Post-Game Talk: Panthers kick off November with their 10 straight win vs Detroit. 22-3 in last 25 in the Motor City

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
It just keeps getting worse for San Jose. They're on a power play and it looks like it's actually Vancouver that has the advantage. I don't know that this team can win 10 games.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
10 straight wins vs DET
Nice quiet but effective shutout win for Bob.
Lundell gets something on the stat sheet
Bottom 6 goal from Lorentz
Mikkola 3 game point streak.

A chance to go 6-3-1 to start the year vs CHI on Saturday. Do we start Stolarz to keep Bob ready for CBJ?
Yes, definitely start Stolarz vs weak Chicago.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Could not be happier for Lorentz, much deserved.
Although not showing up on the score sheet, Barky was an absolute monster tonight! Delight to watch!
Forsling and Mikkola with stellar performances on the backend and especially on the PK.
Liked Lundell and his combo with Luosto and Cousins. They got some skill and created plenty of turnovers.
The real Bob showed up last night, rock solid game.
I really like OEL's calm composed play, great stick checks at key moments.

We lack a trigger man on the PP. Waiting for Monty and Ek to be back. The shots of the current players are too weak and they are too hesitant.

RJMA

Feb 15, 2023
Not as excited as some about the idea of buying out Bob, even if that is what is needed to keep all of Montour, Forsling and Reinhart, and just life post-Bob in general. I think Knight is good, bit he's still just magic beans at this point. I hope Zito focuses more on dealing Ekblad with retention.

Reactions: MaWa

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
He isn't as physical but skates so much better, and has some extra offensive skills.

My surprise is that he is quite good in front of the net on blocking shots and boxing attackers out.

Your surprise ? That’s the guy’s bread and butter, the real reason Zito signed him.

The untapped potential and him showing it early is just gravy on top of everything !

Loved Mikkola signing, and will love it for three years IMO.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Yeah I was really excited about the Mikkola signing, it was sneaky good. Was more wary about how well OEL would do, but he's exceeded my expectations by a mile, he's still a legit top-4 and borderline top pair guy. So...how much should we pay him?

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Gotta say I love what Lorentz brings… Seems like high-energy, high-character, great-attitude, funny guy, all about the team… Can play C in a pinch, big body, some offensive tools, great on the boards, great effort…

I was « meh » about that trade first. Seeing it as Lorentz + Rodrigues made it great… Now that I’ve seen more of Lorentz, it could even be awesome !

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not as excited as some about the idea of buying out Bob, even if that is what is needed to keep all of Montour, Forsling and Reinhart, and just life post-Bob in general. I think Knight is good, bit he's still just magic beans at this point. I hope Zito focuses more on dealing Ekblad with retention.

It's mainly up to Bob anyhow, he has a 16 team no trade list and $1.5 mil signing bonus due July 1st, 2024. After that he's owed $5 mil in salary for 24-25.
He has a $1 mil bonus in July 2025 and owed $5 mil in salary for final year.

I think we'd have to retain about 40-45% of Bob's deal after that July 1st 2024 bonus and less than $11 million owed for 2 seasons isn't crazy with a $5.5 to 6 mil caphit. Only sticking point is he will be 36 in September 2024.

And of those 16 teams he'd be willing to waive, it may only be 3-4 teams that may take him. I get the hesitation to move him now coming off the Cup run but I think you need to wonder how long his body holds up. If Bob does stay or go, Knight better be ready to play 40ish games next year and closer to 50 in 2025-26.

Ekblad has a 12 team no trade list and a $3 mil signing bonus due July 1st, 2024, only owed $4 mil in salary after that date, that's insane value even with a $7.5 mil cap hit.
One would think we take some salary back on expiring deal or player we could re-sign at cheaper AAV. Don't think we'd have to retain on Ekblad unless he absolutely shits the bed for the next 50ish games and playoffs.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
After the 1st 2? or 3 games of the year Mikkola has been phenomenal. Doing Gudas things at 1/3 the price.

He certainly doesn't have the same nasty physical element (despite being physical), but frankly, I think he's just straight up better as a hockey player.

Small sample size, but the Panthers have played some teams with serious offensive firepower in the first month.

Anyone else kind of thinking Stenlund can sit and let Lockwood stay in for a bit, he's been more noticeable in his few games. Call up Wise/Sourdif/Samo for a game?

With the second line in a scoring drought, I don't see how you can send down Stenlund, who has been a big factor in the bottom six scoring.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He certainly doesn't have the same nasty physical element (despite being physical), but frankly, I think he's just straight up better as a hockey player.

Small sample size, but the Panthers have played some teams with serious offensive firepower in the first month.

With the second line in a scoring drought, I don't see how you can send down Stenlund, who has been a big factor in the bottom six scoring.

Not sure I agree, not going just off fancy charts but he's had maybe or two decent games IMO. The rest have been kinda bad?

F9-TKfNXcAAPE9x.jpeg.jpgF978DMRa0AE0x4s.jpeg.jpg

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Rodrigues
Tkachuk-Luostarinen-prospect
Lomberg-Lundell- Reino
Lockwood-Lorentz-Cousins

Maybe give Lundell a scoring threat with Reinhart again, prospect could benefit from Tkachuk and Luostarinen insulating them?

We got CHI and CBJ next two games.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Sasha was great it’s too bad he didn’t try to score on that one play.

Barkov has looked aggressive and dangerous in the last 2 games. Also, I think the weight loss has helped, he looks FAST. I genuinely hope this is the start of a trend.

I know that nobody thinks a 29 year old player is going to suddenly see an evolutionary change in his game, but I think the potential is there, and we just saw it.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida

I think theyre both physical but in different ways, gudas delivered the pain train, but Mikkola just straight up uses his size/presence to win battles.

Small sample size but i think hes better defensively, but gudas had a nice shot from out far

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad