Proposal: Parayko to the Leafs.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think nobody has a problem with people bringing up trade ideas and posting trades, as that is that point of this part of the site. I think the frustrating part is fans posting the usual "here's my stuff that I no longer care about, because they've outlived their usefulness, but it is a whole bunch of them" for your "impact, solid, proven player".

I know it's every fans' fantasy to turn guys that you would just as soon put on waivers into a solid player. It just gets a little annoying, when they are told no, that they continue on for pages trying to convince everyone (and probably themselves) that the marginal players represent good value for the impact player.
You know its funny i gave leaf fans an example of many smaller pieces not adding up to the 1 big piece and instead of understanding the example. The guy just said but mathews is a franchise player. LOL. I guess he didnt under stand the concept.

The moment Nylander + Liljgren wasnt possible was the moment this possibility died.

Reactions: Snowman

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
to not give up Nylander or Marner, it would cost the Leafs at least Kadri, Brown, Zaitsev, and Liljegren
that's 40-50 goals (Brown scored 20 as a 2nd/3rd line rookie, and would produce if used higher in the lineup), a 2nd pairing RHD and a promising RHD
that is a huge package, but, the only way i can see any chance for not having one of the 2 (Nylander/Marner) not in the deal

Why? What void does Brown or Kadri fill for us? That is essentially what everyone is trying to explain to the few Leafs fans who keep beating random players down our throats for two players we cannot replace instantly or anytime in the near future.

Also as for throwing in 2 forwards and a roster defenseman for one defenseman makes absolutely 0 sense. Look at our roster, where do we fit in extra NHL forwards without shipping out current NHL forwards? Nobody wants to make a trade to pray that they can make another trade for a piece comparable to the piece they originally traded.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Cost for Parayko scares me.
If St.Louis is in rebuild mode, I could see them hanging onto their young players.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Why? What void does Brown or Kadri fill for us? That is essentially what everyone is trying to explain to the few Leafs fans who keep beating random players down our throats for two players we cannot replace instantly or anytime in the near future.

Also as for throwing in 2 forwards and a roster defenseman for one defenseman makes absolutely 0 sense. Look at our roster, where do we fit in extra NHL forwards without shipping out current NHL forwards? Nobody wants to make a trade to pray that they can make another trade for a piece comparable to the piece they originally traded.
I know you and I dont meet eye to eye, But on this subject we do. I agree with you 110%. These offers not only are they smaller peices, but pieces that are not needed. At this point i cant really see much that benifits blues in these offers. Nothing at all.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Cost for Parayko scares me.
If St.Louis is in rebuild mode, I could see them hanging onto their young players.
I dont think we are in rebuild mode yet. I think we are a real coach and a few tweaks away from competing. We can beat one of the best teams one night and lose to a carp team the next. We beat several great teams this year. I really think we are not at blow it up yet. Till that day comes, especially with Petro injured, If we trade parayko it will not be for smaller pieces that do not meet teams needs.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I dont think we are in rebuild mode yet. I think we are a real coach and a few tweaks away from competing. We can beat one of the best teams one night and lose to a carp team the next. We beat several great teams this year. I really think we are not at blow it up yet. Till that day comes, especially with Petro injured, If we trade parayko it will not be for smaller pieces that do not meet teams needs.

What are your teams needs?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Defense, Goaltender
Obviously if Nylander + Liljgren was possible that worked. because we would get a younger player and resign petro. Now that petro is down we cant afford to give up parayko. Also Nylander is not being traded.
Parayko>>nylander>>Kapp

The only trade i can think of that makes sense to the blues in a rebuild would be the following.

Parayko Blais 2nd

Kapp, Liljgren, Sandin

The only issue is that Leafs scoff at the Idea of giving up a top 4 potential and sandin who could or could not be top 4 in the nhl. It all comes down to what helps the blues out and what doesnt. So far Leaf fans only want to get parayko and no pay his value. I think the day that nylander was deemed not to be traded was the day this possibility of getting parayko died.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I will just sit back and let GM’s do their jobs and avoid the ceaseless shin kicking that goes on between fan bases anytime a trade is mentioned.

Parayko is an excellent young defender, and if he is indeed available, 30 GM’s should be calling to ask his price, including Dubas.

Just like no one should be offering crap for a quality player like Parayko, Dubas also understands that he has other options that don’t all include trading any of our Big 4 to get it done.

You don’t get better by getting worse, and moving any of our Big 4 for anyone other than McDavid makes us worse 99 times out of 100.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Goaltending. After that there's a drop-off in terms of importance, and it's not really a consensus on what that 2nd need even is among Blues fans. I'd say top 4 LHD then a bottom 6 physical forward (like Reaves or Brodziak :()

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
There is a really good article on The Athletic today talking about what the Blues should do and where they are going. If you have a subscription, it is worth the read and will help other fans understand what we Blues fans have been saying all along.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Kapanen
Bracco
Liljegren
1st in 19

For

Kostin
Parayko

Thoughts? Constructive criticism....
What I don’t understand is why they’re giving up Kostin and getting a 1st. Wouldn’t those basically just cancel out?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
What I don’t understand is why they’re giving up Kostin and getting a 1st. Wouldn’t those basically just cancel out?
no Kostin is basically developingin the AHL he is like the 3rd youngest player i think. His game is improving and he plays a power forward position. I would rather have him then a 30-31st pick. If kapp at the basis sandin and Liljgren need to come back. Bracco is nothing special

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don't think he could fill the hole that would be left by either Pietrangelo or Parayko. That is the root of the issue. You guys have some nice pieces and future pieces but this isn't exactly a club that is going to undergo an overhaul and not try to compete by next year. I would be willing to imagine that if either are moved it would be Pietrangelo before Parayko just due to a change in culture and it seems highly unlikely that we would move either of them before shipping out a forward first. The thing is Zaitsev would more than likely have to be included in the deal and a pretty damn good futures package attached.
I dont think I could come up with a fair trade offer where Zaitsev is included.
maybe the leafs can pull that off but a solid flow of ELCs going forward is much needed. dont think they have what it would take to pry Parayko, prob better off dealing with a rebuilding team looking to move a UFA for futures.
if they do make a big trade for a dman I hope they do it sooner than later. iv seen so many times a BIG name player joining a team at TDL and they dont get their game together and back on track in time for playoffs. normally its the lower tier moves that help playoff teams the most

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Defense, Goaltender
Obviously if Nylander + Liljgren was possible that worked. because we would get a younger player and resign petro. Now that petro is down we cant afford to give up parayko. Also Nylander is not being traded.
Parayko>>nylander>>Kapp

The only trade i can think of that makes sense to the blues in a rebuild would be the following.

Parayko Blais 2nd

Kapp, Liljgren, Sandin

The only issue is that Leafs scoff at the Idea of giving up a top 4 potential and sandin who could or could not be top 4 in the nhl. It all comes down to what helps the blues out and what doesnt. So far Leaf fans only want to get parayko and no pay his value. I think the day that nylander was deemed not to be traded was the day this possibility of getting parayko died.

Leafs should pass on both as it would gut either current / future.

Gotta find a way to win with what you've got unless a trade favors your team greatly.

Blues should look to teams that are ripe for poaching - Leafs aren't in that position this year and will likely build on what they've got rather than subtract.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Leafs should pass on both as it would gut either current / future.

Gotta find a way to win with what you've got unless a trade favors your team greatly.

Blues should look to teams that are ripe for poaching - Leafs aren't in that position this year and will likely build on what they've got rather than subtract.
Perfectly fine. I def understand where your coming from. I just wish the rest of your fanbase would understand that he nor petro will be traded for beans no matter how it is spun. Also this includes Value pieces that meet the blues needs. Not UFAs, Bad defenseman, AHL underachievers, or other various lower tier players.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Goaltending. After that there's a drop-off in terms of importance, and it's not really a consensus on what that 2nd need even is among Blues fans. I'd say top 4 LHD then a bottom 6 physical forward (like Reaves or Brodziak :()
Not a lot of starting goaltending that I'd consider - Philly, Calgary is in the same position - not a good market to be in.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Defense, Goaltender
Parayko>>nylander>>Kapp

Parayko Blais 2nd

Kapp, Liljgren, Sandin

drop Blais and the pick, drop Sandin, if there's a gap make it with a pick from the Leafs side. The arrival time for Sandin/Liljegren make them more valuable to the Leafs than the picks they were taken with, I don't see that Sandin would be substantially more valuable than the pick he was taken with in general at this point though

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
That’s how trades work in reality. You want quality like Parayko? You have to give up quality to get him.

Thats actually how trade don't work. It is so rare for trades to be actually be 1:1 most of the time it's a lot of quantity going for quality. Outside of Hall:Larsson and Jones:Johansen most aren't done that way, it's only on hfboards where people force that idea.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Thats actually how trade don't work. It is so rare for trades to be actually be 1:1 most of the time it's a lot of quantity going for quality. Outside of Hall:Larsson and Jones:Johansen most aren't done that way, it's only on hfboards where people force that idea.

They work both ways but typically if you're accepting a deal with quantity coming your way it's because the targeted single piece is either not being extended and has limited term left on his deal OR is asking for a trade. Neither of those situations are going on here and I sincerely doubt the Blues are shopping Parayko. So basically it's Leafs fans throwing together a bunch of stuff they can afford to part with for a player nobody in STL is offering...Leafs have 0 leverage here.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
drop Blais and the pick, drop Sandin, if there's a gap make it with a pick from the Leafs side. The arrival time for Sandin/Liljegren make them more valuable to the Leafs than the picks they were taken with, I don't see that Sandin would be substantially more valuable than the pick he was taken with in general at this point though
I understand that but the problem is neither sandin nor Liljgren are shoe ins for being as good as Parayko. Blues need good d prospects and if you are taking parayko, who by the way looked very good against EDM and played 28 mins, Then you need to fill our team needs. Since Nylander is not being offered and a lesser player of Kapp is it then you need to include sandin and Liljgren. I get it it will hurt your team but losing parayko with decimate the blues defense.

In all honesty i am not trying to be un reasonable. The moment that Nylander and Liljgren was off the table was the moment that parayko was as well. Your picks dont help us. 30-31st over all doesnt help. The player picked is a good 2 years away. The question you need to ask your self, Is parayko (top pairing skilled dman, who will become your second best d and has already shown chemistry with Reilly) worth Giving up Sandin, Liljgren and Kapp (since nylander isnt available) if not then no need to make the trade if so then we can work out the add with parayko. The blues are not in rebuild yet and even if they were top pairing RHD dmen do not grow on trees and they are better off keeping them. Also if you want to talk about Marner for Parayko+ we could probably go down that road. I am sure though that will only cause more issues

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I understand that but the problem is neither sandin nor Liljgren are shoe ins for being as good as Parayko. Blues need good d prospects and if you are taking parayko, who by the way looked very good against EDM and played 28 mins, Then you need to fill our team needs. Since Nylander is not being offered and a lesser player of Kapp is it then you need to include sandin and Liljgren. I get it it will hurt your team but losing parayko with decimate the blues defense.

In all honesty i am not trying to be un reasonable. The moment that Nylander and Liljgren was off the table was the moment that parayko was as well. Your picks dont help us. 30-31st over all doesnt help. The player picked is a good 2 years away. The question you need to ask your self, Is parayko (top pairing skilled dman, who will become your second best d and has already shown chemistry with Reilly) worth Giving up Sandin, Liljgren and Kapp (since nylander isnt available) if not then no need to make the trade if so then we can work out the add with parayko. The blues are not in rebuild yet and even if they were top pairing RHD dmen do not grow on trees and they are better off keeping them. Also if you want to talk about Marner for Parayko+ we could probably go down that road. I am sure though that will only cause more issues
do you value Sandin higher than a late 1st rounder at this point though? That's all I'm saying, drop the Blais+2nd, add a 1st from the Leafs side then the Blues still get as good of value (better because you keep Blais+2nd) and the Leafs keep a guy who has a chance to be ready to play on an ELC when they'll need him where I doubt that matters as much to the Blues

Keep in mind that Sandin is a 29th oa pick who's played 13 games since his draft, he's at least 2 years away from contributing. I don't see how any reasonable person values him way higher than the Leafs upcoming 1st round pick which is in a notably deep draft and could end up being considerably better than 30-31st oa, that would be assuming we're going to the cup finals and there's some very good teams in the east

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
do you value Sandin higher than a late 1st rounder at this point though? That's all I'm saying, drop the Blais+2nd, add a 1st from the Leafs side then the Blues still get as good of value (better because you keep Blais+2nd) and the Leafs keep a guy who has a chance to be ready to play on an ELC when they'll need him where I doubt that matters as much to the Blues

Keep in mind that Sandin is a 29th oa pick who's played 13 games since his draft, he's at least 2 years away from contributing. I don't see how any reasonable person values him way higher than the Leafs upcoming 1st round pick which is in a notably deep draft and could end up being considerably better than 30-31st oa, that would be assuming we're going to the cup finals and there's some very good teams in the east

Yes at this point i do Value Sandin and Liljgren higher than a 31st pick do to time frame of dmen prospects being ready. With the addition of parayko you can use your first to get one of the best dmen in this draft and he could be ready in 2 years or so when you need elcs. Blues if giving up parayko would need the dmen to be closer to stepping in then developing a recently drafted one.

like i said blues needs are goalie and defense. Blais and our 2nd or third (which if it was second would be 32-36. which isnt far off from where your picking. I still stand firm the only trades that help blues are as follows. The adds from the blues could change slightly.

Nylander liljgren
for
parayko 2nd

or

Kapp, Liljgren Sandin

Parayko Blais/walman 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad