Confirmed with Link: Panthers sign Dave Bolland (5x5.5)

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Haha, yeah, that's something that amazes me about HF Boards. Some think that players will simply accept whatever the team offers, as if the FA has no choice in the matter or bargaining rights / leverage. Give me a break, it's a two way street, and all UFAs will be going for max money and term. If a team doesn't offer it, that's fine, another team eventually will. It's so easy to arm-chair GM and say "Well this should have really been the contract, and it's a complete joke that it isn't." Right, because you know the player would accept that offer and not counter at all, or move on to another team?

lol.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Haha, yeah, that's something that amazes me about HF Boards. Some think that players will simply accept whatever the team offers, as if the FA has no choice in the matter or bargaining rights / leverage. Give me a break, it's a two way street, and all UFAs will be going for max money and term. If a team doesn't offer it, that's fine, another team eventually will. It's so easy to arm-chair GM and say "Well this should have really been the contract, and it's a complete joke that it isn't." Right, because you know the player would accept that offer and not counter at all, or move on to another team?

lol.

Cherry-logic gets applied. "He's a good ol' Ontario kid, playing for the Leafs is his greatest honor!"

Reality is it is a business.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Only a Leafs fan would say: "Hey, Dave, we know you could make $25 million but how about you risk only making $4.5 so we can see if we want to keep you around at all. You know, show some good 'ol Ontario loyalty so that we can probably screw you and your family over."

If your boss/biggest client said "I know you have that other offer for $2.5 million, guaranteed, over the next 5 years, but we'd really like you to stay here for one more year at $450,000 while we decide if we want to keep you" you'd say what?

And that's not even taking into account DT, the panthers being an actual rebuilding team that's light years ahead of Toronto, income tax considerations, injury situations (most people have a much lower chance of being unable to work due to injury than Dave Bolland) or the Toronto media/fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad