Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
What are the blues adding?
moth-flame.jpg

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I love trade threads with Flyers fans! :laugh: Seriously, though, as mentioned above we can't trade Parayko with Pietrangelo out. However, if we do okay without him, and as we get closer to the TDL, I could see Pietrangelo being moved before Parayko to avoid a possible Shattenkirk situation.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How about a blockbuster...

TO PHI:
- Tarasenko
- Parayko
- Allen

TO STL:
- Voracek
- Gostisbehere
- Neuvirth

Both teams swap dynamic, offensive forwards. Blues add a top-end, LH offensive D and the Flyers finally get a top-pairing RH D to play with Provorov and take a PP slot. Allen gets a change of scenery.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

TO PHI:
- Tarasenko
- Parayko
- Allen

TO STL:
- Voracek
- Gostisbehere
- Neuvirth

Both teams swap dynamic, offensive forwards. Blues add a top-end, LH offensive D and the Flyers finally get a top-pairing RH D to play with Provorov and take a PP slot. Allen gets a change of scenery.
That's an easy pass from me.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What are the blues adding?
Towel Guy. I could easily be talked into Charles Glenn, too.

TO PHI:
- Tarasenko
- Parayko
- Allen

TO STL:
- Voracek
- Gostisbehere
- Neuvirth
I like the sentiment here, but it doesn't work.

Voracek is basically a playmaker, which we've got a couple of. Even at his best, he's never scored more than 23 goals; Tarasenko has gone 30+ 4 times now, and I don't know who suddenly becomes a 30-goal scorer in his absence.

Allen is enigmatic, but can get hot for 6-8 weeks; he's just then terrible for 6-8 weeks. Neuvirth is struggling to stay healthy. Playing and potentially hot for a bit > not playing, and I'm someone who thinks Allen needs a new home. [Though, the flip side is that it gives us a chance to get Binnington out of the minors and see what he can do.]

Gostisbehere for Parayko is probably the best match - to the point that I think that actually tips toward the Blues more than a little bit.

I could do Gostisbehere and Neuvirth for Parayko and Allen, but I couldn't do Voracek for Tarasenko.

Reactions: PitchNHL

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Towel Guy. I could easily be talked into Charles Glenn, too.

I like the sentiment here, but it doesn't work.

Voracek is basically a playmaker, which we've got a couple of. Even at his best, he's never scored more than 23 goals; Tarasenko has gone 30+ 4 times now, and I don't know who suddenly becomes a 30-goal scorer in his absence.

Allen is enigmatic, but can get hot for 6-8 weeks; he's just then terrible for 6-8 weeks. Neuvirth is struggling to stay healthy. Playing and potentially hot for a bit > not playing, and I'm someone who thinks Allen needs a new home. [Though, the flip side is that it gives us a chance to get Binnington out of the minors and see what he can do.]

Gostisbehere for Parayko is probably the best match - to the point that I think that actually tips toward the Blues more than a little bit.

I could do Gostisbehere and Neuvirth for Parayko and Allen, but I couldn't do Voracek for Tarasenko.

Well, to be fair, you talk about Tarasenko's goals, but his career high in points is 75 and Voracek has broken 80 twice, including an 85 point season. Also, Parayko has never matched Gostisbehere's high in points either. The edge on D clearly goes to the Blues in this trade and the forwards are a wash - granted Tarasenko is the better goal scorer... Voracek is the better overall forward. The chance of Allen being better than Neuvirth is worth the chance here.

Both teams are struggling - the Blues are a mess - and could use a shake-up trade. Just like the Flyers with Voracek in the core - the Blues haven't been able to win anything major with Tarasenko and Parayko as key members. I think both teams could use a rattle to the core.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Both teams are struggling - the Blues are a mess - and could use a shake-up trade. Just like the Flyers with Voracek in the core - the Blues haven't been able to win anything major with Tarasenko and Parayko as key members. I think both teams could use a rattle to the core.

C'mon, you aren't even trying. This is Parayko's 4th year in the league.

The Blues have other needs, some of which are not about winning this season, but what they need most to win now is a coach and health. Shakeups don't make sense until after that.

Reactions: 67Blues

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
C'mon, you aren't even trying. This is Parayko's 4th year in the league.

The Blues have other needs, some of which are not about winning this season, but what they need most to win now is a coach and health. Shakeups don't make sense until after that.

Same with Ghost.

A Johansen for Jones shakeup trade was made early on. Heck, even the Blues did this before when they traded 1st overall pick Erik Johnson early in his career for Shattenkirk and Stewart. Shakeup hockey deals are made when two teams are underachieving and not meeting expectations. Especially when it happens year over year. The Blues were supposed to take the next step multiple times and haven't. The Flyers were supposed to improve as well and have stagnated.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Take out the Toasted Ravioli and we'll give you a quart of Ted Drews along with a Clydesdale ride (bareback). If we need to, we'll sweeten the pot with a slab of Pappy's ribs.

Toasted ravioli is a deal breaker for me. That's like me saying take out Gritty and throw in a donkeys cheese steak, some peanut chews, and water ice. Feel free to swap in a Wawa classic for the donkeys.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Same with Ghost.

A Johansen for Jones shakeup trade was made early on. Heck, even the Blues did this before when they traded 1st overall pick Erik Johnson early in his career for Shattenkirk and Stewart. Shakeup hockey deals are made when two teams are underachieving and not meeting expectations. Especially when it happens year over year. The Blues were supposed to take the next step multiple times and haven't. The Flyers were supposed to improve as well and have stagnated.

I don't understand what Gostisbehere's number of seasons has to do with this conversation, but, whatever, let's move on to the stuff that one can reasonably address: you are describing a lot of wildly different stuff. Johansen for Jones was a needs swap, not a shakeup one. Wennberg and Jenner had big years and they saw a chance to get their franchise defenseman. Nashville saw the chance to deal from a position of immense strength to acquire the center they longed for. Same with EJ. Pietrangelo had emerged as the clear #1, so the Blues were trying to flesh out their other needs, not shake things up.

And no, the Blues were not supposed to take the next step multiple times during the time that Parayko has been with the team. In fact, he's a big reason that they went to the conference finals in his rookie season. They've slid over the last two seasons, but not due to Parayko. Teams don't make shakeup deals with the players who are actually performing. This is some weird fantasy land garbage. When have you seen a team trade its good players so that it magically flips the switch for the underperforming ones? No, for a very long time, teams have almost always traded their good players when they're rebuilding and/or see an opportunity to address a gaping need. Swapping a goal-scorer and a d-man who is good defensively for a playmaker and a d-man who is worse defensively might address needs for another team, but tell me how that is a need for the Blues beyond OMG SHAKEUP.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, to be fair, you talk about Tarasenko's goals, but his career high in points is 75 and Voracek has broken 80 twice, including an 85 point season. Also, Parayko has never matched Gostisbehere's high in points either. The edge on D clearly goes to the Blues in this trade and the forwards are a wash - granted Tarasenko is the better goal scorer... Voracek is the better overall forward. The chance of Allen being better than Neuvirth is worth the chance here.

Not only is Tarasenko the better goal scorer, he's significantly younger and even a bit cheaper as well. Before you say that three years isn't much difference, there should be zero question that pretty much any team would rather have Tarasenko's age 26-30 years at $7.5 million over Voracek's age 29-34 seasons at $8.25 million. The Blues certainly would.

As for the defensemen, there's no doubt that Gostisbehere's career high in points is likely to crush anything Parayko will ever put up. There should also be no doubt that Parayko is the guy that pretty much anyone would rather trust with actually defending. Let's call that one personal preference. Gostisbehere has the better contract, but I still doubt the Blues would trade Parayko for him straight up. They see Parayko as a #1 defenseman, or at least someone close to that. There's little chance they view Gostisbehere the same way, and I can say that with confidence because they clearly preferred Parayko's well-rounded game to Shattenkirk's offensive ability once Parayko fully established himself.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Despite putting up smaller numbers, I would rather have the better defensive player in Parayko than Gostisbehere.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

TO PHI:
- Tarasenko
- Parayko
- Allen

TO STL:
- Voracek
- Gostisbehere
- Neuvirth

I accept.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
Despite putting up smaller numbers, I would rather have the better defensive player in Parayko than Gostisbehere.
Ghost was actually really solid last year defensively... just inconsistent this year. But as a flyer fan I'd definitely take parayko over ghost even with his great contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad