World Book or Wiki you'd found that earlier list. K-Tel didnt make the 2nd cut huh?. You telling me I can no longer buy a Veg-O-Matic, Dial-O-Matic, a Feather-Touch-Knife or a copy of Three Dog Nights Greatest Hits outta Winnipeg?.

Ktel is alive and kicking! You can get all the downloads you want...

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Roadtrips, the sports travel company is based in Winnipeg. I used them to book a western Canadian road trip two season ago.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
you have to remember that not only companies with HQ's in a city support sports franchises....all major banks have suites currently at the MTS centre and certainly would continue to....companies that have a major presence in the city but do not have their HQ there would still play a major role....PCL, Hudbay etc...

pretty funny wikipedia has k-tel on the list of large winnipeg companies.....maybe in 1981.

these are the largest companies based in winnipeg....all of them over $100m annual revenues

Great-West Lifeco Inc., Winnipeg
IGM Financial Inc., Winnipeg
Canadian Wheat Board, Winnipeg (Jl09)
Cargill Ltd., Winnipeg (My09)
James Richardson & Sons Ltd., Winnipeg
Centra Gas Manitoba Inc., Winnipeg (Mr09)
Canwest Global Communications Corp., Winnipeg (Au09)
Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board, Winnipeg (Mr09)
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Co., Winnipeg
Manitoba Telecom Services Inc., Winnipeg
North West Co. Fund, Winnipeg (Ja10)
New Flyer Industries Inc.*, Winnipeg (Ja10)
Manitoba Public Insurance Corp., Winnipeg (Fe09)
Paterson GlobalFoods Inc., Winnipeg (Jl09)
Manitoba Lotteries Corp., Winnipeg (Mr09)
Ridley Inc.*, Winnipeg (Jn09)
Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, Winnipeg (Mr09)
Winpak Ltd.*, Winnipeg
Boeing Canada Inc.*, Winnipeg
Princess Group Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
Bison Transport Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
WGI Westman Group Inc., Winnipeg
Buhler Industries Inc., Winnipeg (Se09)
Arctic Glacier Income Fund*, Winnipeg
Cangene Corp., Winnipeg (Jl09)
Ag Growth International Inc., Winnipeg
Boyd Group Income Fund, Winnipeg
Exchange Income Corp., Winnipeg
Pollard Holdings LP, Winnipeg
Empire Industries Ltd., Winnipeg (De08)
Manitoba Pork Marketing Co-op Inc., Winnipeg (De08)
Assiniboine Credit Union Ltd., Winnipeg
TruServ Canada Inc., Winnipeg (Ja09)
Artis REIT, Winnipeg
Granny's Poultry Cooperative

Ah, this is an informative list. I do suppose there are manufacturing corporations here too, in addition to what you mentioned (the list + banks). Coca Cola and Pepsi have manu. plants here too I believe. It doesnt get a lot of attention on these forums, but the Inland port will be huge. Once that gets rolling, it bodes well for Winnipeg's long term NHL prospects.

:laugh: This was great. I don;t know much about K Tel...I assume it was a big deal

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Well if Bettman won't hurry up and move the Jets back here, maybe the Mounties can help...

WINNIPEG — At least one local hockey fan thinks it’s criminal the Winnipeg Jets haven’t returned home.

A 33-year-old resident of Lundar, Manitoba is facing numerous charges after allegedly making a series of 911 calls which included demanding RCMP officers somehow bring the National Hockey League back to the province.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...nt-faces-charges-over-911-calls-98975869.html

... oh wait, criminal charges? Maybe that's not such a good idea then...

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site

jamwires

Sep 22, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
On a side note - I heard from a friend of mine that works for the Moose (so take that for what it's worth) - that they were throwing around ideas for a team name and logo (prior to Glendale voting to fund Phx's losses), and that one of the main ideas was the Winnipeg Falcons.

Google the Winnipeg Falcons if you don't know the heritage behind that potential name - but if the team isn't called the Jets, I think that may be a decent plan B.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
On a side note - I heard from a friend of mine that works for the Moose (so take that for what it's worth) - that they were throwing around ideas for a team name and logo (prior to Glendale voting to fund Phx's losses), and that one of the main ideas was the Winnipeg Falcons.

Google the Winnipeg Falcons if you don't know the heritage behind that potential name - but if the team isn't called the Jets, I think that may be a decent plan B.

I've heard rumors of the supposed team name being the "Winnipeg Falcons" as well, but I just don't understand it.

If you're going to honor local hockey history, why not just keep the name the "Jets"? Especially if it's the actually Jets franchise of all teams that are relocating back to Winnipeg?

I think there will be a huge public outcry if the Jets return to Winnipeg, but they're not renamed the "Jets".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Jets, but only if you use the original logo that looks a bit like an old school bottle cap with the hockey player in it. Barring that, I suggest you try the pre-Toronto 1907 "Winnipeg Maple Leafs" & request T.O. change its name back to the Toronto Trolleys", more in keeping with their pedestrian record, lack of speed & just general inconvenience & malaise'. :naughty:

I also like "Monarchs" & "Manitoba Bisons". "Falcons" is great, provided your 3rd jerseys the Team Canada version the original Falcons wore. That beautiful yellow, black & red number. "Selkirk Fishermen". Now theirs a handle. :laugh:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Jets, but only if you use the original logo that looks a bit like an old school bottle cap with the hockey player in it. Barring that, I suggest you try the pre-Toronto 1907 "Winnipeg Maple Leafs" & request T.O. change its name back to the Toronto Trolleys", more in keeping with their pedestrian record, lack of speed & just general inconvenience & malaise'. :naughty:

I also like "Monarchs" & "Manitoba Bisons". "Falcons" is great, provided your 3rd jerseys the Team Canada version the original Falcons wore. That beautiful yellow, black & red number. "Selkirk Fishermen". Now theirs a handle. :laugh:

Hey, I played for the Fishermen. :rant:

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

That's some hilarious stuff. Are you a sports writer? Either way... good writing.:yo:

If you reply "well, I tried to capture the spirit of the thing, my head will explode! :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That's some hilarious stuff. Are you a sports writer? Either way... good writing.:yo: If you reply "well, I tried to capture the spirit of the thing, my head will explode! :)

Actually its even more of a panic. Im a Leafs fan. :laugh:

Maybe Winnipeg can do something with the brand?..........

King of Arcadia

Feb 11, 2010
I think "Jets" would be the overwhelming favorite of the fans, but I get the impression True North wants to start their own history and move on. Which makes the "Falcons" a bit of a head scratcher although I love that name. Plus we already have the Atlanta Falcons so......Whatever name they choose I pray that isn't along the lines of a non-plural name like Avalanche or Wild.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
If and ONLY IF the Coyotes are the team to move back to Winnipeg should the team be called the Jets.
If any other franchise (relocation or expansion) was to move here, then a whole new name and logo should be produced. Falcons, Warriors, etc doesnt matter just as long as it is a new identity.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think "Jets" would be the overwhelming favorite of the fans, but I get the impression True North wants to start their own history and move on. Which makes the "Falcons" a bit of a head scratcher although I love that name. Plus we already have the Atlanta Falcons so......Whatever name they choose I pray that isn't along the lines of a non-plural name like Avalanche or Wild.

i get that impression as well but they didn't mind co-opting the Moose name from Minnesota for their AHL team so we shall see. the Jets has allot of history and i would prefer it but as long as its the NHL i would adapt.....the North stars in Minny switched to the Wild......Rockies to Avs......i think once the team is in place even if its a new name it will work itself out

its all about getting a deal done and getting hockey back and then the name will probably be a big deal at first but will be eclipsed by the excitement that the new team and new name will bring pretty quickly.....the Jets will always be a part of history if they are renamed.....that chapter has been written and can't be taken away....for better or worse ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.....the Jets will always be a part of history if they are renamed.....that chapter has been written and can't be taken away....for better or worse ;)

It sure has PS, and your right you cant take that away. Looking back, the truly greats, like "Cowboy" Howie Young, Morris Mott, Gerry Odrowski, Joey Zanussi, Jiri Hrivnak, Hannu Harvinpaa, Anssi Melametsa, Harjis Vitolinsh have all written a part of that history & proudly worn the bleu-blanc-rouge of; "da' Jets". And lets not forget Gary Bromley, the most underrated goalie in the annals of netkeeping. Yepp, Stu Kulak......

:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It sure has PS, and your right you cant take that away. Looking back, the truly greats, like "Cowboy" Howie Young, Morris Mott, Gerry Odrowski, Joey Zanussi, Jiri Hrivnak, Hannu Harvinpaa, Anssi Melametsa, Harjis Vitolinsh have all written a part of that history & proudly worn the bleu-blanc-rouge of; "da' Jets". And lets not forget Gary Bromley, the most underrated goalie in the annals of netkeeping. Yepp, Stu Kulak......

:laugh:

a veritable who's who of hockey legends Killion :sarcasm:.....strangely Winnipeg was a very popular town for the Euro's....i remember before i moved here inside NHL guys told me that the Euro's liked Winnipeg as a place to play.....i know it would have the same challenge for the north american's that many of the other smaller (less sexy markets) have but for some reason that crowd really connected to the Peg....we do have a very ethnically diverse city and i think their were enclaves that made the boys feel at home

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ya, Ukrainian/Euro influences all over the place. Very very friendly people, you can always get a great deal on a car in Steinbach, best looking Chicks per capita in Canada next to Quebec City & Montreal. Those things are important when your like 25 with a few million in the bank, 10-15 more on the way. :nod:

King of Arcadia

Feb 11, 2010
Given the recent revelation that Glendale may be dealing with other groups interested in purchasing the Coyotes, what does everyone think the odds are that TN will have something major to announce December 31?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Given the recent revelation that Glendale may be dealing with other groups interested in purchasing the Coyotes, what does everyone think the odds are that TN will have something major to announce December 31?

It'd be more entertaining to see a hungover Mark Chipman slur his way through a press conference on January 1 :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad