Panthers 2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
What I think too ! :laugh:

But like someone said before... I just want Tallon to think outside of the box a little bit, like he did with Barkov !

And him selecting Zacha or Rantanen is just that !
Tallon wasn't thinking outside the box. It was well known he wanted to get bigger down the middle in the top six, so how could he go with Drouin or Jones?

Tallon's aversion to anything not North American is really based on drafting a player that is not a sure thing. What little he has dabbled in the later rounds has burned him and I think it just reinforces his skewed thinking. He needs to take some chances and I would like nothing better than to see him draft Robin Kovac in the 3rd round if he is still available.

Zacha reminds me of a young Martin Havlat. A guy with all the talent in the world but just had a mean streak that made him a target around the league and eventually being bought out due to injuries and production.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
I'm going to throw around a few names I like at #11...

Pavel Zacha- long time hyped Czech forward had an up and down year in the OHL, but his potential is obvious. Big forward that can play center or wing, currently having a good showing at the U18s. Jagr would be the perfect mentor for this kid (see Voracek in philly)

Nick Merkley- high IQ player that can play center or wing. Very well rounded, can play in any situation. Think he would be a natural fit as he can play up and down the lineup.

Evgeni Svechnikov- the guy I'm hammering the table for. Big forward with an absolute lethal release on his shot. The puck just jumps off his stick. Needs to use his big frame better, but we haven't had a guy that can shoot the puck like him since maybe Bure

Daniel Sprong- speed and hands to burn. A bit of a one-way player right now, but his gifts on the offensive side of the puck are noticeable. Talent wise, he's similar to Josh Ho-Sang last year, and also like Ho-Sang, he's going to be all of the place on team's boards. I'd bank on his talent in round 1.

Zach Werenski- wouldn't be an exciting pick, but he's a damn good hockey player. Had a rough WJC as i though USA misused him, but what he did as a 17 year old dman for Michigan this year can not be understated. Long term you're looking at a top 4, all situation dman. I heard Jack Johnson tossed around as his NHL comparison and i like it. I don't think he'll be on the board at 11, but he has to be considered if he is

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'm going to throw around a few names I like at #11...

Pavel Zacha- long time hyped Czech forward had an up and down year in the OHL, but his potential is obvious. Big forward that can play center or wing, currently having a good showing at the U18s. Jagr would be the perfect mentor for this kid (see Voracek in philly)

Nick Merkley- high IQ player that can play center or wing. Very well rounded, can play in any situation. Think he would be a natural fit as he can play up and down the lineup.

Evgeni Svechnikov- the guy I'm hammering the table for. Big forward with an absolute lethal release on his shot. The puck just jumps off his stick. Needs to use his big frame better, but we haven't had a guy that can shoot the puck like him since maybe Bure

Daniel Sprong- speed and hands to burn. A bit of a one-way player right now, but his gifts on the offensive side of the puck are noticeable. Talent wise, he's similar to Josh Ho-Sang last year, and also like Ho-Sang, he's going to be all of the place on team's boards. I'd bank on his talent in round 1.

Zach Werenski- wouldn't be an exciting pick, but he's a damn good hockey player. Had a rough WJC as i though USA misused him, but what he did as a 17 year old dman for Michigan this year can not be understated. Long term you're looking at a top 4, all situation dman. I heard Jack Johnson tossed around as his NHL comparison and i like it. I don't think he'll be on the board at 11, but he has to be considered if he is

Not in a million years with Uncle Dale at the helm.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Done a lot of reading and watching of these prospects and now I really hope Barzal falls, but I think he is part of a solid top 10 of

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Crouse
Marner
Strome
Rantanan
Werenski
Provorov
Barzal

If any of them fall I hope Tallon takes him but if not ... I am ecstatic that we get to pick Pavel Zacha, the argument can be made that after McEichel he has the most talent in this draft. How great is the story line of Jagr mentoring this kid? If we get Meier or Kocency or someone like that, they are great prospects and I'm not too upset but man...give me one of those 10 or Zacha PLEASE.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Whoever we draft should be developed properly at all costs. No more rushing is needed as long as Dale does some solid work in the offseason with trades/free agency.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
yea i can't see anyone being drafted at 11 coming up immediately. most likely there won't even be room for said player.
barkov came up immediately because he had the size and was already playing against pros so it wasnt that bad. ekblad earned it. bjugstad developed. huberdeau developed with a 1.5yrs in the q, gudbranson had an extra year in the ohl but at his size and how he looked we knew coming up was fine at the time. really only barkov and ekblad made the immediate jump not counting kulikov.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I soiled myself watching that.

It's going to be hard passing on that Konecny kid. Like I said, his combination of speed, shot and a quick release has the potential to be so deadly. The closest person who comes to mind is Rocco Grimaldi (speed, shot, release). Other than him, we have NO ONE like that right now. Also, trying to determine if he can do that in the future against men instead of 16 and 17 year-olds. And on top of that, can he become a top-six forward.

That's the expectation I have of this 11th pick. He must become a top-six winger for us in the future.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Travis also plays with a chip on his shoulder. He also battled a concussion this year i believe. If i had to compare him to what his potential could be if reached i would say a very Parise like potential. So the negatives on this guy is size ( weight ) due to style of game. So theres the risk with that... But yes the kids potential is worth the pick..

My worries with this pick is that we draft someone and they end of like Olesz......
I would rather draft someone that we know will be an nhl player. Yet at the same time can score and not somebody we hope reaches the potential. I find Pavel Zacha to be a complete mystery.. The kid could become a star or he could become a player that never reaches that potential....

I like to make fun of Tallons bias and all his character drafting but in the end it builds a super strong foundation. Konecny and Meier offer scoring speed size grit and you never hear anything about lack of effort with these kids... Konecny is captain as well...

I want that goal scorer we draft to come in with the reputation of an endless worker and not a lazy kid.

gauseka15

Apr 21, 2014
Isle of Man
It's going to be hard passing on that Konecny kid. Like I said, his combination of speed, shot and a quick release has the potential to be so deadly. The closest person who comes to mind is Rocco Grimaldi (speed, shot, release). Other than him, we have NO ONE like that right now. Also, trying to determine if he can do that in the future against men instead of 16 and 17 year-olds. And on top of that, can he become a top-six forward.

That's the expectation I have of this 11th pick. He must become a top-six winger for us in the future.

Statistically speaking(players fro 80's to late 90's), the 11th pick has a 55% chance of becoming a top 6 winger for us and a 3.75% of becoming our first or second best player.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Travis also plays with a chip on his shoulder. He also battled a concussion this year i believe. If i had to compare him to what his potential could be if reached i would say a very Parise like potential. So the negatives on this guy is size ( weight ) due to style of game. So theres the risk with that... But yes the kids potential is worth the pick..

My worries with this pick is that we draft someone and they end of like Olesz......
I would rather draft someone that we know will be an nhl player. Yet at the same time can score and not somebody we hope reaches the potential. I find Pavel Zacha to be a complete mystery.. The kid could become a star or he could become a player that never reaches that potential....

I like to make fun of Tallons bias and all his character drafting but in the end it builds a super strong foundation. Konecny and Meier offer scoring speed size grit and you never hear anything about lack of effort with these kids... Konecny is captain as well...

I want that goal scorer we draft to come in with the reputation of an endless worker and not a lazy kid.

Totally agree. Olesz barely got any exposure to NA before we drafted him and wasn't exactly ready to perfect his game on the small ice. It was a huge, embarrassing failure of a pick. If Meier, Barzal or Konecny are all tireless workers like you say, then I would feel safer with those picks than Zacha or Rantanen.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Totally agree. Olesz barely got any exposure to NA before we drafted him and wasn't exactly ready to perfect his game on the small ice. It was a huge, embarrassing failure of a pick. If Meier, Barzal or Konecny are all tireless workers like you say, then I would feel safer with those picks than Zacha or Rantanen.

Zacha has struggled this year for Sarnia.. But he was an early front runner for a top 5 pick in this draft... and has dropped a bit due to his season. He has picked up lately..
U can count that as having trouble with the north american game or something else...
I actually think Zacha will be an NHL player.. I just really feel strongly about getting someone that's perfect for our team. We are so close.

Also Meier had a goal and an assist in game 6 win for halifax vs moncton playoffs.. Funny thing is he could have had so much more final score was 7-5.... Yah thats the Q for ya... Moncton has Barbashev who i was hoping we would snag with our 2nd rounder last year. Also they have an overager Connor Garland.. Kid looks fantastic... Prolly will go mid-late round 2... If hes sitting there by the time we draft in third round... snag that kid....

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm on the Meier-Konecny train.

Either one I would be happy with. My list would be bigger, but I think they'll be gone before the 11th OA

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I feel like Tallon is going to take someone way off target like he tends to do sometimes, i.e. Barkov, Matheson and Hawrlyuk. No one would've predicted those. Hat's off to whoever predicts Tallon '15 1st rounder or whoever predicts he trades it.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
has anyone heard of tallon hitting any of these kids games this year? i know last year he was seeing them and was spotted in Halifax

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I think I might also come down to who is available when we are on the clock. That could be the ideal time to make a deal that includes that pick. If we keep the pick though, Im going Konecny.

If Konecny or Meier are there, I want him to use the pick.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i'm still higher on meier than konecny. we have a lot of big bodies but none of who play big & skilled. that mix is very attractive imo.
people are comparing konecny to grimaldi but we already have a grimaldi.
nah, i still want meier.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

2dd.jpg

Had to watch a couple times to see when he puts the puck in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad