Prospect Info: Part 2: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft [recalled on 2/19]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I don't think he would join the flyers after his shl season this year it would burn a year on his elc... he could join the phantoms as he did last year on an ato contract for the end of the regular season and playoffs ..he had 7 points (2goals 5 assts) in the 8 phantoms games he played last year...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would be worth burning a year IMO if he was going straight in our top 9 for a playoff run.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There will be no playoff run if we still have AMac, ?Manning, etc... On our defense.

Plus, not having Provy, Konecny and Oskar up for contract the same year would be nice. Push it off a year.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I have no doubt he is nhl ready and could be a great addition to the flyers he was ready last year and was dominant on the phantoms team...but I can't remember anyone that has jumped right onto the flyers roster at the end of any jr. Or any other season in many years...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We made the playoffs with them in the top 6 last season.

If Brynas got bounced in the quarter finals like Vaxjo did last year, he could be available for all of April.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_SHL_season#Quarter-finals

Yes....made the playoffs. Lost 1st round. Again, no playoff RUN with all those guys in the lineup.

Having Lindblom on a ELC in 3 years when we ARE more likely a contender, is more important than adding him to this years playoffs when we are not.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If I was a betting man I would imagine this happens:

March: Named Guldhjälmen winner as league MVP. ;)

April: Brynäs get knocked out in the semi's around ~10th-15th of April... by Skellefteå or Växjö.

Lindblom comes over for the start of the AHL play-offs, ~20th of April, helps the Phantoms win the Calder Cup! :nod:

Though I would love to see him win the Le Mat Trophy for Brynäs, get the Stefan Liv Memorial Trophy in doing so...

then come over to the AHL for the Division Finals in early May and get the Calder Cup while adding the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy to his cabinet! :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Though it would not surprise me if he simply played season out with Brynäs... took a couple of weeks off, then went to the World Championships with Sweden.

He likely makes the team, and the tournament starts on May the 5th, the 'long list' of players for the tournament has to be in by the ~21st of April... which will be right in the middle of the SHL finals.

And the EHT Czech game will be the 27th-30th of April... so even if Brynäs don't make the final he would not have to wait around too long to link up with National team.

Sweden also play vs Hungary (4th April) 2x vs Austria (5-6th of April) 2x vs Latvia (~12-16th of April) and 2x vs Belarus (~19-23rd of April) before the EHT and WC.

So if Brynäs were out after the quarters (which will finish around ~March 25th-28th) it could make some sense for him to just link up with Sweden then.

Though I do think if Brynäs go out early he will just come to North America instead of playing in 2nd rate internationals... the later they do the more chance he hangs around for WC.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So between AHL playoffs and WC, which would he choose?

I have no clue.

I think if Brynäs are out early (like before Semi's) he comes to the AHL most likely. As he would just be playing vs 2nd rate teams in meaningless international for a month before the real games kick off.

But if Brynäs went to the semi's or finals... it would make some sense to just join straight up with Sweden and to go to France and Germany (and Czech Republic if out in Semis). It will be a higher level than the AHL and his first chance to play for Sweden in big games.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So between AHL playoffs and WC, which would he choose?

Nobody likes when you speak in generalities about a nationality, but Swedes by and large are very, very nationalistic - you could say that about every country in some ways, but I know this is true of Swedes generally. I would be surprised if he wasn't really very tempted to play for the nation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes....made the playoffs. Lost 1st round. Again, no playoff RUN with all those guys in the lineup.

The decision would be by management made before the playoffs started. You can't guarantee what happens prior to the playoff games being played. We had a decent chance against the Caps until Couturier got hurt in the very 1st game, and then Mason blew up in games 2 and 3.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think they'd bring him over for the playoffs, barring some serious injuries, because it's not easy to "plug and play" in Hakstols' system. I think they'd prefer he play in the AHL or the WC, then bring him into camp this fall and let him play with the team for a month.

However, I expect he starts next season in Philadelphia, after playing at this level in the SHL, there's not much to be gained in the AHL. He already has a NA style of play, so acclimation won't be much of an issue.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think they'd bring him over for the playoffs, barring some serious injuries, because it's not easy to "plug and play" in Hakstols' system. I think they'd prefer he play in the AHL or the WC, then bring him into camp this fall and let him play with the team for a month.

However, I expect he starts next season in Philadelphia, after playing at this level in the SHL, there's not much to be gained in the AHL. He already has a NA style of play, so acclimation won't be much of an issue.

You keep saying this with nothing to back it up.

It's just an excuse you conjured out of thin air to defend his use of Vandevelde and benching of Lyubimov... but you repeating it over and over doesn't make it true.

Where was Konecny's long learning period where he was benched to learn the system? Provorov? Weise?

Lyubimov didn't sit to "learn the system".
Vandevelde isn't playing because he "knows the system".
None of the roster decisions have been because of the system, he just likes certain players for no reason.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's just an excuse you conjured out of thin air to defend his use of Vandevelde and benching of Lyubimov... but you repeating it over and over doesn't make it true.

Where was Konecny's long learning period where he was benched to learn the system? Provorov? Weise?

None of the roster decisions have been because of the system, he just likes certain players for no reason.

Pretty much. Well to him he has a reason, he's just wrong.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If anything will be an adjustment, it's the smaller ice, but he looked great on it with the Phantoms a year ago.

Konecny went straight into Hakstol's top 6 and he's a year younger, four inches shorter, and 20 pounds lighter.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That's an intelligent response?
The coach is insane?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If anything will be an adjustment, it's the smaller ice, but he looked great on it with the Phantoms a year ago.

Konecny went straight into Hakstol's top 6 and he's a year younger, four inches shorter, and 20 pounds lighter.

Konecny is both a top talent and has been sheltered his rookie season, held out of certain situations and his minutes somewhat limited.
Luby has been gradually worked into the lineup in a 4th line checking role.
Leier has also seen limited minutes and is playing only due to injury.

The only player who just "stepped in" and was given a full role was Provorov, and he's an uber talent.

I doubt Hakstol would be comfortable playing Lindblom more than a few minutes a game, and that would be a waste of a year of his ELC.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Idk. I think Hakstol saw Leier lifting weights in the gym and figured he was ready to play with Giroux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce