McKenzie: Panthers, Hurricanes, Flames, and Jets interested in Alec Martinez (asking price is 2nd + prospect)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgary going to shore up their defense and miss the playoffs anyway because they can’t score anyway...

Ducking tired of brad’s patchwork.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If they retain, with the lack of supply and demand for top fours, they better get a first.

Well, that doesn't address the "hamstrung" concern of the original poster but thanks for your input. I doubt any team gives up a 1st (even retained) for a bottom pairing D who is closing in on 33 years old.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Well, that doesn't address the "hamstrung" concern of the original poster but thanks for your input. I doubt any team gives up a 1st (even retained) for a bottom pairing D who is closing in on 33 years old.
But there is no need unless it ups his value and return. LA can do it but they don’t have to do it at all.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I really hope the Jets don't do this. Bad side of 30 and we really shouldn't be buying. We should be playing the "ride it out for the year" and see if they make the playoffs anyways game. Especially after giving away 1sts for the last couple years for rentals (although we got last year's back). If he was 26 or so I'd they should be interested but I don't think they should be looking to buy right now.

Also, he's a lefty so I'm not sure that's what they need in a D-man right now.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I agree with that but I think a 1st is a pipe dream for him at this point.
Probably, but he is solid and has a bit of term. Depends on what else teams are running down. Could see a late range first. Dumba should be a major target if available.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Not a bad offer. Too much retain though. Max at 25%. Reverse the years, aka 2nd in 20 and 3rd in 21 and you have a deal.

If its only 25% i wouldn't want the 2nd being this year, i don't even want to give up this 2nd because i would also be aiming to trade the 1st for a better/more of a need player like a top 6 rhs rw, if you want this years 2nd i want 50 %, if you want less than 50% i want the 3rd lowered

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can see retention upping the value of the prospect (as opposed to upping the value of the pick). Retaining 50% might get LA a good prospect instead of a dime-a-dozen one. For example, maybe a team has a defenseman prospect that could be NHL ready next season, but may be crowded out, especially if a defenseman is acquired. Having Martinez at only $2M AAV next season could be incentive to give him up. That would be beneficial to LA because they could really use D prospects that are close to NHL ready, not years away.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I really hope the Jets don't do this. Bad side of 30 and we really shouldn't be buying. We should be playing the "ride it out for the year" and see if they make the playoffs anyways game. Especially after giving away 1sts for the last couple years for rentals (although we got last year's back). If he was 26 or so I'd they should be interested but I don't think they should be looking to buy right now.

Lol you guys just extended Maurice. It doesn't matter what they do from here on out.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

Of course Martinez also plays the Right side. The question is will the Jets make the playoffs with their current D. If chances are not, a 2nd and decent prospect shouldn't hold them back.

Reactions: irunthepeg

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Friedman had Martinez commanding 2-2nds and a prospect...
If Marty is be shipped out with 50% retention then I’d ask/expect a second + Gauthier.. or
2nd + Vesalainen.. but make no doubt, he is worth 2 - 2nds

Reactions: apadilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad