Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The threads you're calling part 2 & 3 deal with [mainly] the alleged back up plan if the Coyotes fail to stay in Phoenix. Prior to that, we had names like Atlanta and an expansion team as the focus, with nothing publicly stated by any involved party.

"Alleged back up plan"? Perhaps, but it has now been reported by several different media sources that two NHL schedules have been written up for next season: one with Glendale pencilled in and one with Winnipeg pencilled in.

As for Atlanta and the Thashers, I believe that has been the plan all along due to the fact that the Thrashers are not tied to the arena lease and that the ownership group there may want to move them. However, that may not happen until next season.

And still there are other options.

GHOST

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for posting those videos. Hadn't seen that before. It was great. Had a chuckle in the 3rd video when the Pens owner, trying to be very sincere and caring about how Canadians feel about "their game," saying how, there are pockets in the USA where people feel hockey is "their game" as well. He likened it to how baseball, an American sport, is now in Canada. He then went on to say "basketball, is now in Canada." Umm...basketball was invented by a Canadian LOL.

First ever NBA game was played at Maple Leaf Gardens as well:nod:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mod note: if you want to talk/argue/dispute about the intricacies of the MOUs and leases from IEH and Reinsdorf, head over to the Phoenix thread. This thread is for discussion of the Winnipeg efforts/milestones in acquiring a team.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for posting those videos. Hadn't seen that before. It was great. Had a chuckle in the 3rd video when the Pens owner, trying to be very sincere and caring about how Canadians feel about "their game," saying how, there are pockets in the USA where people feel hockey is "their game" as well. He likened it to how baseball, an American sport, is now in Canada. He then went on to say "basketball, is now in Canada." Umm...basketball was invented by a Canadian LOL.

Well, I think that kind of gets overstated. Yes, he was a Canadain (I'm ignoring the fact that Canadian nationality didn't exist until 10 years after Naismith died, he likely considered himself British like the majority of first generation Canadians in that era... but that would just be pedantic of me), but he invented the game while in the US and would eventually become a naturalized US citizen. In fact, he spent most of his life in the US and served in the US Army during World War 1.

The Canadian Heritage Moment, like most in the series, sacrifices accuracy for the point of promoting patriotism. It's not as egregious as the one where the Montreal Royals fans all cheer and respect Jackie Robinson (he received daily threats, though not as many as he would later receive in the majors).

Anyway, I'm not a fan of claiming sports as belonging to a particular country. Especially not on the basis of it's inventors nationality. Try telling a West Indies cricket fan how the sport really belongs to England... it won't end well.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
"Alleged back up plan"? Perhaps, but it has now been reported by several different media sources that two NHL schedules have been written up for next season: one with Glendale pencilled in and one with Winnipeg pencilled in.

As for Atlanta and the Thashers, I believe that has been the plan all along due to the fact that the Thrashers are not tied to the arena lease and that the ownership group there may want to move them. However, that may not happen until next season.

And still there are other options.

GHOST

And on Hotstove tonight LeBrun reported his sources tell him WPG is not the only option if the Coyotes relocate. While WPG is the front-runner, QC and KC are options as well.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
And on Hotstove tonight LeBrun reported his sources tell him WPG is not the only option if the Coyotes relocate. While WPG is the front-runner, QC and KC are options as well.

If you think so RR. I've known about the composition of the Winnipeg group for some time. It involves some very wealthy people. Southern Ontario (TO) and QC will be next. KC I doubt.

Believe what you want. :)

GHOST

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008

That's an interesting thing for him to say, especially with reports that the NHL has already "drawn up" a potential schedule for the team to play in Winnipeg at the MTSC.

I think it's far to late too start exploring the relocation options. I'm sure the NHL has one in mind (most likely Winnipeg), but it remains to be seen if the team even relocates.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
If you think so RR. I've known about the composition of the Winnipeg group for some time. It involves some very wealthy people. Southern Ontario (TO) and QC will be next. KC I doubt.

Believe what you want. :)

GHOST

Simply passing on what LeBrun said, Ghost. Nothing more. Am I incorrect in what he reported?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
That's an interesting thing for him to say, especially with reports that the NHL has already "drawn up" a potential schedule for the team to play in Winnipeg at the MTSC.

I think it's far to late too start exploring the relocation options. I'm sure the NHL has one in mind (most likely Winnipeg), but it remains to be seen if the team even relocates.

I would agree. I'd also agree with you and LeBrun that Winnipeg is the front-runner. Again, as a Coyotes fan and STH I hope the team doesn't move. But if it must WPG has always been my 1st choice. I appreciate you not slamming fans like me who remain hopeful our team stays. I wish others respected us and understood the hurt we'll endure is equivalent to what Jets fans experienced years ago.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Simply passing on what LeBrun said, Ghost. Nothing more. Am I incorrect in what he reported?

No, not really. LeBrun was pretty positive and focussed on Winnipeg and given the ownership group that make sense, no? He did mention some alteratives, yes, but that wasn't the main point imho. :)

GHOST

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
No, not really. LeBrun was pretty positive and focussed on Winnipeg and given the ownership group that make sense, no? He did mention some alteratives, yes, but that wasn't the main point imho. :)

GHOST

Wasn't addressing your opinion, Ghost, but what LeBrun said. There's a difference. ;)

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Is Quebec's arena going to be ready in time for the start of next season?

No doubt Winnipeg, KC, Quebec, and Hamilton are all on the NHL's "radar."

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I wouldn't mind the Jets going back to Winnipeg, but don't get your hopes up of Selanne retiring as a Jet first. He will play one more season with the Ducks and then retire here. After that, you guys can put his name up in the rafters.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
For QC or LV to be considered relocation options, they (at the very least) need a firm commitment to build a new arena, including all planning and funding in place. This would have to happen in a very short period of time if the relocation is for next season, then they would play in temporary arenas (Le Colisee in QC, in Vegas ...???). And the NHL has gone on record stating Copps is unsuitable (perhaps just so they can have a non-Maple Leaf excuse to delay a Hamilton team indefinitely).

The only realistic options for next season are Winnipeg and KC. KC has a great new arena, but so far they don't have a confirmed ownership group, as far as we know.

Winnipeg is the front runner because:

- Ready-to-go arena, despite it's small seating capacity
- Mark Chipman, an owner with a proven track record of success in running a pro hockey team, backed by some very deep pockets.
- Very positive PR. The NHL's image has been taking a hit in Canada for close to two decades. This would be the biggest positive PR move they could ever make.

I wouldn't mind the Jets going back to Winnipeg, but don't get your hopes up of Selanne retiring as a Jet first. He will play one more season with the Ducks and then retire here. After that, you guys can put his name up in the rafters.

Would certainly be a dream though, seeing Selanne skate as a Jet again. As far as retiring his number... I don't know. He played 4 seasons as a Jet, one was a lockout-shortened season, one was a season he was injured for a good part of, and one was half a season with WPG before he got traded. The only full 84 game season he played was his rookie year. That said, Teemu is still one of the most beloved sports personalities in Winnipeg history. He is a great guy, always classy and friendly, and is a future Hall member. I wouldn't object if they retired his number 13... or is it number 8? ;)

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
All this talk about MTS being too small. Do the math 3 thousand more seats. So what are they missing the top 10 rows, which would sell for $15 a seat. So 45 thousand a game times 41 games. They wouls be missing out on 1.8 million a year. Not enough to pay for 1 half decent 2nd line player. Big deal!

GSC2k2*

All this talk about MTS being too small. Do the math 3 thousand more seats. So what are they missing the top 10 rows, which would sell for $15 a seat. So 45 thousand a game times 41 games. They wouls be missing out on 1.8 million a year. Not enough to pay for 1 half decent 2nd line player. Big deal!
Is that how you think ticket pricing works? With a smaller arena, you cna charge more for the worst seats in the house?

I don't think that is how it works, speaking for myself.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Is that how you think ticket pricing works? With a smaller arena, you cna charge more for the worst seats in the house?

I don't think that is how it works, speaking for myself.

why would it not work that way?...there is no pre-requisite on how many cheap seats you have to have....300 level seats sell for a general price in the NHL..if you dont have a 300 level, you lose that revenue...you dont have to tranfer 200 level seats into 300 level pricing.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Is Quebec's arena going to be ready in time for the start of next season?

quebec is 5 years away from having an arena....at best...they dont even have financing yet...all they have are glossy pictures of the most expensive arena to ever be built in canada.

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor

He was simply stating his own opinion, just as we all are. It means nothing. Speaking of opinions, heres mine....If anyone truly believes this team will be anywhere but Winnipeg next season is out to lunch! (like I have been saying for months). I dont understand why its so difficult for people to comprehend. Its also the right thing to do. I will personally be at every single Jets home game for the remainder of my life...not to mention every game that the Jets will play in Minnesota! This is going to be the greatest thing that has ever happend to the city of Winnipeg, and province of Manitoba...and we do DESERVE it, and will cherish this franchise through thick and thin! Go Jets Go! Now get on with it so I can get my season tix, and order my 2010-2011 Winnipeg Jets Shane Doan jersey!:handclap:

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
He was simply stating his own opinion, just as we all are. It means nothing. Speaking of opinions, heres mine....If anyone truly believes this team will be anywhere but Winnipeg next season is out to lunch! (like I have been saying for months). I dont understand why its so difficult for people to comprehend. Its also the right thing to do. I will personally be at every single Jets home game for the remainder of my life...not to mention every game that the Jets will play in Minnesota! This is going to be the greatest thing that has ever happend to the city of Winnipeg, and province of Manitoba...and we do DESERVE it, and will cherish this franchise through thick and thin! Go Jets Go! Now get on with it so I can get my season tix, and order my 2010-2011 Winnipeg Jets Shane Doan jersey!:handclap:
At least you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad