Friedman: Panthers trying to trade Keith Yandle

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think Yandle has a good reputation in the NHLPA and around the league. I think ending his ironman streak would be bad for the locker room and for future free agent signings, particularly with his agent. It would likely be viewed as retribution for using his NMC and might even get a league investigation.

No chance of a league investigation. Team has the right to bench you if you suck. The only reason he hasnt been benched yet is because he's Keith Yandle. Our rookie D Kiersted in his 4th game got double the ice time Yandle got last game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He will agree if it means preserving his ironman streak. That streak is everything to him.

I don't see how forcing the Panthers to a buyout or keeping him will jeopardize that streak. If they do the former, he'll find a place to play no problem. Won't be at the current price obviously but someone will give him a shot. Florida has shown no desire to bench him and I'm sure they tried to move him already and simply can't. I don't see what alternative there is for either side.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see how forcing the Panthers to a buyout or keeping him will jeopardize that streak. If they do the former, he'll find a place to play no problem. Won't be at the current price obviously but someone will give him a shot. Florida has shown no desire to bench him and I'm sure they tried to move him already and simply can't. I don't see what alternative there is for either side.

Zito will let him know that if he doesn't agree to a trade this offseason, his streak will end next season. I 100% guarantee it. After the expansion draft, he'll be movable. They couldnt move him this season for that reason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zito will let him know that if he doesn't agree to a trade this offseason, his streak will end next season. I 100% guarantee it. After the expansion draft, he'll be movable. They couldnt move him this season for that reason.

Didn't they already more or less make that threat before this season started and didn't follow through? Even if he agrees, there's no guarantee that there's a taker at what he makes and the leverage Florida has in this situation. Seems easier to just buy him out and move on.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Didn't they already more or less make that threat before this season started and didn't follow through? Even if he agrees, there's no guarantee that there's a taker at what he makes and the leverage Florida has in this situation. Seems easier to just buy him out and move on.

They might have wanted to see if the threat motivated him. It did, for like 10-15 games. He was honestly great. But that didn't last. I think I also heard something like his teammates went to management and stood up for him? I cant remember. But I think the Panthers have been very civil with him and understanding of his streak after his play dropped again. But that ends this offseason. I think there would be a couple takers for him if we retain. What s likely to happen imo is we give Seattle a 1st along with him in order to protect our other d-men. Francis has already said his shop is open for business for moves like this.

It would actually be more expensive next season to buy him out, which kinds defeats the purpose for us.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
A buy out would suck but it boils down to the Nmc. If he refuses to waive for anywhere then we’ll have no choice. Well, either that or continue to play him.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Since losing Ekblad, we are 4-1
We still for sure have a chance in the playoffs
If you think we have no chance in the playoffs, then that means that you haven't been watching us play
From the few Florida games I've seen, they compete hard and D is very mobile, but you just lost the top guy on D. The minutes are getting replaced by inferior players, it will inevitably bring the team play down.

The 4 wins are against Columbus and Detroit who aren't making the playoffs. Winning 1 playoff series is way more difficult than it previously was.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Columbus just beat Tampa last night. It's not like they suck, they're still a bubble team.
Columbus has a bigger problem which is their locker room. At least one of Torts, Laine and Kekalainen is not coming back for next season. Reporters said Foligno/Savard might get dealt to contenders.

Poster said Florida has a chance in the playoffs. But, in the East, contenders are not teams missing their #1 D (Florida) or selling/re-organizing (Columbus).

It's TB, BOS PIT, NYI, CAR.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Columbus has a bigger problem which is their locker room. At least one of Torts, Laine and Kekalainen is not coming back for next season. Reporters said Foligno/Savard might get dealt to contenders.

Poster said Florida has a chance in the playoffs. But, in the East, contenders are not teams missing their #1 D (Florida) or selling/re-organizing (Columbus).

It's TB, BOS PIT, NYI, CAR.

Lol Florida could definitely still advance in the playoffs. Injuries happen in the playoffs. Other teams could lose key pieces. It's silly to write off Florida. They've been without Ek for a week and a half, and also lost Barkov and Hornqvist for over a week, and are still 5th in the league. If they make a move or two at the deadline, they will be a tough out.

Reactions: Get North

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
They've scratched every defenseman this season except Ekblad and Weegar. Yandle got 5:50 TOI last game and they are scratching contributing forwards to play 7D. So they actively must not want to scratch Yandle.
Occam's Razor says there is a deal where Keith waives his NMC as long as they don't kill his streak.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
They've scratched every defenseman this season except Ekblad and Weegar. Yandle got 5:50 TOI last game and they are scratching contributing forwards to play 7D. So they actively must not want to scratch Yandle.
Occam's Razor says there is a deal where Keith waives his NMC as long as they don't kill his streak.
Who/what is Occam’s Razor?

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Not a fan of bumping old threads, but figured this fits the bill.

After a good start to the year, it's looking more and more like he's only in the line-up to keep the streak alive. Recently he's barely cracked 10 minutes TOI.

No idea what Zito plans to do with him, but there has to be a reason why Q hasn't scratched him by now. It sure as hell isn't because he's playing well, and I don't buy the public outcry excuse. Anyone that watches him play knows that streak is artificially kept alive, his fellow NHL players aren't stupid. And I bet Yandle gets chirped about it in every game now.

I would venture to say he hasn’t been scratched for the same reason that Bob wasn’t benched and for the same reason Bob got a big Bobruski hero night - the organization is trying to present some level of class. After the more recent half decade of boneheaded trades (gotta imagine the players like Yandle as a person) and dumping their head coach on the side of the road, the new mgmt wants to send a message to the players that they will be respected like family until they’re not.

The Panthers are fighting for first place and get absolutely nothing by benching Yandle, aside from maybe hurt feelings. Doesn’t mean they can’t trade him or buy him out when the time is right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad