Recalled/Assigned: Panthers recall d-man MacKenzie Weegar from Springfield

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It's still a stupid decision to call Weegar up if they didn't ask Rowe first that if he's going to play or not. Or they did ask him and did it anyway. Why not call up some career AHLer if you just want a healthy body that's not going to play over the mighty Kindl?

Way to reward players by letting them sit in the pressbox and hurt your AHL team in the process.

AHL team is going no where so it's irrelevant. Rather him be around an NHL team at the very least if he's having such a good season. He'll get in, don't worry. Once we lose to Toronto he'll be in the lineup. Springfield just played 3 straight games. Considering he plays 25-30 mins a night, might be fair to give him some rest instead of playing him 4 games in 5 nights, because that's not fair either.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
AHL team is going no where so it's irrelevant. Rather him be around an NHL team at the very least if he's having such a good season. He'll get in, don't worry. Once we lose to Toronto he'll be in the lineup. Springfield just played 3 straight games. Considering he plays 25-30 mins a night, might be fair to give him some rest instead of playing him 4 games in 5 nights, because that's not fair either.
Considering Malgin sat close to a dozen games at one point, I'll believe it when I see it. Rowe saying he doesn't plan to play Weegar over Kindl isn't exactly positive news, unless that comment was taken out of context and he said something like "I don't plan to play Weegar over Kindl in the next couple of games".

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Considering Malgin sat close to a dozen games at one point, I'll believe it when I see it. Rowe saying he doesn't plan to play Weegar over Kindl isn't exactly positive news, unless that comment was taken out of context and he said something like "I don't plan to play Weegar over Kindl in the next couple of games".

He said:

"He's probably not gonna play, we're gonna go with Kindl. But we want him here to get a little taste of what it's about."

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

Lol.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He said:

"He's probably not gonna play, we're gonna go with Kindl. But we want him here to get a little taste of what it's about."
So it's possible he's getting sent back before T-Birds have games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday? It doesn't sound like they want to keep him up for the rest of the season.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Even if he doesn't play he's still getting rewarded with NHL salary instead of ahl.. huge difference for the player

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Even if he doesn't play he's still getting rewarded with NHL salary instead of ahl.. huge difference for the player

Good point, didn't think about that. NHL salary for Weegar is $705,000 compared to just $65,000 in the AHL.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Went on to say:

"Obviously, if we need another guy in case somebody gets hurt tomorrow night, he's here."

Just seems like Weegar would be a better stand-in for Ekblad than Kindl would. Right-handed, offensive capabilities, etc. I guess they want to ease him in which is understandable, but frustrating nonetheless.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
some of rowes decisions have been laughable and his comments after the game are out of the realm of reality. we call players up and they sit. how about we see what they can do. does rowe think kindl will be on the team next year?:rant:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
some of rowes decisions have been laughable and his comments after the game are out of the realm of reality. we call players up and they sit. how about we see what they can do. does rowe think kindl will be on the team next year?:rant:

Kindl would be fine in the AHL. We need some veteran there to make that team a contender and get the kids some playoffs experience.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Kindl = better draft position. :) Maybe Mr. Rowe is on to something.

We were competing for a playoff spot up until a game or two ago.

As far the draft goes, we're not in the top 3 or even 5 or even 10. Draft position doesn't matter.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Christ, guys. I know we all hate Rowe but the outrage about Kindl playing over Weegar is a little unfounded. Teams carry seven defenseman all the time, it just so happens it's Weegar for the next two or three weeks. Let's all chill a little.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Christ, guys. I know we all hate Rowe but the outrage about Kindl playing over Weegar is a little unfounded. Teams carry seven defenseman all the time, it just so happens it's Weegar for the next two or three weeks. Let's all chill a little.

The Problem is Player wanna play, Prospect or NHL ready Player should be stay in their Game rhytm. I can understand when People say, when you call him up let him play. We out of the Race so get him the little extra, for a good AHL Season. Try him out a few Games.

Kindl played good Games, but the Blackouts was their. Kindl and Matheson as an example would be horror show line in the last Minutes of a Game.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

So you're for bringing up one of our best defensive prospects to sit in the press box instead of getting valuable ice time because Kindl has apparently done something to deserve starting over him?

What has Kindl done since we signed him? Hurt the team more than he's helped it. But he deserves to start over a kid who is having a great AHL season.

Rowe is a ****ing idiot.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
LOL if that is the case.

Row: "Weegar, you earned the right to be scratched in the NHL, well done son".

If they want a warm body in the press box just call up a career AHL guy.

Let Weegar continue to play than scratch him up here.

Exactly. Taking a young developing kid off his skates to sit in the press box is ridiculous.

The fact that he won't be playing over a guy like Kindl is just an added incentive to fire this stupid idiot.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Old guy that's in his 30s, 7th d-man at this point of his career and unlikely to amount to much else.

vs.

Young prospect that's had a good AHL season, played big minutes there and his NHL ceiling is still unknown since he hasn't played a game yet.

Calling Weegar up is a great move to reward him for a good season. Why call him up at all if Rowe doesn't plan on playing him though? Now that's stupid on so many levels and the only positive is that Weegar gets paid more.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Again, Weegar is coming off 3 games in 3 days, tomorrow would've made it 4 games in 5 days. For christ's sake can we give him a day off and play him after that? Do we really think Kindl is gonna play the rest of the season and they brought up Weegar to skate around in practice for the next month?

I know you all want to find the smallest thing to bash Rowe about, but this is ridiculous. The kid didn't even make it in time for practice today. Can we let a 23-year old prospect making his NHL debut get a full team practice in before he plays?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Again, Weegar is coming off 3 games in 3 days, tomorrow would've made it 4 games in 5 days. For christ's sake can we give him a day off and play him after that? Do we really think Kindl is gonna play the rest of the season and they brought up Weegar to skate around in practice for the next month?

I know you all want to find the smallest thing to bash Rowe about, but this is ridiculous. The kid didn't even make it in time for practice today. Can we let a 23-year old prospect making his NHL debut get a full team practice in before he plays?
Well excuse me for being skeptical, considering how case Malgin has been handled. Like I already said, "Weegar won't play over Kindl" doesn't exactly sound positive, no matter how sure you are that he's getting to play. You'd think Rowe would say something like "Weegar has had a good year in the AHL, well deserved call-up, looking forward to seeing him play his first NHL game". Instead he says that Kindl will play over Weegar and he's there just in case injuries.

I'd criticize this move if Gallant was still the coach and Tallon sole GM, if they said the exact same things that have been said now. I'll believe Weegar gets in a game when I see it.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

It's fine to sit him tomorrow but "he won't play over Kindl" suggests he won't play in Columbus either. And if he doesn't Rowe is officially the worst coach we have ever had.

Harming the future while having a year without playoffs. This guy sucks

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Well excuse me for being skeptical, considering how case Malgin has been handled. Like I already said, "Weegar won't play over Kindl" doesn't exactly sound positive, no matter how sure you are that he's getting to play. You'd think Rowe would say something like "Weegar has had a good year in the AHL, well deserved call-up, looking forward to seeing him play his first NHL game". Instead he says that Kindl will play over Weegar and he's there just in case injuries.

I'd criticize this move if Gallant was still the coach and Tallon sole GM, if they said the exact same things that have been said now. I'll believe Weegar gets in a game when I see it.

Again, Rowe never uttered the words "Weegar won't play over Kindl"...I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Rowe was referring to tomorrow's game when he said "Weegar probably won't play, we're gonna go with Kindl". He never at any point suggested that Kindl would be playing over Weegar for the next X number of games / the rest of the season.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It's fine to sit him tomorrow but "he won't play over Kindl" suggests he won't play in Columbus either. And if he doesn't Rowe is officially the worst coach we have ever had.

He never said that! Where are we getting this from?? I was there standing right next to him and he never said those words. I have the full audio of his presser if you'd like to hear it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad