Rumor: Panthers open to moving Demers for right price (upd: trade with Yotes in the works?)

ratmanfu

Jun 23, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
The correct move right now is to hold on to Demers.

Let's see how he does with actual coaching this season.

If an opportunity presents itself, move him for a winger.

Pretty much this, although Demers needs to be paired with a strong defense-first partner.

Back when he played for the Sharks, he excelled when paired with Vlasic (who wouldn't though), but his final season there was mostly on a bottom pairing with the likes of Scott Hannan and Matt Irwin.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would there be any interest in moving him for a package of:

Ben Lovejoy (32 RD 2.66 AAV for next two seasons)
Joseph Blandisi (22 LW/C RFA)
Pick

I'd love to add Demers to the Devils RD, but I have a feeling that package makes little sense for the Panthers.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
I don't know about that. Play better for a team that doesn't want me

Well this is where "character" comes into play. Do I sulk and play only to a fraction of my potential? Or do I buy in to what the new coach and team needs and go balls out to prove my worth? I hope it's the latter.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Pick

I'd love to add Demers to the Devils RD, but I have a feeling that package makes little sense for the Panthers.

Pretty much that.

I'd rather get a cap dump winger than another defenseman. I would have done Cammy if you guys didn't buy him out. You have some decent prospects but we do have a fair share of them that are a year or two away as well. I'd add to Demers or retain on him to get Henrique if need be.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
May as well keep him at this point... see how new structure helps.. also we have decent depth if a dman goes down... if we trade him for futures we're looking at mcoshen or weegar playing significant minutes and no NHL ready call ups

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I'm the first one to call a cab for Demers but selling him for peanuts doesn't make much sense.

He does have positive value to a team that's looking for an offensive minded, right-handed D. We unfortunately don't need either one right now so he's basically extra baggage.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Pick

I've seen worse proposals, I like Blandisi- feisty type, and Lovejoy is a low price low risk recent Stanley Cup Champion, meanwhile our defensive prospect depth doesn't get any better.

Now I gotta ask, do you not like Lovejoy, and why? Be honest!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
How about Demers for Tatar.

id love tatar. one for one it won't happen.

man what i would do for mantha though, that kid is the real deal. you put him on barkov and huberdeau's wing? good lord. obviously not just for demers, but id try and add and attempt it. he'd be perfect. id do demers and borgstrom and take a cap dump back but they probably wouldnt want t give up an already developed commodity for a still developing one, they know what they have in mantha, they need centers and we're fine there but I'm sure they'd want an already established roster player.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Greetings all. What is the asking price for Demers? I assume minimal salary if any going back to the Panthers. Safe to assume a pick or prospect?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Greetings all. What is the asking price for Demers? I assume minimal salary if any going back to the Panthers. Safe to assume a pick or prospect?
You got it. He's yours for a 7th and we eat $500K per. :)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

He suc..... ooooohhh, you're actually interested? I meant, he's worth a second rounder and a third line RW. And that's a good deal!

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

We're fine to take back salary... asking price is probably a good physical 3w who's good defensively.. don't listen to some of these posters.. demers is a perfectly fine top4 d... obviously here he is redundant and was misused so the fans think he sucks but don't put m Can stock into their biased opinions

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Is Demers strictly a RHD? Has he played on the left side?

Pens do have lots of winger depth. No real need for another D at this time, but we do need a center and it's possible that we move a D to get one. That would put the Pens in the market for a D.

Demers with 4 years left and a NTC makes him a potential risk if we had to move him though.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^The problem is the supposed internal Cap of $65M and not his performance IMO. We have 16 contracts on the books minus Malgin (who may or may not make the final roster) and Demers to start the season. That leaves us at $59M.

Now we start adding back to meet the 20 dressed slots necessary to field a team. McCoshen will get Demers slot and his cap hit is $925K. To keep it simple we'll fill the other 3 slots with forwards that are still on elc's....at an average cap hit of $825K. That brings us up to $62.5M.

So we now have $2.5M left to play with for 3 open final roster slots of guys who will likely spend 2/3 of the season in the press box. Should the spots be filled by prospects who need icetime in the AHL or 3 vets who are signed from the UFA junk pile or 3 guys who don't make thru waivers as final cuts at the end of pre-season? We could even reduce the final roster to 21 or 22 and just bring up guys as we need them from the AHL as the inevitable injuries occur. It's anyone's guess where they come from and it will be up to Tallon to juggle players to keep Viola happy.

As a caveat, if they keep Demers then the Cap is $63.5M, then it's Tallon's juggling of players between the AHL and NHL that will be necessary. Certainly not a big deal in the overall scheme of things but they could owe an additional $1.25M in performance bonus' to Vrbata at the end of the season. I don't see Demers in the final equation and nothing coming back our way but a draft pick with likely $500K going back out to reduce his cost to any suitor to $4M. :)

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
^The problem is the supposed internal Cap of $65M and not his performance IMO. We have 16 contracts on the books minus Malgin (who may or may not make the final roster) and Demers to start the season. That leaves us at $59M.

Now we start adding back to meet the 20 dressed slots necessary to field a team. McCoshen will get Demers slot and his cap hit is $925K. To keep it simple we'll fill the other 3 slots with forwards that are still on elc's....at an average cap hit of $825K. That brings us up to $62.5M.

So we now have $2.5M left to play with for 3 open final roster slots of guys who will likely spend 2/3 of the season in the press box. Should the spots be filled by prospects who need icetime in the AHL or 3 vets who are signed from the UFA junk pile or 3 guys who don't make thru waivers as final cuts at the end of pre-season? We could even reduce the final roster to 21 or 22 and just bring up guys as we need them from the AHL as the inevitable injuries occur. It's anyone's guess where they come from and it will be up to Tallon to juggle players to keep Viola happy.

As a caveat, if they keep Demers then the Cap is $63.5M, then it's Tallon's juggling of players between the AHL and NHL that will be necessary. Certainly not a big deal in the overall scheme of things but they could owe an additional $1.25M in performance bonus' to Vrbata at the end of the season. I don't see Demers in the final equation and nothing coming back our way but a draft pick with likely $500K going back out to reduce his cost to any suitor to $4M. :)

Screw the internal cap and screw viola. demers is a keeper and legitimate to 4 defenseman.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Screw the internal cap and screw viola. demers is a keeper and legitimate to 4 defenseman.

All I can say is I watched most games last season and to me, he was not good defensively, made noticeable mistakes on defense most games and was not physical enough to defend effectively against bigger players. Yes, his offense offset some of those deficiencies but out of all the D-men he is the one I would have the least problems letting go, and is not close, especially considering what he is getting paid.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007

I do not get why many on this board have a disdain for Demers, it goes beyond dislike, it feels in the same way where they were attacking Campbell when he was here, I wouldn't say he is a superstar or a solution to our problems.

Just because our team is configured in a way he is expendable, that on itself does not mean he is terrible player, collectively the whole team had a bad year, everyone, if everything goes well without those terrible injuries we had at the beginning of the last season, Yandle and Demers will proof to be invaluable.

Having said that, if he gets traded, I am fine with that, but he is not a terrible player and he would be valuable to any team he decides to go to.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I do not get why many on this board have a disdain for Demers, it goes beyond dislike, it feels in the same way where they were attacking Campbell when he was here, I wouldn't say he is a superstar or a solution to our problems.

Just because our team is configured in a way he is expendable, that on itself does not mean he is terrible player, collectively the whole team had a bad year, everyone, if everything goes well without those terrible injuries we had at the beginning of the last season, Yandle and Demers will proof to be invaluable.

Having said that, if he gets traded, I am fine with that, but he is not a terrible player and he would be valuable to any team he decides to go to.

Why so many don´t like him. In the last Years our Defensive was in the best when they focused on the defensive part not on the offensive part.

As former poster said, you can watch many Ganes. He can´t play on defensiv Side of the Ice, lack in physical Games. What also lead to a few Goals against us.

Yes he is really good when it comes to the offensive Side of the Game, proof it with a few Teams. But since no one knows how our next System will look and how he fits into this System. All we saw from him was nothing impress me on both Sides off the ice, for what he get paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad