Post-Game Talk: Panthers 4 @ Blackhawks 3 OT - 4/29 * 8pm EST - v 4.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
When was this?

Not that it matters much anyway considering Knight’s potential is way better than Montembeault’s.

iirc Monty posted good numbers during his first games in the 2018-19 season and folks thought that he's the Cats future starter... didn't exactly pan out like that.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Problem is I’m fine overlooking Yandles defensive lapses, he is an “offensive dman,” after all. But he has been putrid in the Ozone too soooo

He’s been really bad. I overlooked the fact that he was below average defensively, because he was pretty good in the O zone and a smart passer. But now, he’s just putrid. He looks like he’s barely moving. I mean, if you don’t have it anymore, just hang it up.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
@Jean Luc Discard
Some hot takes, dude

Denisenko and Heponiemi provide much needed creativity for the top6. Q should use Heponiemi instead of Hubs on that 1PP group but we all know that Q doesn't really want to improve that unit. Deni's style of play suits well with how Barkov plays.

Denisenko barely did anything on that top line, and Hepo's play was marked by intelligent, active defense. I didn't see him make any overly impressive plays with the puck. Taking Huberdeau off the PP1 in favor of Hepo is a new level of blind hatred.

Knight had a good game for a rookie but a bad one at this level. That Gaudette goal summarizes well in which areas he would need to improve the most.

I don't understand how you could have watched Knight and thought he played poorly. What exactly what he supposed to do on that Gaudette goal? He made the initial save, but he had no help from Yandle to clear the crease of bodies/the puck.

Montour looks good. He does make some mistakes once in a while but he can get the puck out of the d-zone and can create offense. Zito should give him a three year deal.

I don't like Montour. He's completely all over the place. A serviceable bottom pair guy, but he isn't smart enough to earn a multi-year deal from us. I'd rather bring in Gostisbehere and his remaining 4.5m x 2y.

Hopefully Zito can get rid off Yandle, Stralman and Gudas in the next off-season.

Since when did Gudas find himself into your pillory? Gudas is a great bottom pair guy making fair money. He has been run into the ground by being asked to play 3D next to Yandle. He's had a few bad games. No reason to want him gone.​

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Is he still representing himself? Hopefully him and zito can come to a reasonable agreement, would definitely like to keep him around for the right price and term
Yep he reps himself.

I listened to the interview and he mentioned he and Zito spoke a lot before signing. Zito was asking about where he was at as a player. He said it was a unique experience because players that have agents don't get to just chat to whomever is trying to sign you.

He also said something about him being used to signing 1 year deals as he was willing to bet on himself, which this deal with Zito he signed was. A one year prove it deal. But this off-season, he did say he is definitely looking at more security.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Some hot takes, dude

It ain't my fault that all of 'em are true.

Denisenko would've gotten a goal in one particular sequence in the 2nd perioud but he instead chose to pass the puck to Duke who we all know can't score. Maybe Deni will smarten up for the next opportunity. Duke garners a lot of attention from the opponents due to his speed but he can't be relied on making plays or, more importantly, capitalizing on scoring opportunities, and thus guys like Deni need to be more selfish.

The Hawks are an opportunistic/counter-attack team which can't establish puck possession because they don't have the personnel for that. But so far, in a span of couple of games looks like Knight might have issues with coping close-quarter battles in front of the net if we're going to keep the same level of standard for Knight as it's for Bob.

Gudas gets dummied plenty of times because he relies on physicality and not smarts. The play which lead to Knight giving up that first goal was actually started by Gudas because he wasn't hard enough on the puck and a simple stick lift by some Hawks player was all it took to take the puck away from Gudas. Gudas had like five blind passes to clear the puck from the d-zone which lead to giveaways to the Hawks. Gudas is getting exhausted for whatever reason and that leads him to play some stupid hockey á la Gudbranson and Yandle's presence has nothing to do with this. The Cats will be in a similar situation with Gudas that they have with Stralman: a vet whose TOI has to managed. Montour is a lot better in this regard because he can gather high TOIs while not playing dumbass hockey in the process. Also Nutivaara has looked a lot better because of Montour even though folks conveniently sweep this under the 'rona-rug.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019

Thanks for posting.

Duke's contribution is sometimes overlooked by many. His stat line, while still pretty good, does not reflect the impact his speed has had regardless where in the lineup he has played. He scares the crap out of opposing D-men, who back off trying not to be embarrassed, creating space for anyone he's playing with.

That said, with any "puck luck" early on in the season, his stat line would be off the charts too.

Absolutely a keeper going forward...do your thing Mr. Z, and lock him into a fair, long term deal.:yo:

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’m on team keep Duke as well. He’s a big contributor beyond the stat line. Love his speed and skill. He makes his line mates better.

i don’t think it’ll be particularly difficult to keep him around either. This is a guy who has bounced around the league forever now and will be looking to stick here. He also seems to really enjoy South Florida. (How could you not? It’s among the most beautiful places to live in the country)

Reactions: Yandover

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
It ain't my fault that all of 'em are true.

Denisenko would've gotten a goal in one particular sequence in the 2nd perioud but he instead chose to pass the puck to Duke who we all know can't score. Maybe Deni will smarten up for the next opportunity. Duke garners a lot of attention from the opponents due to his speed but he can't be relied on making plays or, more importantly, capitalizing on scoring opportunities, and thus guys like Deni need to be more selfish.

The Hawks are an opportunistic/counter-attack team which can't establish puck possession because they don't have the personnel for that. But so far, in a span of couple of games looks like Knight might have issues with coping close-quarter battles in front of the net if we're going to keep the same level of standard for Knight as it's for Bob.

Gudas gets dummied plenty of times because he relies on physicality and not smarts. The play which lead to Knight giving up that first goal was actually started by Gudas because he wasn't hard enough on the puck and a simple stick lift by some Hawks player was all it took to take the puck away from Gudas. Gudas had like five blind passes to clear the puck from the d-zone which lead to giveaways to the Hawks. Gudas is getting exhausted for whatever reason and that leads him to play some stupid hockey á la Gudbranson and Yandle's presence has nothing to do with this. The Cats will be in a similar situation with Gudas that they have with Stralman: a vet whose TOI has to managed. Montour is a lot better in this regard because he can gather high TOIs while not playing dumbass hockey in the process. Also Nutivaara has looked a lot better because of Montour even though folks conveniently sweep this under the 'rona-rug.
That's one of my issues with Denisenko on the top line. He defers too much. Doesn't look like he has the confidence or the stamina to play in the top 6 right now.

Duclair is a master playmaker. The second best passer and puckhandler on the team after Barkov.

Closer quarter battles in front of the net are just as much on the D as the goalie. It's the goalies job to make the initial save and not cough up too juicy of a rebound. After that, it's the D's job to clear the crease and get the puck out of dangerous areas.

I'll say the exact same thing that I said before: Gudas is a very good bottom pair defenseman. He gets dummied because he isn't good enough to be the defensive rock 3D that we're asking him to be. And Yandle absolutely has a lot to do with it. Yandle can't be trusted to make any plays in front of his own net, so any small error on Gudas' part becomes extremely dangerous if the play ends up with the puck in the slot.

Montour is a bottom pair d-man. He has not brought the offense as promised, and he's just as much of a roamer as Weegar and Forsling are, but he doesn't recover as consistently as they do.

I don't know if Nutivaara looks good because of Montour, or Nutivaara looks good because he's being played on the LD. I suspect the latter, but we don't have a large enough sample size.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I like Denisenko's game. Have to keep in mind that he's quite young and super fresh.

Loving OT getting to play with some good players.

Knight has been awesome.

Fun to see a bit of youth injection into the lineup

Reactions: kerrabria
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad