Pre-Game Talk: Panthers @ Avs | Tuesday, October 21st, 7pm MT | Home Sweet Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Lots of teams, if not most of the teams, have talent that miss the playoffs. Some consistently. They are just poorly constructed or injured, whatever.

Saying the Avs could be above .500 with a bounce here and a bounce there is ignoring that they could be pointless under the same circumstances. Rarely do these things not balance out over a few games, but at least it gives some hope this is just a bad stretch lasting a bit longer than it normally should.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Eichel is electric. I've never seen anyone that's as electric as him in a BU uniform. God, I wish I was still a BU student so I could see him play.

Yeah, as good as McDavid is... I just like Eichel more, not sure what it is. Something about the way he plays. I think he had 2G and 2A in his first game at BU. He's gonna be something else.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Roy said he's not calling anyone up before Winchester is ready, who is a week away he says.

Unleash the Cliche! (For another week)

Is Cliche still the worst forward on the team or has McLeod taken the lead in the race for that title? Either way, it has to be close.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Is Cliche still the worst forward on the team or has McLeod taken the lead in the race for that title? Either way, it has to be close.

Mcleod is still better. The fourth line gets stuck in the defensive zone a lot and that negates his strengths. For a defensive center Cliche sure isn't very good at defense.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Eichel is electric. I've never seen anyone that's as electric as him in a BU uniform. God, I wish I was still a BU student so I could see him play.

BU has never had anyone as electric/uniquely talented, though the choices of Amonte and Tkachuk were certainly excellent players and raw talent is no guarantee.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mcleod is still better. The fourth line gets stuck in the defensive zone a lot and that negates his strengths. For a defensive center Cliche sure isn't very good at defense.

Cliche also isn't going to help keep Iginla and Landy from having to drop the gloves and risking injury, and being off the ice for 5 minutes. I think it's over stated that McLeod doesn't win many fights. He doesn't have to, he just has to answer the bell, and he does.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I pray that the avs win tonight or the panic will get even greater. As much as I would love McDavid or Eichel I wouldn't want this team to suffer so much through a season that is that bad to get either one of them. I still have hope but I do realize that they can't keep playing this bad in the west and expect to make the playoffs.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Roy needs to stick to MacK at center. I hope that he gets another chance at center tonight. Just because he isn't look good at center for one period then moving him to the wing for the rest of the game isn't helping in his development. If the plan is to have him at center in the long term then Roy must let MacK go through some growing pains.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It sure would be nice to break out for some goals tonight, but I'll just settle for a win at this point. Preferably one that doesn't involve a last second GWG.

Disappointed that Redmond still can't get in the lineup but at least lead foot Guenin is out. Wilson looked decent when he was in.

A Shiny Zubat

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
Darmstadt
Sweet jebus tickets are cheap on Stub Hub tonight. Scored 2nd row for 55$! I prefer around row 10 but I didn't pick the Panthers in my package so I'll impulse buy these.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Another response besides all of the others...

McLeod is a winger, Cliche is a center who can't win a face-off to save his life.

IMO Cliche has a much bigger impact when it comes to the on ice suckage.

I personally think McLeod goes as his center goes. When you have someone like Mitchell who can control the play and really crash and bang, then McLeods simple game is perfect. However if his center is not driving possession or winning face-offs McLeod looks useless. McLeod is not going to do those things himself, hes a wrecking ball, and has about the same level of hockey IQ.

Edit : Call me crazy, but if Tanguay still does not work on Duchy's line, I'd much rather see a McLeod - Mitchell - Briere third line. At least McLeod can separate someone from the puck. Not that it's going to happen...

I really hope Tanguay does not continue to cement himself as this years Parenteau, the forward who has no place on the team if he can't hang with the top 6.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Another response besides all of the others...

McLeod is a winger, Cliche is a center who can't win a face-off to save his life.

IMO Cliche has a much bigger impact when it comes to the on ice suckage.

I personally think McLeod goes as his center goes. When you have someone like Mitchell who can control the play and really crash and bang, then McLeods simple game is perfect. However if his center is not driving possession or winning face-offs McLeod looks useless. McLeod is not going to do those things himself, hes a wrecking ball, and has about the same level of hockey IQ.

Can anyone on our team win a faceoff? Malhotra won almost all the faceoffs last game lol

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Can anyone on our team win a faceoff? Malhotra won almost all the faceoffs last game lol

Malhotra does that to everyone because he's a freakin beast. Habs made one of the best free agent signings this summer by bringing him in.

We do suck on faceoffs though. O'Reilly has been our best faceoff guy and he's only at 48%. He has won 9/15 faceoffs on the PK, which is pretty good. Hopefully Mitchell and Winchester can really help us there and I think they will.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah that's been an area of frustration, especially with how good O'Reilly and Duchene have been in past years. However I do think MacKinnon is improving in that area.

I also think the nerves are effecting that area as well. Having MacKinnon be inconsistent in the dot is one thing, having MacKinnon AND Cliche is another...

Edit : I think you can shelter one center that struggles in the face-off dot, but two does too much damage IMO. If there is one thing a 3rd and 4th line center need to be able to do, it's win face-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad