Confirmed with Link: Panthers re-sign Ekblad for 8 years, 7.5M AAV, 60M total

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Actually hang on a minute, this thought got me thinking. How many young NHL players (still eligible for RFA) in recent years have been overpaid massively, just because they have the potential to reach that salary they're getting paid? Cody Hodgson is the only one I can think of and we all know how that turned out. The rest are underpaid or paid market value, that's how RFA works.

This ownership group has a penchant for locking up anyone who has had any amount of success or could potentially be successful to long term deals, even if not deserved. Gallant, Smith, Ekblad etc

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
This ownership group has a penchant for locking up anyone who has had any amount of success or could potentially be successful to long term deals, even if not deserved. Gallant, Smith, Ekblad etc

Almost reminds me of the mid to late 2000's when ownership locked up guys like Weiss, Horton and Olesz etc to long term deals trying to bet that they pan out and have a steal of a contract a few years in.
Hedging their bets that they can "save" money by signing deals early.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't see the talent of ekblad vs olesz being comparable. that was paying for potential your hoping he becomes, ekblad has already proven and shown incredible amounts of skill in his first 2yrs already. i doubt he peaked...

yea we couldve signed him to a bridge, but if they didnt want to, which apparently they didnt, and just going straight into an 8yr deal then you pay him the top dollar amount especially considering the length of the contract and eating up more ufa years. unless of course you get kinda lucky and they willingly take less for the teams sake.

exceptional player status and drafted 1st overall into the ohl, then drafted 1st overall into the nhl as a D, then makes the team as an 18yr old and scores 12g and 40pt, wins rookie of the year, next year scores even more at 15g and close to the same amount of points, big body/frame, responsible 2way defender who can score goals, incredible mature and future captain. one of the best young defenders in the league, assuming he puts up a similar season this year production wise (10 to 15 goals, give or take 35pt, while remaining responsible and reliable), going straight into an 8yr deal what do you guys think he'd top out at? i don't see him getting under 7per, or at least i see 7 as the going rate for that.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
i don't see the talent of ekblad vs olesz being comparable. that was paying for potential your hoping he becomes, ekblad has already proven and shown incredible amounts of skill in his first 2yrs already. i doubt he peaked...

yea we couldve signed him to a bridge, but if they didnt want to, which apparently they didnt, and just going straight into an 8yr deal then you pay him the top dollar amount especially considering the length of the contract and eating up more ufa years. unless of course you get kinda lucky and they willingly take less for the teams sake.

exceptional player status and drafted 1st overall into the ohl, then drafted 1st overall into the nhl as a D, then makes the team as an 18yr old and scores 12g and 40pt, wins rookie of the year, next year scores even more at 15g and close to the same amount of points, big body/frame, responsible 2way defender who can score goals, incredible mature and future captain. one of the best young defenders in the league, assuming he puts up a similar season this year production wise (10 to 15 goals, give or take 35pt, while remaining responsible and reliable), going straight into an 8yr deal what do you guys think he'd top out at? i don't see him getting under 7per, or at least i see 7 as the going rate for that.

Read SoupyFins post again.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hi, I just wanted to ask - is Ekblad sometimes playing on the left side or does he play only right side? I didn't know where else to ask this question, thanks for any answer. I have seen some Florida games and I've seen Ekblad on the left side a few times, but maybe that was a PP or it just played out that way for a few seconds I don't know. Again thanks for any replies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Hi, I just wanted to ask - is Ekblad sometimes playing on the left side or does he play only right side? I didn't know where else to ask this question, thanks for any answer. I have seen some Florida games and I've seen Ekblad on the left side a few times, but maybe that was a PP or it just played out that way for a few seconds I don't know. Again thanks for any replies.

He plays on the right.

He lines up on the left during offensive faceoffs and powerplays only.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Read SoupyFins post again.

ok, i just did, what did I miss? that we couldve signed him to a bridge deal and still sign him to that 8yr deal at the same price either way? i know that, and ive said that before. i said the only reason why the panthers would forego the bridge and just jump into the 8yr deal is that obviously they think that it'd be a gamble and he could possibly command more after those more 2yrs. if they knew they could still get the same deal after 2yrs, and i agree that i think they would've, then wouldnt they?

we can say he's overpaid as of right now. well, technically he's still on his elc so he isnt, but yes he's not worth his contract yet. and young players are always paid for for theyre expect to be GRANTED they show it in those early years. how are we going to say it never happens? it always does, thats how contracts work. are we going to say mcdavid, after his first 2 or 3 years now won't end up getting an 8yr deal at something insane? obviously he will. ekblad played amazing and the entire league took notice, he's one of the best young d in the league obviously. after showing what he did in his first 2yrs, you pay him that type of money because if he's able to get exceptional status, drafted 1st overall, make the team at 18, score double digit goals and 40pt as an 18/19yr old breaking records of bobby orr, 15g and 35+pt in his sophomore year, having size, mature beyond his years, and plays a responsible game, the whole league would drool for a player like him. after doing that at that age in those first 2yrs yea you expect him to be one of the best, top-15-20, and if you decide to sign an 8yr contract NOW then thats what it'll cost given what he's shown and expecting him to project even further given his young age still and still developing and maturing. sure they could've gotten a little bit off, I'm still convinced he'd cost at least 7per either way unless he himself took a discount. i just wish they let him play out this season and then go into the 8yr deal, give him 3yrs instead of just the 2 to prove himself that much more. i think they still couldve had him at 7.5per either way, whether they waited one more year, or even gave him a 2yr bridge and then signed it, obviously the panthers felt otherwise. i still don't see it as a big deal either way. and the only reason why people are freaking out now is because he's off to a slow start. after those 2yrs played out and then signed it, most people were ok. most.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
ok, i just did, what did I miss? that we couldve signed him to a bridge deal and still sign him to that 8yr deal at the same price either way? i know that, and ive said that before. i said the only reason why the panthers would forego the bridge and just jump into the 8yr deal is that obviously they think that it'd be a gamble and he could possibly command more after those more 2yrs. if they knew they could still get the same deal after 2yrs, and i agree that i think they would've, then wouldnt they?

we can say he's overpaid as of right now. well, technically he's still on his elc so he isnt, but yes he's not worth his contract yet. and young players are always paid for for theyre expect to be GRANTED they show it in those early years. how are we going to say it never happens? it always does, thats how contracts work. are we going to say mcdavid, after his first 2 or 3 years now won't end up getting an 8yr deal at something insane? obviously he will. ekblad played amazing and the entire league took notice, he's one of the best young d in the league obviously. after showing what he did in his first 2yrs, you pay him that type of money because if he's able to get exceptional status, drafted 1st overall, make the team at 18, score double digit goals and 40pt as an 18/19yr old breaking records of bobby orr, 15g and 35+pt in his sophomore year, having size, mature beyond his years, and plays a responsible game, the whole league would drool for a player like him. after doing that at that age in those first 2yrs yea you expect him to be one of the best, top-15-20, and if you decide to sign an 8yr contract NOW then thats what it'll cost given what he's shown and expecting him to project even further given his young age still and still developing and maturing. sure they could've gotten a little bit off, I'm still convinced he'd cost at least 7per either way unless he himself took a discount. i just wish they let him play out this season and then go into the 8yr deal, give him 3yrs instead of just the 2 to prove himself that much more. i think they still couldve had him at 7.5per either way, whether they waited one more year, or even gave him a 2yr bridge and then signed it, obviously the panthers felt otherwise. i still don't see it as a big deal either way. and the only reason why people are freaking out now is because he's off to a slow start. after those 2yrs played out and then signed it, most people were ok. most.
Ekblad whilst performing well was sheltered. Look at how much his contemporaries like risto, Jones, Lindholm got. His skating is really holding him back at the moment. The panthers pretty much took all the risk with this contract extension. Maybe seeing how he performs without Campbell looking after him would have been a good idea. We jumped the gun signing him, and he has to improve quite a bit to justify that contract. Hopefully he will, but there are legitimate concerns he won't. It felt like negotiations did not happen. We had most of the power because he is a RFA. But we just game him a massive extension hoping he turns into the player we want him to be.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
After how many games should we get really concerned about Ekblad? I still think he had a concussion and it didnt heal correctly.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Ive been watching hockey for a long time and I've never seen such a downward spike in play from one year to the next like I've seen from Ekblad this year. I am hoping maybe the McIlrath trade was in part to allow Ekblad to sit for a few games and recuperate. It is really baffling. I saw Bouwmeester playing last night and it made me remember how highly touted and good he looked here in his first few years as a Panther I am hoping number 5 doesn't become number 4.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ive been watching hockey for a long time and I've never seen such a downward spike in play from one year to the next like I've seen from Ekblad this year. I am hoping maybe the McIlrath trade was in part to allow Ekblad to sit for a few games and recuperate. It is really baffling. I saw Bouwmeester playing last night and it made me remember how highly touted and good he looked here in his first few years as a Panther I am hoping number 5 doesn't become number 4.

There were 3 seperate times Ekbad went pointless for 6 straight games last year. He's going to have some growing pains but most young players go through the step back stage, just frustrating because this is the year many of us had him pegged for a 40+ pt season. He's too good of a player to not break out of this funk, still think he turns it around before the end of this month and rebounds to a 25-30pt season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
There were 3 seperate times Ekbad went pointless for 6 straight games last year. He's going to have some growing pains but most young players go through the step back stage, just frustrating because this is the year many of us had him pegged for a 40+ pt season. He's too good of a player to not break out of this funk, still think he turns it around before the end of this month and rebounds to a 25-30pt season.

Him not getting points woudn't get me that worried but the fact he's been HORRIBLE defensively.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He has just been slow which has gotten him into trouble several times. It's not like his hockey IQ got punched out with the concussion.

edit

in fact, is he our slowest defender?

Pysyk is probably next but even he probably has more speed than Ekblad.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I dont really use points as a gauge to whether a player is playing well or not. Someone like Pirri for example can score a lot of goals but not really be a good hockey player. Or someone like Reilly Smith can go scoreless and still be a terrific hockey player. Right now Ekblad is playing bad hockey, points or no points.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
He has just been slow which has gotten him into trouble several times. It's not like his hockey IQ got punched out with the concussion.

edit

in fact, is he our slowest defender?

Pysyk is probably next but even he probably has more speed than Ekblad.

A lot of people keep alluding to his foot speed, I really don't see it as a problem. The problem is his decision making with the puck and to an extent his hockey IQ. They are terrible and that is no exaggeration, particularly when he has the puck. It is most evident when an oncoming forward is darting towards him, its like he his hesitating and second/third/ even fourth guessing what he should do. Its almost like everyone is playing in fast forward and he can't keep up, reminiscent of Gudbranson when he would get the puck on his stick. I really don't think its his skating at all just very very slow/bad decision making with the puck.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
lol when he was asked why panther fans should be excited for the upcoming year... had a pretty tough time finding an answer to that one :laugh:

Well, maybe, .... although I felt that he wanted to think for a bit and not give a bogus answer. I thought his response ended up being good.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Well, maybe, .... although I felt that he wanted to think for a bit and not give a bogus answer. I thought his response ended up being good.

I would prefer an athlete take 5 seconds to think about an actual answer, rather than just giving a generic answer that was created for them by a PR person

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Lol Im re-reading and laughing at the lack of reasonable patience!!

Such unreasonable negativity leads me to be that much more positive and hopeful!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad