Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
Dont get too excited yet.

Anything can happen, as we saw the JR deal get pushed back.

24 hours from now, things could look great for Phoenix.

Absolutely...anything can happen...but lets be serious here, its not very likely. Ive personally been at 90% since march that this team will land in Peg city, but since Friday Im closer to 99%. Only my opinion which means a lot only to me!:)

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Absolutely...anything can happen...but lets be serious here, its not very likely. Ive personally been at 90% since march that this team will land in Peg city, but since Friday Im closer to 99%. Only my opinion which means a lot only to me!:)

lol completely understandable, and im not harking on that at all cause I too would love to a see a team make its way to Winnipeg (it will be huge, huge, huge news in the city)

but to have 99% hopes up, only to have them dashed down @ the last moment is something you really dont need to put yourself through

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
lol completely understandable, and im not harking on that at all cause I too would love to a see a team make its way to Winnipeg (it will be huge, huge, huge news in the city)

but to have 99% hopes up, only to have them dashed down @ the last moment is something you really dont need to put yourself through

Ill be just fine...if we dont get the Yotes this year, it wont be long before winnipeg lands a team. Either way...I get to be a Jets fan again! I havent talked about the Jets this much since 96'. That in itself makes me happy! Tuesday will be interesting none the less. I shall be glued to the city council meeting, as I have been to the past 2.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ill be just fine...if we dont get the Yotes this year, it wont be long before winnipeg lands a team. Either way...I get to be a Jets fan again! I havent talked about the Jets this much since 96'. That in itself makes me happy! Tuesday will be interesting none the less. I shall be glued to the city council meeting, as I have been to the past 2.

Will they be streaming the city council meeting online? What time is the meeting on Tuesday?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Probably in the evening. Im sure someone will post a link on either this board, or more likely, the Phoenix thread. Keep your eyes peeled for that if you want to watch it.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
All this talk about MTS being too small. Do the math 3 thousand more seats. So what are they missing the top 10 rows, which would sell for $15 a seat. So 45 thousand a game times 41 games. They wouls be missing out on 1.8 million a year. Not enough to pay for 1 half decent 2nd line player. Big deal!

$15 for cheap seats?

Doubt you can buy cheap seats for that anywhere in Canada. This isn't 1996 anymore.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
$15 for cheap seats?

Doubt you can buy cheap seats for that anywhere in Canada. This isn't 1996 anymore.

There we go setting higher standards for Canadian teams..again. On average the NHL as a whole sells them at 15, some troubled teams sell them at 9. such as Detroit to name 1.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
fair enough, but that would be because of your point that those seats in the back don't really matter, not because Detroit is a "troubled" team.

Far from it.

Although I do agree with you that 15000 seats are fine for Winnipeg, and the tix would be at typical Cdn prices.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is that how you think ticket pricing works? With a smaller arena, you cna charge more for the worst seats in the house?

I don't think that is how it works, speaking for myself.

quote from Mark Chipman of TNSE in a article by Tim Campbell (one of the only good sport reporters for the Winnipeg Free Press IMHO):

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/SCORING-WITH-THE-NHL--90484644.html

Myths unravelled -- "Start adding the seats." Not happening. "We might even lose a few for camera positions," True North chair*man Mark Chipman said. "Adding seats can't be done. It's not physically possible. We can't take the roof off. Any building improvements will not include the addition of any seats. The NHL likes the building. In discussions we've had with the league in the past few years, size has never been a concern. We have always thought the building is the right size for the market.

"Our ability to add a couple thousand seats would produce revenue that would not be material, given the ticket prices, and moreover, it would make it more difficult to sell commit*ted season-ticket revenue that will ultimately determine the success of any team."

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
quote from Mark Chipman of TNSE in a article by Tim Campbell (one of the only good sport reporters for the Winnipeg Free Press IMHO):

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/SCORING-WITH-THE-NHL--90484644.html

Myths unravelled -- "Start adding the seats." Not happening. "We might even lose a few for camera positions," True North chair*man Mark Chipman said. "Adding seats can't be done. It's not physically possible. We can't take the roof off. Any building improvements will not include the addition of any seats. The NHL likes the building. In discussions we've had with the league in the past few years, size has never been a concern. We have always thought the building is the right size for the market.

"Our ability to add a couple thousand seats would produce revenue that would not be material, given the ticket prices, and moreover, it would make it more difficult to sell commit*ted season-ticket revenue that will ultimately determine the success of any team."

Seems GSC2K is squarely pitted against Mark Chipman on the issue of how ticket pricing works.

Mod: deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
There we go setting higher standards for Canadian teams..again. On average the NHL as a whole sells them at 15, some troubled teams sell them at 9. such as Detroit to name 1.

Calgary's "cheap seats" -- which are in a separate section above the 2nd bowl -- went for around $40 this year.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

where do you get these numbers from?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

You sure about that? Phoenix sells its top four rows of nosebleeds in the opponents two-attack zone for $15 ($9 if you buy the entire season). Never heard anyone here claim Phoenix ticket prices are remotely close to the NHL average.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
If the team is located in Canada...wouldn't it make sense to compare ticket prices to other teams located in Canada? That isn't holding anything to a higher standard...it's comparing something to a similar.

If you were opening up a store in Winnipeg would you set your prices based on what a similar store in Idaho charges? ...or a similar store in Saskatchewan?

These pesky things called taxes and currency exchange play a bit of a part in pricing. If you slap a team anywhere in Canada with Florida Panthers prices....you won't be in business long.

Oh...and those $9 seats in Detroit...are only on select nights. Gordie Howe nights I think they call them (hence the $9 figure). If you go to see the Capitals on a Saturday night in Detroit...you won't be getting any $9 ticket.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ice-edge-feels-winnipegs-pain-93258189.html

Vote of confidence in Winnipeg

Jones told the Winnipeg Free Press on Sunday that Ice Edge realizes the group could be standing in the way of the NHL's return to Winnipeg, and regrets that his firm looks like the bad guy to Manitobans.
"For me and my partners, you have to understand we would love to see more NHL franchises in Canada and that includes Winnipeg," said Jones, listed as chief operating officer of Ice Edge and a native of Bassano, Alta. "It's ironic that we're perceived as an impediment to more NHL teams in Canada because we believe that would be best for the league. We're mostly small-town Canada guys and we don't like the characterization that we're in the way at all.
"We think Winnipeg is a viable market, with a new building that some might think is a little small, but with excellent ownership in place. We'd be behind having a team in Winnipeg. With the salary cap and the strength of the Canadian dollar, Winnipeg is a very viable market."
He also added that the group's acquisition of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise is far from a done deal.
Jones rated Ice Edge's chance of closing the deal at 50-50.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
LOL
what is he supposed to say?
Yes we can and are going to raise the roof?

With all the nonsense about "they can raise the roof", "they will raise the roof", "it was built with future expansion in mind", "there are support pillars", and whatnot, it's nice to hear from the horses mouth that it was all crap. Hell, even if it was true, I'd've been happy that they myths were confirmed :nod:

Fugu

Well they did have to sell tickets at 9 bucks

fair enough, but that would be because of your point that those seats in the back don't really matter, not because Detroit is a "troubled" team.

Far from it.

Although I do agree with you that 15000 seats are fine for Winnipeg, and the tix would be at typical Cdn prices.

The economic woes of Michigan are well-documented, but this does require a bit of clarification. Wings have a limit on how many of those $9 seats they sell, and it's mainly to students. (<200 are available and you have to drive to The Joe to buy them there.)

That said, they haven't raised ticket prices in several years, but they do have one of the best cable deals in the NHL ($30 MM/yr from FSN-D); and TV ratings in- and outside their viewing area are still among the highest in the NHL. The team isn't troubled as much as the region is in trouble.

As you were........ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad