Line Combos: Panthers line combinations

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What do you guys think will be the Panthers line combos to start the season? Where do you Huberdeau in the lineup?

Thanks!

Fleischmann-Weiss-Versteeg
Upshall-Huberdeau-Mueller
Kopecky-Santorelli-Svatos
Skille-Smithson-Parros

Kuba-Cambell
Kulikov-Weaver
Jovanovski-Gudbranson
Ellerby

That's assuming Goc, Bergenheim, and Matthias are out.

CoolburnIsGone

Skille-Smithson-Parros

Kuba-Cambell
Kulikov-Weaver
Jovanovski-Gudbranson
Ellerby

This looks like the most likely lines to start the season. The only possibility is that if Svatos doesnt do enough to earn a contract, a player like Rheault may be recalled from San Antonio for a few weeks. I believe Goc is closest to returning but cant be certain of that without more concrete info (I just recalled he was gonna be out about 4 weeks which was reported back in Dec). When he returns, he pushes Santorelli to the RW on that 3rd line so Goc is centering the 3rd line.

I also think Gudbranson could start the season in the minors to continue rehabbing the shoulder. Which would mean Strachan would be with the big club for a time.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Skille-Smithson-Parros

Kuba-Cambell
Kulikov-Weaver
Jovanovski-Gudbranson
Ellerby

Huberdeau will not play center.

The 3rd-line looks ugly. Don't think those guys will complement one another at all.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This looks like the most likely lines to start the season. The only possibility is that if Svatos doesnt do enough to earn a contract, a player like Rheault may be recalled from San Antonio for a few weeks. I believe Goc is closest to returning but cant be certain of that without more concrete info (I just recalled he was gonna be out about 4 weeks which was reported back in Dec). When he returns, he pushes Santorelli to the RW on that 3rd line so Goc is centering the 3rd line.

I also think Gudbranson could start the season in the minors to continue rehabbing the shoulder. Which would mean Strachan would be with the big club for a time.

Goc is closer than Bergy? Really? The 4 weeks ends for Goc in late January, then he'll need a few days of skating before he's ready to go. Do you know what's going on with Bergy right now?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Huberdeau will not play center.

The 3rd-line looks ugly. Don't think those guys will complement one another at all.

Who's going to play center then?

Of course it looks ugly, we have 3 forwards out.

I would suspect that they would try to go with Mueller at center seeing as how he's played the position before if Svatos and/or Kovalev pan out at their try-out.

Mueller is bad at center. Huberdeau is a natural playmaker, I don't understand the opposition to him playing center.

Sounds like a Shore situation to me. I know he's better off getting first line minutes in the AHL, but with the injuries we have I think Panther management would be ok with him up with the Panthers for a little while at least.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
with the injuries, potentially:

Huberdeau-Mueller-Kostitsyn
Upshall-Kopecky-Kovalev
Parros-Smithson-Skille/Svatos

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Mueller is bad at center. Huberdeau is a natural playmaker, I don't understand the opposition to him playing center.

Wasn't trying to say Huberdeau shouldn't play center but I don't think they're bringing back Santorelli, and Mueller would only be temporary at center until Goc or Matthias come back from injury which won't be very long from now, probably 3 weeks at the most for Goc.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Wasn't trying to say Huberdeau shouldn't play center but I don't think they're bringing back Santorelli, and Mueller would only be temporary at center until Goc or Matthias come back from injury which won't be very long from now, probably 3 weeks at the most for Goc.

Well Huby would be better at center than Mueller. Avs and Phx fans have already told us Mueller is bad at center. He was a center in junior but he's a shooter, not a playmaker.

Santorelli is already signed, this is his last year.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i just dont wanna do anything that can harm huberdeau's development, he plays like a center but hes been playing lw, id rather keep him there. mueller has played center before and it would only be for a little bit.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
i just dont wanna do anything that can harm huberdeau's development, he plays like a center but hes been playing lw, id rather keep him there. mueller has played center before and it would only be for a little bit.

What harm can it do? It would be more harmful if he played wing and constantly got smashed along the boards. He's a toothpick.

CoolburnIsGone

What harm can it do? It would be more harmful if he played wing and constantly got smashed along the boards. He's a toothpick.
Yeah I agree with MR here. Huberdeau may be better off playing this season at center for a time until everyone returns healthy and then figure out where we are. Its not like we are planning for him to stay there long term. Heck I could see Goc playing center with Huby on the LW and Mueller on the RW once Goc returns. Its just a temporary measure people, relax.:shakehead

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Well Huby would be better at center than Mueller. Avs and Phx fans have already told us Mueller is bad at center. He was a center in junior but he's a shooter, not a playmaker.

Santorelli is already signed, this is his last year.

Like I said it would be temporary, and did they not play Kopecky, last season, in a position he wasn't very good at for a few weeks until they got their lineup figured out.

Santorelli was also waived after the 11-12 season ended. I'm sure he'll be given a chance at camp but considering he only lasted two weeks in Sweden I wouldn't bet on him making the team.

CoolburnIsGone

Like I said it would be temporary, and did they not play Kopecky, last season, in a position he wasn't very good at for a few weeks until they got their lineup figured out.

Santorelli was also waived after the 11-12 season ended. I'm sure he'll be given a chance at camp but considering he only lasted two weeks in Sweden I wouldn't bet on him making the team.
But based on comments by Tallon & Dineen, they seem to indicate that they would like to see Mueller, Huberdeau & Upshall on a line together. Obviously that could change with training camp and a few invitees but I'm not sure about that changing much except replacing Upshall on the wing.

Santorelli will probably make the team for now due to the injuries. He probably will be given away at some point for a draft pick or another player for the AHL.

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
But based on comments by Tallon & Dineen, they seem to indicate that they would like to see Mueller, Huberdeau & Upshall on a line together. Obviously that could change with training camp and a few invitees but I'm not sure about that changing much except replacing Upshall on the wing.

Santorelli will probably make the team for now due to the injuries. He probably will be given away at some point for a draft pick or another player for the AHL.

Were those comments made before or after Goc, Bergy, and Matthias got injured? On a healthy Panthers team that line would make sense, but they're having to compensate for those three injured players.

As far as Sanotrelli, I guess it'r really going to depend on whether or not he can out-perform Kostytsin, Kovalev, and Svatos.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i dont think goc will be out long anyway, so if they wanna try huberdeau at center, and he seems to look pretty good there in camp, then go for it, though when goc heals up i still have Huberdeau-Goc-Mueller as the 2nd, so if its just temporary then it probably wont hurt anything. personally, i want us to sign kostitsyn, as long as he performs in training camp. and in the possible event we get luongo, upshall could be a player going the other way, and if so he'd help fill that void. and for the record, if we do try huberdeau at center i hope it works, he plays like a center with his vision and passing abilities. thatd be great if he became a full time center! then, when everyones healthy, we could potentially run:

Kostitsyn-Huberdeau-Mueller
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall/Kopecky (upshall if he stays, kopecky if he gets traded)
Skille/Kovalev-Smithson-Parros

CoolburnIsGone

Were those comments made before or after Goc, Bergy, and Matthias got injured? On a healthy Panthers team that line would make sense, but they're having to compensate for those three injured players.

As far as Sanotrelli, I guess it'r really going to depend on whether or not he can out-perform Kostytsin, Kovalev, and Svatos.
It was probably repeated both before the lockout and during the lockout. In terms of actual timing of when each was injured, I'm not positive but I think Bergy was hurt last so I think he was said prior to him being injured. But I think it was repeated after Goc was reportedly hurt and I'm sure it was before Matthias but I dont think he was ever expected to be on the 2nd line anyway.

Those guys are all wingers while Santorelli has mostly been a center. So if any of those 3 make the roster, I think it will have less impact on Santorelli staying on the roster. With the lack of centers right now, he may have gotten a brief reprieve from the press box just to fill a hole temporarily. I see Tallon moving him though as soon as Goc is healthy.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
i dont think goc will be out long anyway, so if they wanna try huberdeau at center, and he seems to look pretty good there in camp, then go for it, though when goc heals up i still have Huberdeau-Goc-Mueller as the 2nd, so if its just temporary then it probably wont hurt anything. personally, i want us to sign kostitsyn, as long as he performs in training camp. and in the possible event we get luongo, upshall could be a player going the other way, and if so he'd help fill that void. and for the record, if we do try huberdeau at center i hope it works, he plays like a center with his vision and passing abilities. thatd be great if he became a full time center! then, when everyones healthy, we could potentially run:

Kostitsyn-Huberdeau-Mueller
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall/Kopecky (upshall if he stays, kopecky if he gets traded)
Skille/Kovalev-Smithson-Parros
Did Huberdeau play center during the last training camp?

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
Those guys are all wingers while Santorelli has mostly been a center. So if any of those 3 make the roster, I think it will have less impact on Santorelli staying on the roster. With the lack of centers right now, he may have gotten a brief reprieve from the press box just to fill a hole temporarily. I see Tallon moving him though as soon as Goc is healthy.

I think it matters even more so because Tallon and the coaching are going to play the best players on the depth chart and as mentioned before guys like Mueller and Kopecky who are natural wingers, can also play center. So if like 2 of the invitees out perform Santorelli chances are he's not going to out perform players of Kopecky's and Mueller's caliber. You also have to take into account too that Santorelli will also have to probably compete against one or two of the Rampage players as well and Shore has had an excellent season thus far. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-Santorelli by any means but I think there are better players on the team despite the injuries. But I do agree that Santorelli will most likely be moved as soon as our centers get healthy again, he probably would've been moved last season had they found a trade partner.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
@howaboutthempanthers

i personally dont recall, i dont believe so, i remember he played wing during the rookie games and i believe he also played wing during the rookie camps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad