GDT: Part 2 - Bruins @ Senators - 20 minutes to Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolider

Aug 3, 2005
Ottawa
I told you guys to chill out in the early going! **** happens but this team finds a way to get it done!

2 pts out with a game in hand AND the tie-breaker versus the Bruins. Keep it up boys!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We have a +17 goal differential. Usually teams with +15 or more are locks for playoffs

Goal differential is such a weird thing to bring up

Montreal was negative for a while early on because they got blown out in a few loses and people kept saying "they are so bad, look at their goal differential"

+/- is generally regarded a poor stat in isolation to judge a player, I'm pretty sure the same is true of +/- at the team level

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
I keep hearing Boston has the tiebreaker over us. Can anyone explain why this is the case? We virtually have the same record, same amount of regulation wins, and the season series was 2-2. What am I missing?

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa

Montreal was negative for a while early on because they got blown out in a few loses and people kept saying "they are so bad, look at their goal differential"

+/- is generally regarded a poor stat in isolation to judge a player, I'm pretty sure the same is true of +/- at the team level

whereas the sens haven't been blown out. It's been close all year, +/- tells that story

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site

Except it isn't. Statistically, you may get a few outliers here and there, but the correlation between goal differential and playoffs is pretty strong.

BigBush*

not really actually. Lot of coaches look at the season as a whole and really stress the importance of having a big goal differential.

Babcock and Sutter have talked a lot about it

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
That was something. I am confident in our F group for next season. Little tweak on D and we can do some real damage.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I keep hearing Boston has the tiebreaker over us. Can anyone explain why this is the case? We virtually have the same record, same amount of regulation wins, and the season series was 2-2. What am I missing?

Regulation + OT wins (ROW in the standings) is the tiebreaker. We are 3 behind Boston.

However we have the tiebreaker-tiebreaker against Boston, and they can not take it away.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
GD is a good predictor of results over a long term, but we're talking about just 12 games left, so anything can happen.

also why at this time of the year http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Ottawa2.html (sportsclubstats 50/50 model) is a better indicator of real playoff chances, not the GD model.

Good to see you around these boards bud. I see you on the main boards usually but it's always a pleasure to see you around these parts.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Actually, over a season its one of the best indicators of team success. Which makes sense as its a team stats based on team outcomes where plus minus is a player stat based on multiple player outcomes.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I really love our bottom 2 lines. Pageau, Chiasson, Condra and Lazar have been playing so big.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.

More of our wins are probably shootout wins, ROW is regulation and overtime wins. We have 30 and they have 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad