Post-Game Talk: Panthers let one slip away as PP goes cold, Bob keeps them in a 2-1 loss to Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Pysyk is going to be a UFA and we need a 7th D. We have no depth after him. He’ll be gone next year anyway. Hardly an issue right now. And he hasn’t been that bad.

we need more from all the middle six guys not named Connolly

looks like the team defense and most importantly, Bob are trending in the right direction.
This! The problem is our offensive depth right now. The top line has been carrying us.

Bob looks to be back in fine form. Yandle is still making way too many stupid plays in his own zone. Like he literally stickhandles the puck and it just leaves his stick and it creates a chance for the opposition. This happens 3-4 times a game now. Totally inexcusable from a vet like him.

But if our first line is shut down (which will happen from time to time), we need other lines to step up. I don't think we have any offense at all from the bottom two lines other than Vatrano's empty netters. This team clearly doesn't rely on those guys to score but they need to contribute sometimes, that is the kind of stuff that gets you to, and helps you win in the playoffs.

Trocheck is a ghost, borderline useless. Defensively he is OK but often bodied off the puck, offensively he is a black hole that either shoots into the glove or loses it along the boards. Gone is the Tro of old. We need more contribution from our second line center. His numbers over his last 79 games played are 14 goals and 34 assists. Not good enough, simple as that.

Our depth was supposed to be our strong point and instead it's becoming more and more of a glaring weakness. Quality depth (and I stress the word "quality") seems to be our biggest issue, both with the forwards and defensemen.

Also, Saarala was fine. At least he has some vision out there to see guys that are open. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back to the AHL but he has been fine. Both him and Malgin contribute about the same....next to nothing.

But last night was simple. Their second line scored 2 goals and ours didn't. The top lines cancelled each other out and Tampa had the depth to pull out a win.

I expect a much better effort Thursday against the Isles.

Last edited:

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
I think that the current 4th line hasn't been as effective as it was at the beginning of the season (Hunt-Acciari-Sceviour) so maybe Q should come back to that.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Need a 6-7 game win streak soon to even stay in the race

2 points from dropping to 12th in conference
I mean Florida will at worst be 1 point back with 2 games in hand on Thursday, granted games in hand are only in hand if you win them, and Islanders Bruins is a tough schedule, but at least Bob looks great. And at least with the Islanders you know Florida will get lots of chances/puck time.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah Tro is hurting us right now. He is just basically dead weight, he doesn't make his wingers better, he doesn't really hurt you defensively, and if he does he scores a few points to make up for it. He is not a 2nd line center on a contender. Our 2nd line is basically useless because of him. If it wasn't for Connolly being a boss, we'd have no secondary scoring at all. You don't really expect much offense from Acciari. Vatrano is a little cold right now, but the effort is there, and still, you're not expecting 25-30 goals from him. Tro has to step up, idk he's got to do something. He's one of the top problems with this team.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I do think we should find ourselves a playmaker as a second line center. I like Trocheck but he is one dimensional and streaky.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Ideally, this is what I'd like to see for our forward lines:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Connolly - Malgin - Tippett
Hoffman - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hunt - Acciari - Sceviour
Boyle/Toninato

I honestly think Tippett can help this team right now. It's just unfortunate we can't make it work cap wise.

Reactions: panthersdu67

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
They were dominated though, I'd be more annoyed that a team on the 2nd of a b2b looked twice as good as a fresh team.

Yeah, plus Tampa is a better team, plain and simple. I said it earlier, but they were on a whole different level than us throughout that game. It could have been ugly if not for Bob. If Tampa decides to start playing like that the remainder of the season they will easily lock up at least 2nd in the division. Our best shot will be 3rd, but it will be a tough battle with Toronto especially. We need to start winning head to head divisional games to give ourselves a shot. We're 3-3-1 right now, which isn't horrible, but also won't be a good enough pace come the end of the season.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
They were dominated though, I'd be more annoyed that a team on the 2nd of a b2b looked twice as good as a fresh team.
Both teams were playing their third game in four nights, so idk about either being "fresh", but the Panthers seemed almost lethargic at times. Idk if FL was first to a loose puck all night. Disappointing in that you'd think they would've been more fired up for that game against a division rival that they are trying to stay ahead of in the standings.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
How would Tro look on the wing? He is a great forechecker, still good on the PK and most dangerous when he has some room on odd-man rushes. Takes the pressure and responsibility off

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I'm not too upset about last night other than Tampa seemed to play better as the game went on. We could have easily been up 3 or 4-1 in the first intermission. Vasi made some super human saves point blank in the 1st period.

Bob has been much better past 3 games. That is the most promising sign of all.

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
Trochek has just looked like a place the puck goes to die. I am not really sure what happened to him but he seems totally lost.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He scored 24 goals last year. Not insane to expect at least another 20. If he catches hot (which he usually does) he will likely finish around there again.

There's a good chance last season was a career high. His stats benefitted from Boughners run and gun system. I definitely he can hit 20 again, but what I'm saying is he's not a regular 30 goal guy and shouldn't be looked at like someone such as tro or hoffman.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Nice to see Trocheck as effective as Bjugstad was here towards the end.
Bjugstad's last full season in Florida he scored 19 goals and finished with 49 points in 82, which is actually a higher goal and point total than Vinny over his last 82 games.

Vinny is a pathetic shell of his former self. I would honestly take Bjugstad over Vinny in that role right now. Trocheck is a 3rd line center playing 2nd line center minutes....

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Conman not at practice today. Expecting his injury to be somewhat significant, he looked to be in rough shape going to the bench last night and I don't think he played again after that.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Actually IDGAF about "in game entertainment" My entertainment is good hockey! The music is played for about 30/40 seconds? Just win the game and I will be entertained.

If anything, this need for in game entertainment is weird. When I go to a hockey game, I go to watch hockey! Recent Canucks games I went to, there is far too much "make some noise", "clap your hands" crap these days. I'm sure it wasn't as bad 10 years ago.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Conman not at practice today. Expecting his injury to be somewhat significant, he looked to be in rough shape going to the bench last night and I don't think he played again after that.
I thought he came back afterwards, but from seeing the replay, I wouldn't be surprised if he sprained his ankle. Just hope not severely.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Bjugstad's last full season in Florida he scored 19 goals and finished with 49 points in 82, which is actually a higher goal and point total than Vinny over his last 82 games.

Vinny is a pathetic shell of his former self. I would honestly take Bjugstad over Vinny in that role right now. Trocheck is a 3rd line center playing 2nd line center minutes....

Bjugstad was also more responsible defensively, and better on the boards as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad