Confirmed with Link: Panthers re-sign Ekblad for 8 years, 7.5M AAV, 60M total

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
When Ekblad contract was released, it sounded like ownership/management wasn't going to screw around. It doesn't even sound like there was any real negotiation. They probably came forward with that offer and obviously Ekblad wasn't going to reject considering the number and term. Could we have gone back and forth and delayed the process in order to save maybe $500,000 per year? Yes, probably, but does it really matter in the long run? I don't think so.

I can understand why other teams might be a bit annoyed, but everyone operates and conducts business differently. Instead of complaining, maybe they should worry about their own teams well being. I highly doubt Viola and co. give a crap about what other teams think.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Progression isn't linear, but Ekblad was one of the best teenager D since forever and his stats were nearly unheard of and close to generational level... He then followed with another pretty good and solid season... No reason to think the guy is at his peak, and no reason to think he is really overpaid.

As I've said, you're right, Lindholm is awesome and should get his 6M+ a year contract... Anaheim is really messing with one of the best young d in the game. I'm happy my Panthers didn't mess around concerning Ekblad or some other players, those things can go sour pretty quickly, and I do not think Aaron will be overpaid by the end of his contract.

So we should be fine !
If he has peaked then he is definitely overpaid. He is not a number one defeseman yet! Hopefully he hasn't peaked. Probably hasn't. Time will tell.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I can't think of 1 elite dman in the league with skating as slow as eks... his iq is top notch.. but I can't think of any improvements from his rookie year til now in his game or toolbox.. that's a concern for me

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I can't think of 1 elite dman in the league with skating as slow as eks... his iq is top notch.. but I can't think of any improvements from his rookie year til now in his game or toolbox.. that's a concern for me

He likes to step away from the game in the off-season. Should probably not do that anymore.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Would agree. It's early and he's already been beaten wide countless times or even just in small races to the puck deep in the d zone. It really holds him back and it's something I hoped to see him improve but he hasn't.

Last edited:

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Would agree. It's early and he's already been beaten wide countless times or even just in small races to the puck deep in the d zone. It really holds him back and it's something I hoped to see him improve but he hasn't.

Do you know if he works on his skating in the offseason batting? my only worries is that he feels like the skating is good enough and just does not try and improve on it.

Compared to guys like Rielly,Risto,Klingberg etc the skating is way off.

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Since he has been compared to Lidström - skating wasn't one of his strongsuits either - I would not eorry too much. You don't lose your hockey IQ from one season to another and it has just been a few games... nevertheless, his skating leaves indeed room for improvement

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I was worried about all those long term contracts we handed out. Only ones that I think were warrented were Barkov and Huberdeau as the only proven ones.

I fear Ekblad/Smith deals expecially are gonna come back to haunt us. Expecially Ekblad as it seems he's just getting worse as the years go by. Is he actually getting worse at skating? Is there something wrong with him?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I was worried about all those long term contracts we handed out. Only ones that I think were warrented were Barkov and Huberdeau as the only proven ones.

I fear Ekblad/Smith deals expecially are gonna come back to haunt us. Expecially Ekblad as it seems he's just getting worse as the years go by. Is he actually getting worse at skating? Is there something wrong with him?

NHL Calder Trophy Winner, 2x NHL All-star, 20 years old

Yeah, unproven.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah, unproven.

Let's not mislead people by just saying "2x NHL All-star." There's the All-Star game and then there's the postseason All-Star team. The latter is the prestigious one. Ekblad was the former.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Yeah, unproven.

Worth 7.5M$ when we could waited one more year to see if he improves? No

You can't deny his skating ability has not gotten better in 3 years and his struggles this year have been huge.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Worth 7.5M$ when we could waited one more year to see if he improves? No

You can't deny his skating ability has not gotten better in 3 years and his struggles this year have been huge.

This year equates to 6 games.

Take a chill pill jack.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
This year equates to 6 games.

Take a chill pill jack.

Were looking at the tools... the skating won't get better during the season it never has in the past.. it's a fair criticism.. his play will definitely improve through the year.. he seems to be fighting the puck or something.. his position hasn't been bad and decision making good for the most part but his skating is the issue..

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I agree, his skating is definitely his biggest negative. It needs to improve and it can. Overall, he's been a fantastic player and he's off to a crappy start. First slump of his NHL career after two full seasons. I'm not concerned.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm really starting to believe there was no negotiation.

"Yo Ekblad, what would be your dream deal?"

"8 years 7.5 million per."

"Deal!"

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm really starting to believe there was no negotiation.

"Yo Ekblad, what would be your dream deal?"

"8 years 7.5 million per."

"Deal!"

That was my feeling when I first saw the deal. So much risk involved with this contract. He has to become as good as Hedman to justify it.

Who is in charge of negotiations for Florida atm? Do they understand how RFAs work?

This new management group has been a lot better with the UFAs, but the re-signing of RFAs looks very questionable to me.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
lindholm obviously took below market value, i don't think a single person would've been surprised if he was signed for at least 6per. he also signed a 6yr contract vs an 8yr, those are 2 more ufa years being bought so the 8yr deal will be a bit more pricey. i do think we shouldve waited for this season to play out before signing him. only reason for doing when they did is if they were worried that come this time next season he'd be worth or commanding even more than that. i think the 7.5 is the tip of what he's worth. either way, assuming his numbers and his play this season is close to if not better than the last 2yrs, i think he'd still get 7per on a 8yr deal, cheaper for a 6yr contract but for an 8yr i think he still hits 7per

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
lindholm obviously took below market value, i don't think a single person would've been surprised if he was signed for at least 6per. he also signed a 6yr contract vs an 8yr, those are 2 more ufa years being bought so the 8yr deal will be a bit more pricey. i do think we shouldve waited for this season to play out before signing him. only reason for doing when they did is if they were worried that come this time next season he'd be worth or commanding even more than that. i think the 7.5 is the tip of what he's worth. either way, assuming his numbers and his play this season is close to if not better than the last 2yrs, i think he'd still get 7per on a 8yr deal, cheaper for a 6yr contract but for an 8yr i think he still hits 7per

Coming here to confirm.

As an outsider, the Ekblad contract still seems a bit on the risky side, but considering the potential of Ekblad and the fact that it's a 8y contract it really could be worse.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
ekbald misses campbell! look what campbell did for garrison when he was here. got a great payday when he left. ekblad misses campbell and mitchell. they were cornerstones for him. he's also been given too much responsibility and we should've waited to give him an A. he's feeling the pressure, his skating is below par and he is not playing a fluid game. i think he hasn't adjusted to his d partners very well either and he's jumping in the offensive end improperly at times. hopefully he figures this out soon because he sure as heck isn't worth close to his contract now.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad