Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4 @ Blackhawks 3 OT - 4/29 * 8pm EST - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
That's one of my issues with Denisenko on the top line. He defers too much. Doesn't look like he has the confidence or the stamina to play in the top 6 right now.

Duclair is a master playmaker. The second best passer and puckhandler on the team after Barkov.

Closer quarter battles in front of the net are just as much on the D as the goalie. It's the goalies job to make the initial save and not cough up too juicy of a rebound. After that, it's the D's job to clear the crease and get the puck out of dangerous areas.

I'll say the exact same thing that I said before: Gudas is a very good bottom pair defenseman. He gets dummied because he isn't good enough to be the defensive rock 3D that we're asking him to be. And Yandle absolutely has a lot to do with it. Yandle can't be trusted to make any plays in front of his own net, so any small error on Gudas' part becomes extremely dangerous if the play ends up with the puck in the slot.

Montour is a bottom pair d-man. He has not brought the offense as promised, and he's just as much of a roamer as Weegar and Forsling are, but he doesn't recover as consistently as they do.

I don't know if Nutivaara looks good because of Montour, or Nutivaara looks good because he's being played on the LD. I suspect the latter, but we don't have a large enough sample size.

Duke gets the puck into the o-zone at a good success ratio because he has to wheels to do it but that doesn't make him master playmaker. He spots the obvious passing lanes and gets the attention of opposing players which enables further plays to develop but if there's e.g. a dman making a move while Duke has the puck, he usually won't see him. Duke is relies on scoring from transitions and not by being able to recognize plays to develop in the o-zone.

Denisenko defers because that's called being a 20yo rookie but he probably should be a regular roster player for the next season considering all other options. That's also why I don't mind Knight getting a few games here so that he gets a taste of the business.

Gudas has not solely played with Yandle: he's played with Stralman and Nutivaara also thus far and that doesn't change the fact that he's been pretty bad for the past month at least. As soon as Zito manages to clear that books from Yandle's and Stralman's contracts, Gudas is the next one in the checklist because he's sliding into the "bad"-sector. Montour on the other hand doesn't have that problem because he's got the endurance to battle for the puck so Zito has to decide whether he's going to sign him because Q has given him 20mins TOI on average which is a whole lot more than what Gudas has gotten.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Fs in the chat

I could rewrite one sentence as

“Rooting for Known Agenda in the KY derby”

And apply it to the panthers....in which case I’m always rooting against the known agenda in the KY derby on game day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad