GDT: Part 2: ADSF Game 2: McCartney Edition: Boston Bruins vs. Detroit Red Wings, 20 April

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Curious what they do with Florek if Kelly comes back and Florek is playing well. The kid had 3 shots yesterday, and there's no way I'm taking out someone getting rubber to the net.

Florek and Caron have both played impressively. Bruins can afford to make sure Paille and Kelly are fully recovered. No need to rush. When they are ready though, it will take a lot more to unseed either of them in my opinion.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
This game was one of those exceptionally rare games we don`t see often where Detroit is lured into the game that their opponent wants to play and I doubt we`ll see it again.

The Wings played a very good 2nd period, were the better team in that period, and I expect things to be this way throughout the series, they aren`t a team who will let an opponent own them for a full 60.

The biggest concern is being on the PK so often, and it isn`t because I have concerns about the B`s PK, it`s the fact it completely takes any of the fluidity that I find our troops play best under, when all 4 lines are getting opportunities to stay in the game.

Just as I didn`t get too hysterical and in full blown panic mode after a game 1 loss, nor will I make any exclamations of this one being over after game 2, it`s going to be what most of us thought it would be, a 6, maybe 7 gamer

Spot on.
I'm not too worried about their PP. Obviously we won't kill all of their PP's but I doubt we will melt down like in that one game against NJ:
(I'm kinda surprised they don't try to use Alfie's one-timer ...)

As to rolling 4 lines. The Wings distributed their ice-time more equally over their 4 lines than the Bruins did, showing Babcock is not afraid of putting his 4th line out there on the road.
I wonder what match-ups he choses.

I'm still quite pessimistic about the whole series itself.
We threw the Wings off their game once and were able to beat them.
If they play their game, they are better than us (in that specific match-up). They second period clearly showed that and we got lucky they didn't tie the game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Florek and Caron have both played impressively. Bruins can afford to make sure Paille and Kelly are fully recovered. No need to rush. When they are ready though, it will take a lot more to unseed either of them in my opinion.

Really?

You don't think that when/if Paille and Kelly return they won't immediately be inserted back in the lineup?

I disagree completely.

Julien is a total "you don't lose your job to injury" guy, not to mention, the only time I think that Caron has looked "impressive" is in games when the rest of the team has not showed up (like in Game 1). In addition, there is no doubt in my mind that when healthy, Kelly and Paille are simply better than Caron and Florek (Thornton is another discussion).

I like Florek and think he has had the tougher job (than Caron) keeping up with the 3rd liners. If one of Kelly or Paille comes back, I would prefer that they play with the 3rd line and Florek plays on the 4th. I doubt that Clode jumps Caron for Florek (see above loyalty note).

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Really?

You don't think that when/if Paille and Kelly return they won't immediately be inserted back in the lineup?

I disagree completely.

Julien is a total "you don't lose your job to injury" guy, not to mention, the only time I think that Caron has looked "impressive" is in games when the rest of the team has not showed up (like in Game 1). In addition, there is no doubt in my mind that when healthy, Kelly and Paille are simply better than Caron and Florek (Thornton is another discussion).

I like Florek and think he has had the tougher job (than Caron) keeping up with the 3rd liners. If one of Kelly or Paille comes back, I would prefer that they play with the 3rd line and Florek plays on the 4th. I doubt that Clode jumps Caron for Florek (see above loyalty note).

You misunderstood and I wrote confusingly. I meant that it would be difficult and take a lot more to unseed Kelly and Paille from their rightful positions. I'm thinking Tyler Seguin game 2 vs. Tampa is what they would need.

I do like what they have done tho. And I think that gives the Bruins time to make sure both are fully healed.

Florek has also been good killing penalties too. To me, he's been a perfect Kelly replacement.

I agree with exactly what you said. And I do hope that Florek has moved ahead of Caron.

Last edited:

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Can't say it enough, Kevan Miller is a rock back there. Rarely see him make a bad play.

You can watch him an entire game and usually count on less than two fingers the mistakes he makes. On top of that, when he does make a rare mistake, he generally makes up for it with an excellent recovery play.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Spot on.
I'm not too worried about their PP. Obviously we won't kill all of their PP's but I doubt we will melt down like in that one game against NJ:

As to rolling 4 lines. The Wings distributed their ice-time more equally over their 4 lines than the Bruins did, showing Babcock is not afraid of putting his 4th line out there on the road.

If they play their game, they are better than us (in that specific match-up). They second period clearly showed that and we got lucky they didn't tie the game.

I'm quite optimistic. Bs exposed Howard and any confidence he had after the shutout is gonne. Bs did what they wanted and forced thewings to play their style. The Bs will do it again and again. Wings can't do anything about it. 2nd period was just result of Bs protecting the lead. Having Miller back restored order on the back end. The Bs know now who to target and how to get the wings off their game.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
i1yH8rhzDFiW4.gif

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Really?

I disagree completely.

I agree.

Kelly and Paille will step right in if and when ready and that will be a good thing for the Bruins.
Thornton is the one who could sit for Florek, IMO. Caron has been very good compared to the usual Caron but that's still well below Paille and Kelly and slightly below Florek.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Spot on.

Playoff series are usually won by the team that dictates the style of play. Sometimes it is a goalie who wins a series but rarely. The Bruins will wear out Detroit with their physical style in my view. Once it has been established that they will be hit when they touch the puck it will lead to more opportunities and it also takes away from their energy. I liken it to a boxing match where you pound your opponent with body shots so they have nothing left in the later rounds... Boston is better in every area except speed and that can been neutralized with defensive schemes. Since CJ is a master of that I am sticking with my 6 game prediction of a Bruins win.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You misunderstood and I wrote confusingly. I meant that it would be difficult and take a lot more to unseed Kelly and Paille from their rightful positions. I'm thinking Tyler Seguin game 2 vs. Tampa is what they would need.

I do like what they have done tho. And I think that gives the Bruins time to make sure both are fully healed.

Florek has also been good killing penalties too. To me, he's been a perfect Kelly replacement.

I agree with exactly what you said. And I do hope that Florek has moved ahead of Caron.

My bad, totally misunderstood what you meant.

Agree on Miller, the kid is just so solid. Nothing spectacular, but very consistent and everything is just business as usual with him regardless of the situation it seems.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
If Kelly and Paille are ready to go, I'd sit Thornton and Caron. Florek over Thornton gives me a little more comfort on the 4th line when it comes to potential matchups Babcock might try to exploit. He's better with the puck on his stick defensively and also has the size + mobility advantage.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bolts fan coming in peace.

I did not like you guys, at all. My hatred of the Bruins is nothing compared to the inner rage I have against MTL now.

I hope you guys grind them to ****ing dust.

That is all.

Enemy of my enemy is my friend.

and I love Tampa and hope you pull off a come back !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad