McKenzie: Panthers, Hurricanes, Flames, and Jets interested in Alec Martinez (asking price is 2nd + prospect)

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
If its only 25% i wouldn't want the 2nd being this year, i don't even want to give up this 2nd because i would also be aiming to trade the 1st for a better/more of a need player like a top 6 rhs rw, if you want this years 2nd i want 50 %, if you want less than 50% i want the 3rd lowered

How about AMart (25%) and Toffoli (rhs rw, 50%) for your 1st this year, and your 2nd next year + a decent prospect?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Did Blake wait too long to trade this guy?

Last year's trade deadline is the earliest that he would've been traded, and the expected return at the time wasn't much more than it is now, I think. Now, if someone doesn't bite and Blake has to settle for less than he's asking, then we might end up saying that the waiting hurt. Then again, I don't think that anyone could've guessed that he'd be this unproductive this season, so it's not like this could've been predicted, IMO.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not that Martinez is a target i would go for, but not gonna lie...not seeing the Leafs listed in a thread about a RSD is a little perplexing...lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Godstin Matthews

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Martinez will be a good pickup for any playoff team. He comes through in high pressure games like Williams.
He has been playing on the 1st pairing a lot this year but would good on the 2nd pair. If hes on your 3rd pair youve got the defense depth to go on a good run.
I think its telling that we rip on pretty much every player in the Kings forum but Martinez has never been a whipping boy.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want the Jets to sign Hamonic at a low cost come the off-season. Good role-model and would likely take a hometown discount.

Could see Martinez going to Florida though.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Tallon has to be pretty desperate right now, and it's well known by now he's been looking for a LHD. I'd be surprised if Martinez doesn't end up in Florida.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If the ask is reasonable and Williams thinks he would bolster the Canes Defense then there no reason why Carolina shouldn't be all over this. They’d have the advantage here being an eastern team vs the other bidders

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He's a good 3-4. If you had Marty as a 5-6 then your team is stacked for the playoffs. The price is very fair and reasonable. The reason is probably to attract a lot of teams' interest and get a bid going. At that price, they will likely have a few suitors and might cause a scenario where the price gets pushed up a little bit. Obviously, if a team wants Marty, who is already on a sweetheart deal, at 50% retention, then the price will easily bump to a first because he can likely easily be traded for the 2nd+ as is...

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Not interested in buying. Outside of any blockbusters, there’s no deadline acquisition that will make the Jets strong enough contenders to win the West.

I’d rather take my chances with what we have, and retool in the summer. No sense wasting assets now.

So no interest in Petry ?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Of course Martinez also plays the Right side. The question is will the Jets make the playoffs with their current D. If chances are not, a 2nd and decent prospect shouldn't hold them back.

But is he really going to change the fate of the Jets much this season? Only acquisitions should be about the next few years (not just this spring). Trade Deadline is a pricey time to go shopping. Jets likely get much better value in the summer via UFA or trade.

Winnipeg still has a shot at a WC spot but could also easily miss.
Therefore management should be very cautious.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If that’s all it takes then Florida needs to make this move ASAP. They need a change in a BIG way. They’re playing so awful right now and losing ground fast.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’ll puke if we give a 2nd and a prospect for Martinez. Not like we can draft anyway, but still.

Dudes a borderline 4/5 Dman.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I feel like Martinez and Toffoli both end up in Carolina for something around one of their 1sts and a prospect.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Who would even go the other way in a potential trade with Calgary? They're tight up against the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad