Post-Game Talk: Panthers kick off November with their 10 straight win vs Detroit. 22-3 in last 25 in the Motor City

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I highly doubt Ekblad is traded. I don't know why some are entertaining that thought.

Will he be re-signed though? That's a different story.

I really like Aaron Ekblad, but I think the writing is on the wall for his tenure here. I really don't pay attention to the cap, but I think if there's a chance that moving Ekblad would allow the team to keep Reinhart + Forsling + Montour, he gone.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I really like Aaron Ekblad, but I think the writing is on the wall for his tenure here. I really don't pay attention to the cap, but I think if there's a chance that moving Ekblad would allow the team to keep Reinhart + Forsling + Montour, he gone.

Agreed, he never lived up to the #1 pick outside a couple years.
There should be at least 4-5 GMs that would take a 1 yr flyer on him for futures and evaluate him for the retirement deal.

He has a 1.5 years to prove his worth, just don't think it'll be Zito doing the evaluation.

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Agreed, he never lived up to the #1 pick outside a couple years.
There should be at least 4-5 GMs that would take a 1 yr flyer on him for futures and evaluate him for the retirement deal.

He has a 1.5 years to prove his worth, just don't think it'll be Zito doing the evaluation.

He's not a Zito guy or pick, so I can see him not being too partial on him. How much value would he even have in a trade given his injury history and cap?

I'm also not as soured on the guy as others. Dude is a warrior playing with a broken foot all playoffs. I'd like to see him thrive here and I think its more likely he stays than Reinhart. Reino is going to command a huge payday if he keeps up this pace.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's not a Zito guy or pick, so I can see him not being too partial on him. How much value would he even have in a trade given his injury history and cap?

I'm also not as soured on the guy as others. Dude is a warrior playing with a broken foot all playoffs. I'd like to see him thrive here and I think its more likely he stays than Reinhart. Reino is going to command a huge payday if he keeps up this pace.

A lot would depend on how he does this season.

Vancouver comes to mind.
I've said Dallas for months. They've been in desperate need for offensive minded D for a while now since Klingberg left.
They have some money coming off books on defense as well.

Screenshot_20231103_110645_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231103_110654_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nils Lundkvist isn't the answer so far.

They have solid D prospects growing a very defensive minded system.
I'd go hard after Thomas Harley as main piece.

It's a decent free agent defensemen market as well to find a defensive minded #4 on right side behind Montour and allows us to promote a prospect like Kinnunen/Benning etc next year.

Maybe re-sign OEL with bonus incentives if he keeps playing well and understands his role as a #4/5 guy.

Reactions: Laus723

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not as excited as some about the idea of buying out Bob, even if that is what is needed to keep all of Montour, Forsling and Reinhart, and just life post-Bob in general. I think Knight is good, bit he's still just magic beans at this point. I hope Zito focuses more on dealing Ekblad with retention.
Bob is also 35. I'm hoping he'll give us a great year and postseason, but not expecting much after that point.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think once Bob goes to the 16 team NTC, he can definitely be moved if the Panthers retain a good chunk. TBH, I think it might even be possible to move him without retaining 50%. The state of goaltending in the NHL right now is not good, and Bob has had a strong start after a dominant playoff performance. If he maintains this level of play for the majority of the season and has another strong playoff performance, there WILL be takers.

The problem is that we really have nothing behind him. Spencer Knight's development was derailed enough that I'm a little concerned.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think once Bob goes to the 16 team NTC, he can definitely be moved if the Panthers retain a good chunk. TBH, I think it might even be possible to move him without retaining 50%. The state of goaltending in the NHL right now is not good, and Bob has had a strong start after a dominant playoff performance. If he maintains this level of play for the majority of the season and has another strong playoff performance, there WILL be takers.

The problem is that we really have nothing behind him. Spencer Knight's development was derailed enough that I'm a little concerned.
I think this year in the A will be very telling. Spencer is still an A tier goalie prospect

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Bob getting moved one way or another before his contract expires is contingent on bunch of what-ifs. If Zito and his pro scouts can't find a 1B goalie á la Adin Hill then getting rid off Bob solves nothing for the Panthers since Bob is still at least good enough for any given playoff run.

I'm expecting Bob getting traded during the off-season in 2025 because in 2025-26 they have know whether Knight can handle a ~60 game schedule.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Bob getting moved one way or another before his contract expires is contingent on bunch of what-ifs. If Zito and his pro scouts can't find a 1B goalie á la Adin Hill then getting rid off Bob solves nothing for the Panthers since Bob is still at least good enough for any given playoff run.

I'm expecting Bob getting traded during the off-season in 2025 because in 2025-26 they have know whether Knight can handle a ~60 game schedule.
This is another reason Knight benefits from a full year as starter in the AHL and hopefully playoff run.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Like you said, a bunch of what-ifs, so in addition to what you say, what if by 2025-2026 Bob is willing to not be #1, then he might stay… otherwise Bob might himself choose to go.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
A lot would depend on how he does this season.

Vancouver comes to mind.
I've said Dallas for months. They've been in desperate need for offensive minded D for a while now since Klingberg left.
They have some money coming off books on defense as well.

View attachment 762398View attachment 762399

Nils Lundkvist isn't the answer so far.

They have solid D prospects growing a very defensive minded system.
I'd go hard after Thomas Harley as main piece.

It's a decent free agent defensemen market as well to find a defensive minded #4 on right side behind Montour and allows us to promote a prospect like Kinnunen/Benning etc next year.

Maybe re-sign OEL with bonus incentives if he keeps playing well and understands his role as a #4/5 guy.

Dallas dont need an offensive D, they have Heiskanen who was nearly point per game last season while carrying the corpse of Ryan Suter with him on 5v5.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dallas dont need an offensive D, they have Heiskanen who was nearly point per game last season while carrying the corpse of Ryan Suter with him on 5v5.

Miro did get 73pts
Next closest defenseman was Suter with 25 pts last year.
Ekblad being a 10 goal, 40pt defenseman definitely helps them. One of Miro and Ekblad on their own pairing. He could focus on offense more in a heavily defensive unit.

Screenshot_20231103_174204_Samsung Internet.jpg

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023

Enter guzda, waeber, glifford, muszelik and gerasimyuk. I have a feeling waeber and guzda are seen as the contingency plan if Bob falls off a cliff or is traded and Knight is no longer seen as a future starter. Waeber has yet to look bad and guzda looks like he may be a backup one day. Zito was smart to not put all of his goaltending eggs in the Knight basket. He stockpiles at all positions, unlike any Panthers GM I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad