Panthers @ WJC

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If it's a lockout year draft, we can pick anywhere, assuming the system remains the same.

I would love to get Lindholm, but that would require alot of luck. The other names you have mentioned appeal very much too.

Nichuskin has the physical abilities of a monster. That size and skating ability is redonk good. Whether he has the intelligence to become a great player, i don't know.

My bad, we would have two balls, and 7 teams would have three balls, but obviously we could still pick #1, if we used the 2005 system.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Haven't had time to watch the games for various reasons, so I personally can't say anything about Barkov's play during the WJC's, but based on points he hasn't been himself. Some finnish posters speculated that he's really tired after being overplayed by the Tappara coaches, and IIRC he had like 1+0 in the last 6 games before the WJC.

If DT somehow managed to draft Barkov, I would dare to say it would have a bigger impact on the team's future succees than when he drafted Huber.Thou we would have a Lindros v.2.0 then, since Barkov has said he hopes to play for a team with a rich history. :sarcasm:

I would agree, even though Huby will probably become a better scorer. Having Bjugstad and Barkov down the middle, two big, complete, talented top 6 centers like that locked up for a long time....that would be incredible for us. You need high scoring wingers like Huby to win, but even more importantly you need cornerstone all around players like Barkov. I would dance in my own feces if we landed a guy like Barkov, Lindholm, Drouin, etc., although I don't really like our chances. But it would be incredible. Barkov though tops my list of forwards after MacKinnon. He's basically NHL ready right now and he's a warrior.

Rocco is frustrating to watch this tourney so far. He's either trying to do too much or there are some serious chemistry issues. I sometimes wonder if coaching is an issue. Seems weird that so many guys are underperforming. I have watched all the Sioux games this year and haven't seen him play this bad in any of em. Lots of turnovers which is pretty uncharacteristic of him.

Chemistry might be an issue, but it's no excuse. Every player in the tourney has to deal with that. There are lots of plays Grimaldi has made which were the wrong ones. He has to simplify. I don't really see many US players underperforming either. Seth Jones hasn't been at his best, but he's hasn't been bad either. Gaudreau has been disappointing as well. But the defense has been strong for the most part. The goaltending has been very strong. The team just isn't that good overall and they can't score goals. USA Hockey is just braindead when it comes to their selection for the WJC. It's becoming a serious problem now and it's not only costing them gold medals but it's now starting to cost them a shot at medaling at all. Samuelsson was snubbed. They didn't even invite Erne to camp. Don't tell me the team wouldn't be better with those two instead of Pietala and Bardreau. Noesen's suspension was just bad luck. But that's an entire top 6 line.

There's a big contrast between the U.S. winning the last four U-18's and always doing well in the U-17 Challenge, and then sucking it up at the U-20 WJC for the past several years aside from 2010. The reason is USA Hockey can't meddle with the younger kids because they haven't gone to the CHL yet. USA fills their CHL quota every year and then saves a few spots to "reward" good U.S. boys who stay in the American program toward the NCAA route. It's completely ridiculous and it can't be dismissed any longer as conspiracy theory. Sorry for the rant, I'm just disgusted with these clowns.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I've noticed in the "disappointed" thread that a lot of posters are down on Huberdeau. I remember the same thing was said during the subway series. Yet this kid still racks up the points.

That's fine by me if he 'quietly' puts up points. I'll definitely take wins & points over 'flash'.

-ghoste

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I've noticed in the "disappointed" thread that a lot of posters are down on Huberdeau. I remember the same thing was said during the subway series. Yet this kid still racks up the points.

That's fine by me if he 'quietly' puts up points. I'll definitely take wins & points over 'flash'.

-ghoste
Yeah, I don't worry about it. People have their own opinions, he's doing fine to me. Unless he's doing end to end rushes every shift, people are going to be disappointed.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

-ghoste

Hubs has a role just like every other player on the team. He's been as steady and solid as any other player. Just because he doesn't do laps around the other team with the puck; people freak out and lay on the hate. I read one comment by someone who suggested that Huberdeau isn't a good choice to build a team around.

Yeah..

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hubs has a role just like every other player on the team. He's been as steady and solid as any other player. Just because he doesn't do laps around the other team with the puck; people freak out and lay on the hate. I read one comment by someone who suggested that Huberdeau isn't a good choice to build a team around.

Yeah..

Are they people that are not Panthers fans? Funny how important those passes have been to Canada yet no1 seems to notice that

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
I couldn't disagree more. I don't even know where to start.:shakehead

"Unrealistic expectations", what are you talking about? He DID score a natural hattrick, and its one game.

Only players scoring spectacular goals have NHL upside?

No, goals are not goals. In minor leagues, there are all types of scoring opportunities that do not exist in the NHL because the caliber of play is much higher. Stated a different way, it is much harder to score in the NHL than in minor leagues. So it is completely fair to discount certain goals because they came off an opportunity that will never (or possibly much less frequently) exist in the nhl.

Say a player can score at a certain percentage off of a certain scoring opportunity, for example, on scoring opportunity A (lets say a slap shot from the point in a 5 on 4 situation with a player in perfect position to block the goaltenders view of the shot and no defender in the shooting lane), player X can score 10% of the time. A season goes by and scoring opportunity A presents itself 100 times. Player X scores 10 goals that season from those opportunities. Now player X gets to the NHL where scoring opportunity A presents itself only 10 times a season. Now player X will only score one goal off that opportunity.

My example isn't perfect, but the principle it is trying to demonstrate is true. There are plenty of goals that can be scored on lesser competition that cannot be reproduced in the future against a higher level of competition. So not all goals are goals, as you put it.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Grimaldi & Trocheck both assist on McCabe's second goal. USA up 2-0 against Canada at the end of the 1st period.

-ghoste

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
USA beats Canada 5-1. Now heads to the gold-medal game.

Gibson was in beast mode. USA looking tough.

-ghoste

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Wow, great goals in an awesome win. Proud of the boys, they weren't looking good and are now in the gold medal game. That third goal was sick, excited for the final game. Has made me realize how much I'm missing my Panthers, though.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
No, goals are not goals. In minor leagues, there are all types of scoring opportunities that do not exist in the NHL because the caliber of play is much higher. Stated a different way, it is much harder to score in the NHL than in minor leagues. So it is completely fair to discount certain goals because they came off an opportunity that will never (or possibly much less frequently) exist in the nhl.

Say a player can score at a certain percentage off of a certain scoring opportunity, for example, on scoring opportunity A (lets say a slap shot from the point in a 5 on 4 situation with a player in perfect position to block the goaltenders view of the shot and no defender in the shooting lane), player X can score 10% of the time. A season goes by and scoring opportunity A presents itself 100 times. Player X scores 10 goals that season from those opportunities. Now player X gets to the NHL where scoring opportunity A presents itself only 10 times a season. Now player X will only score one goal off that opportunity.

My example isn't perfect, but the principle it is trying to demonstrate is true. There are plenty of goals that can be scored on lesser competition that cannot be reproduced in the future against a higher level of competition. So not all goals are goals, as you put it.

Wow, really?

You completely missed the point here. I never said it would be anything in the NHL. Kosov scored a natural hat-trick, which is true. And maybe those goals wouldnt go in the NHL, but that was never the point either. He's is playing vs the best in the world in his own age-group and doing it. If it will translate to the NHL etc, was never a part of the discussion.

But Kosov got upside. They way he crashes to the net, going for the re-bounds. He could become a pretty decent power-forward in the future for the Panthers.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Kosov's speed for his size really suprised me. Hope he comes over to NA sooner than never =)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Some people still don't understand that Huby is a cerebral playmaker, not a dynamic speedster. They keep wanting him to be something he's not. Could he have been better in this tourney? Yeah of course, but you can say that about a ton of guys.

I can't believe the U.S. is in the gold medal game. A total 180 the last 3 games, and this is our worst team in years. But I'll take it. It's gonna be extremely tough though, Sweden is a great team, especially if they get any of their top 3 defensemen back.

Bengtsson keeps impressing me. He's been solid defensively, including containing Yakupov in the last seconds of OT. He displays great hockey sense and isn't afraid to join the rush either when the chance is there. Very nice all around game. Grimaldi played better the last game, but has still been a big disappointment.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
OK, here is my late night "I've had a few beers so let me rant about the WJC that I've seen so far" rant.

Number 1. John Gibson is a serious beast. I was was annoyed that he had to reset his hair at every stoppage of play, but who cares. The man can stop pucks. Damn you Anaheim, nice pick.

Number 2. Huberdeau. Not a bad tourney for him but not the best either. I would have liked to see him bloody his nose a bit more in the last game. You want to win? chase some pucks and hit people. I didn't see enough passion from him.

Number 3. Johnny Gaudreau is exactly the type of player that I wish we had drafted and is so fun to watch. I guess I was hoping that would have been Grimaldi. This is a special kid and damn you Calgary for drafting him, kudos to you.

Number 4. Grimaldi, Grimaldi, Grimaldi. What happened to you man? I'm not sure if it was the coaches, or the Russian air or what. But starting the tourney on the first line and getting benched for the quarterfinal game says something. He had a decent game against Canada but if I see him fall down after any shove like I saw so many times, I might get annoyed. Dude, you have a low center of gravity, stop falling to the ice.

Number 5. Vinnie the man Trocheck. The BEST Panther prospect out there. Offence, yep. Defense, yep. Speed, yep. Grit, yep. You know when a guy is on the PP and the PK he is a total player. Everytime he was on the ice I saw number 25 all over the place, and so did the announcers.

Well, thats my beer fueled rant for the next good while, I'm going to go eat some Chinese now.
May the lockout end shortly, the reality and fantasy hockey begin, and all of you HF hosers have a happy new year.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
iv'e been reading the Grimaldi religious stuff and was just wondering if the resumption of this debate was due to something he has done recently. has there been reports its detracting teammates? has he said anything controversial? or is it a topic just because he had a few down games? just an honest question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad