Line Combos: Panthers line combinations

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Honestly as much as I hate saying this, I think the only realistic option (and most logical more importantly) is to play Santo in the 2nd line spot. I know he's been terrible over the last season and change but he was playing a checking line role. He's not very effective unless he plays on a more offensive line. I don't expect much from him, but I don't see the reason to put Hubs or Mueller in an awkward position to start the season. Santo is our only other option to play center, and maybe playing with Mueller and Hubs can help him get back to his 20-goal season form for the start of the season. He is playing for a contract after all.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
@howaboutthempanthers

i personally dont recall, i dont believe so, i remember he played wing during the rookie games and i believe he also played wing during the rookie camps.

Yeah, I remember in the last Panthers rookie scrimmage, they had him on the wing with Bjugstad at center.

-ghoste

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Strictly thinking this year, does anyone disagree that Markstrom gives us the best chance to get the critical fast start? We have 5 games in 8 days to start. Same argument as last yr (sorry)...theo Markstrom gives us best chance, MORE SO since Markstrom is hot and ready.

Not even sure if it can be done, just thinking wins and losses here. We CAN NOT start slow.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
GR just confirmed via Twitter that Sturm has interest from a few teams but the Panthers are NOT one of them.

Also, to those of you comparing him to Stumpel. Sure Sturm was relatively responsible on D, but his offensive output was non-existent. Stumpel played a key role as a secondary offensive weapon for us and had a couple of great years in a Panthers uniform. Don't really think you can compare Sturm to him at all...

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Strictly thinking this year, does anyone disagree that Markstrom gives us the best chance to get the critical fast start? We have 5 games in 8 days to start. Same argument as last yr (sorry)...theo Markstrom gives us best chance, MORE SO since Markstrom is hot and ready.

Not even sure if it can be done, just thinking wins and losses here. We CAN NOT start slow.

The schedule has been posted? Link please

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
GR just confirmed via Twitter that Sturm has interest from a few teams but the Panthers are NOT one of them.

Also, to those of you comparing him to Stumpel. Sure Sturm was relatively responsible on D, but his offensive output was non-existent. Stumpel played a key role as a secondary offensive weapon for us and had a couple of great years in a Panthers uniform. Don't really think you can compare Sturm to him at all...

Sturm had the heart we wanted but not the talent, I do hope they don't retain him, he added nothing offensively. Sturm's current output doesn't come close to how good Stumpel was for us, Stumpel was rather underrated.

There's no question in my mind Sturm and Santorelli are history. We have plenty of players just dying to get on this team now, especially some AHLers who have an extra half year of experience now (Howden, Shore, etc). Does anyone think Smithson will be retained? I didn't find he had much of an impact.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Upshall-Huberdeau-Mueller
Kopecky-Santorelli-Svatos
Skille-Smithson-Parros

Kuba-Cambell
Kulikov-Weaver
Jovanovski-Gudbranson
Ellerby

That's assuming Goc, Bergenheim, and Matthias are out.

Mueller plays center, and then you could move Huberdeau to the wing (and swap side with Upshall if necessary).

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Weren't some of you on here thinking Howden could also make the team before the lockout happened? Is he in camp?

I think he has a shot but it's unlikely he'll make it, imo. The most likely young guy to make the team is Drew Shore. I expect both to be at camp.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Fleishmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Kostitsyn-Huberdeau-Mueller
Kovalev-Matthias-Upshall
Kopecky-Smithson-Skille

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
@Gudbranson4prez

i think matthias is still recovering from a concussion. i agree with the top 2 lines, and would just slot kopi as the 3rd line center if matthias is indeed still out.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Bruins fan but I enjoy watching Panther games. When they are fully healthy my lineup would look something like this.

Upshall/Bergenheim - Weiss - Versteeg
Huberdeau - Fleischmann - Mueller
Bergenheim/Upshall - Goc - Kopecky
Matthias - Smithson - Skille
Santorelli
Parros

Campbell Kuba
Kulikov Gudbrandson
Jovonovski Ellerby
Weaver

Markstrom
Theodore
Clemmenson

I took Fleischmann off the top line because he had good chemistry with Mueller in Colorado if I remember correctly. Also because he can play center if you dont want Mueller at center. I like Bergenheim alot more than Upshall but Upshall has actually had a 20+ goal season recently. One of them with Goc and Kopecky is a very good 3rd line. The 4th line is also very good. If you need some toughness insert Parros or if you need some more scoring bump Matthias and Santorelli up.

Its hard to make good D pairings without pairing young players together but its still a pretty good dcorps.

I dont think Kovalev or Svatos crack the team but who knows. Personally I would have invited Brian Rolston too but maybe they tried. He was terrible with the islanders but once he came to the Bruins he was very effective on Bruins 3rd line and was one of the few Bruins who played well in the playoffs. He is an excellent skater for his size and age and still has a great shot.

EDIT: Just noticed Kostitsyn is attending camp too. As much as I hate the guy he probably has a better shot at making the team than Kovalev or Svatos.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
I love all the talk of the prospects finally making the team. It will be really exciting to see these guys like Huberdeau and Shore make an impact with the team. Next year will be even better with Bjugstad and Howden probably making the team. There will be some tough cuts to make, but I think we will have a great team that will just keep getting better. :handclap:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Flash Weiss Versteeg
Hubs Shore Mueller
Bergie Goc Upshall
Kopecky Smithson Skille

Campbell Kuba
Kulikov Weaver
Jovonovski Guds

Theo
Clemmer

Matthias and possibly Ellerby get traded

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i actually just thought of a few slight changes for our lineup. matthias says he's good to go, but regardless, with a completely healthy lineup i have:

Huberdeau-Kopecky-Mueller
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall
Kovalev/Skille/Matthias-Smithson-Parros

obviously, for us, the 1st line is a given and is set. the 3rd line, i love having bergenheim and goc together, and them being on the 3rd is perfect, they did awesome on the 2nd last year so having them together and having that talent on the 3rd, along with upshall, is a perfect 3rd line, that is set. on the 2nd we can keep huberdeau at lw and mueller at rw (which i both want), and our "left over" player is kopecky, who can play center and even played a bit on the 2nd line last year. even tho i wasnt impressed with him last year, for me, the 1st is set, the 3rd is set, the 2nd is set except at center. kopecky has potential, his snap shot/wrist shot and his release is so good, he has a tremendous shot but never uses it. i truly believe he "can" hit 20 playing on the 2nd, with hsi shot and potential and playing along side hubs and mueller, it may not be that bad. then smithson at center, parros at wing, and 1 of matthias, kovalev or skille at the other wing.

now, with injuries (bergenheim, goc), i have:

Huberdeau-Kopecky-Mueller
Kovalev-Matthias-Upshall
Parros-Smithson-Skille

the top two lines stay the same. bergy and goc are both recovering from injuries, and both (potentially) on the 3rd line together, just keep the top 2 the same, keep upshall on the 3rd, and have kovalev (or kostitsyn if he shows up) replace bergy and matthias to replace goc. then smithson, parros, and skille on the 4th.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Flash Weiss Versteeg
Hubs Shore Mueller
Bergie Goc Upshall
Kopecky Smithson Skille

Campbell Kuba
Kulikov Weaver
Jovonovski Guds

Theo
Clemmer

Matthias and possibly Ellerby get traded
I wanted to explain the Shore pick...

I think Shore has a good shot of making the team for a few reasons.

1) He's in game shape
2) He's playing great hockey
3) We need a center with some skill, especially with Goc out
4) He's got size and is defensively responsible. plays a great 2 way game so he shouldn't be a liability.
5) We can always send him down when Goc comes back

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
and on D:

Campbell-Kuba
Kulikov-Gudbranson
Jovanovski-Weaver

i do not want jovo and guds on the same line. guds needs to play with a mobile, fast, pmd D, and if not with campbell then kulikov would be fine. campbell and kuba sounds fine, kuba essentially just replacing garrison. jovo needs to be on the 3rd, and not with guds, being paired with weaver seems like a nice 3rd pairing. and kulikov and guds, our 2 young stud Dmen together, ones a pmd, the other a defensive D thats physically punishing, they complement each other well and i believe guds will play much better playing with a campbell or kulikov, just keep him away from jovo. yea, he's like a young jovo, but hes older now, hes slow, yes hes a good mentor but that doesnt mean they have to be paired together. being paired with him i believe is one of the biggest reasons why guds rookie season was a little underwhelming imo. gudbranson with kulikov would do great, jovo is fine with weaver.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Shore is playing very well in San Antonio, and he needs to stay there to keep his confidence up and to continue growing his game.

Howden has been better lately, but he definitely needs time to adapt to the Pro game, and the best place for him to do that is with the Rampage.

I REALLY hope Huberdeau gets top 6 minutes and some PP time as the season goes on. The guy can dish the puck like no one on the team, except maybe Campbell. I could see Mueller and Huby having some chemistry on a second line.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
I'll take a stab at this. Assuming Goc and Bergenheim are out for opening night, I have:

Line 1: Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Line 2: Huberdeau-Mueller-Kovalev?
This could be a versatile secondary scoring line for us. I'm basing this off of Huberdeau. I've noticed he plays his best when he has skill with him. In junior, he was at his best with Zach Phillips and Tomas Jurco on his line. Phillips and Mueller are comparable in the fact they can both play center and on the wing. Jurco is a highly skilled winger, a la Alexi Kovalev. I'd try this line out to see if it works.

Line 3: Upshall-Matthias-Kopecky
This is the line taking the largest hit in my opinion. Ideally, I'd like to see Bergenheim-Goc-Kopecky, but with injuries this won't happen. I like Matthias stepping into the 3rd line role, as his size and relative offensive ability are a good combination. Upshall is a versatile player who can play anywhere in the lineup. Could be a solid group.

Line 4: Parros/Smithson- Timmins -Skille
This one is self explanatory, save for Timmins. He's a personal favorite of mine, especially in the 4th line role. I wanted him to get a chance last year. Skille is healthy and can slide into the grinding line. Smithson has his one elite trait, faceoffs, but he's also very defensively responsible. Parros will be a part time player I feel like, but unlike most enforcers he's not a liability.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad