Tennis: [Part 2] 2019 U.S. Open

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Best performance from the next generation in a major. Medvedev probably doesn't feel it, but he should bs proud.

Rafa now has a lot in his favour for quest for most majors.

Remember when we were saying that this match may be anticlimactic after yesterday?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I vastly underrated Medvedev. I didn't think he had a shot in hell at pushing Nadal this hard playing the grinding style that he plays but he stood toe to toe with him for 5 hours. Mad respect to that guy.
I only saw the 5th set and bits and pieces of the 4th set after watching my Detroit Lions be.... the Detroit Lions but that was some impressive stuff by Medvedev to keep fighting and Nadal, well he's the champion he is for a reason.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Even if he didn't win tonight, this has to be a breakthrough performance for Medvedev. I think at this point he can beat anyone.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I vastly underrated Medvedev. I didn't think he had a shot in hell at pushing Nadal this hard playing the grinding style that he plays but he stood toe to toe with him for 5 hours. Mad respect to that guy.
I only saw the 5th set and bits and pieces of the 4th set after watching my Detroit Lions be.... the Detroit Lions but that was some impressive stuff by Medvedev to keep fighting and Nadal, well he's the champion he is for a reason.

You...have some odd choices for favourite sports teams lol. A NY guy that cheers for the Lions and Oilers.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
19 for Rafa , the GOAT race continues.

But 2020 seems like it could finally be the year where the next gen start to turn the tide.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I didn't see much but caught parts of the 5th and the end. What a match. They're both going to need IV after this one!

So what is the rule with time violations? I know he had 2 while I was watching and it was like a fault. Does it just keep going that way or do they lose a point sometime?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You...have some odd choices for favourite sports teams lol. A NY guy that cheers for the Lions and Oilers.

Yeah, why I chose the two most pathetic franchises in sports is beyond me. Blame Barry Sanders for making me a Lions fan and the Marchant goal in Game 7 for making me an Oilers fan. Thanks Barry and Todd.
I am a Yankees fan so it's not all weird.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
19 for Rafa , the GOAT race continues.

But 2020 seems like it could finally be the year where the next gen start to turn the tide.

Probably 2021. Novak and Rafa have enough in the tank to probably sweep the majors next year. Fed still presents a tough out even at his age.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Great match, especially the last 3 sets where Medvedev really showed some nice resolve and that he can hang with one of the best in a long grueling match.

Happy to see Nadal get another GS. Hopefully by the end of the next French he's at 20 with Fed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, why I chose the two most pathetic franchises in sports is beyond me. Blame Barry Sanders for making me a Lions fan and the Marchant goal in Game 7 for making me an Oilers fan. Thanks Barry and Todd.
I am a Yankees fan so it's not all weird.

You should cheer for the Padres to complete the trifecta. ;)

TomP24684

Je m’appelle Tom
May 18, 2019
Serena has 24 slams, and still a threat for more. Her level of dominance, and longetivity is insane.

There is no "next serena". Bianca has to do bianca, and hopefully wins multiple slams.

Hingis was once the hottest thing in tennis, and she has left her mark on this sport. She had 5 slams in comparison, which would still be an amazing career.

For now, let's just enjoy the ride and see where it goes. Tennis has a way to ground alot of talents very quickly.
She has 23. The 24th is the one giving her a little trouble.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You should cheer for the Padres to complete the trifecta. ;)

Actually, I'm a Pistons fan funny enough and now they're as pathetic as the Lions and Oilers. Thanks Isiah Thomas. At least they won 3 championships in my younger years.

Reactions: Cloned

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
HOLY f*** What a match and what a fight till the very end for both players. I thought Med would get rolled over and it looked that way mid-way through the third but wow his heart was Rafa-esque, and he has nothing to hang his head about.

As for Rafa, I've been a fan of your's for ages now and I think he just took years off my lifespan so thanks for that pal. In all seriousness, I can't believe he pulled this off, it looked at many stages in the fifth that youth would finally prevail but Nadal somehow, at 33, was able to outlast someone 10 years his junior. He's now at 19 and his bid for 20 (and more) is looking better than ever right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Medvedev should be a politician.

Went from public enemy #1 to a fan darling.

Reactions: MsMeow

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Great match, especially the last 3 sets where Medvedev really showed some nice resolve and that he can hang with one of the best in a long grueling match.

Happy to see Nadal get another GS. Hopefully by the end of the next French he's at 20 with Fed.

It was really the best US Open men's Final in a long time. The last few five-setters they had went 6-2 in the fifth, looked like this one was headed there too for a dull finish but Medvedev pulled one more rabbit out of the hat and nearly got it to a tie.

List of US Open men's singles champions - Wikipedia

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad