Panthers 2015 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
2dd.jpg

Had to watch a couple times to see when he puts the puck in.

:laugh: Me too.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Hmm, just heard that Edmonton only owns the rights of McDavid for 2 years then McDavid can walk? is that accurate?

If that's the case if Edmonton flops, I can totally see him walking in 2 years.

Edmonton should just trade him =D.

VerhaegheAintAverage

I'm gonna need Verhaeghe to do Verhaeghe things.
Jul 23, 2009
UK
That's my boy ! Give me Zacha ! What a incredible package !

Don't forget that the kid hits like a truck too !

Love all those kids that are near the 10th or 11th spot...

But Zacha it is for me, please !

:D

My first thought was, "That's Jagr"...

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's my boy ! Give me Zacha ! What a incredible package !

Don't forget that the kid hits like a truck too !

Love all those kids that are near the 10th or 11th spot...

But Zacha it is for me, please !

:D

Zacha won't go below 8th. The kid is just too good.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
People have to remember that in this draft, you will always hear "No way this kid doesn't go top-8 or top-10" for about more than 10 players...

McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Strome
Hanifin
Provorov
Werenski
Crouse
Barzal
Rantanen
Zacha
Meier
Konecny
Connor

Those are the names thrown around for top-10 and they all seem legitimate, and they are !

So we'll have to pick one of the left-overs but it isn't that bad ! It's great, except if you don't like the game of some of the kids on this list... I'm not that high on Hanifin, Werenski or Connor, because they are the ones I've seen the less...

That's 3 kids... Out of that list... So that's 11 kids left, and out of those kids, maybe some won't like picking a defenseman... But they are all incredible building blocks and nearly can't-miss prospect !

EDIT: I'm not putting any of those guys on the same level as McDavid or Eichel... They are the clear-cut 1-2 picks... But after that it will get interesting, because of all the great prospects this year !

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
People have to remember that in this draft, you will always hear "No way this kid doesn't go top-8 or top-10" for about more than 10 players...

McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Strome
Hanifin
Provorov
Werenski
Crouse
Barzal
Rantanen
Zacha
Meier
Konecny
Connor

Those are the names thrown around for top-10 and they all seem legitimate, and they are !

So we'll have to pick one of the left-overs but it isn't that bad ! It's great, except if you don't like the game of some of the kids on this list... I'm not that high on Hanifin, Werenski or Connor, because they are the ones I've seen the less...

That's 3 kids... Out of that list... So that's 11 kids left, and out of those kids, maybe some won't like picking a defenseman... But they are all incredible building blocks and nearly can't-miss prospect !
Connor makes me nervous as he is headed to Michigan as that was a dream of his. What do we do if he gets it in his head he wants to graduate and become a UFA? It's my understanding the NHL will award a supplemental 1st round pick to the team that loses any 1st rounder to UFA through graduation, although I'm really testing my memory here. Still that's going form an 11th to 31st on top of having to wait for development.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Connor makes me nervous as he is headed to Michigan as that was a dream of his. What do we do if he gets it in his head he wants to graduate and become a UFA? It's my understanding the NHL will award a supplemental 1st round pick to the team that loses any 1st rounder to UFA through graduation, although I'm really testing my memory here. Still that's going form an 11th to 31st on top of having to wait for development.

We already have one Michigan grad refusing to sign with us, why add another. :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
if the Sam's from last year were in this draft what spot would they go? Just trying to gauge how good this draft is.
In hindsight, Bennett would still be 3 or 4 as no one knew the reason he couldn't do a pull up was because of an injury. After surgery and missing all this season he is looking real good for the Calgary. Reinhart is still good but I think he falls from 2nd to somewhere between 5-10. He had a very mediocre year since being sent back down from Buffalo.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
We already have one Michigan grad refusing to sign with us, why add another. :laugh:
Yeah, it shows you the thanks Tallon gets for drafting this guy when he probably wouldn't have been drafted at all. On top of that he attends all of our development camps and then says screw you. We will probably get a 3rd out of it if Tallon cannot sign him as that is what happened when we traded the rights to Knight.

Connor has the speed and strength according to the scouting reports as he is working hard in the weight room to bulk up. However, he is more of a distributor according to scouting reports and his highlight goals are a mixture of odd man breaks with him having an open net. He does have soft hands and according to his coach he has gotten very good in the D end this year and now plays on penalty kills. Kind of an enigma as he doesn't possess the sniper skills of Konecny but seems to finish when given the opportunity. Button has him ranked 7th and I respect his opinions. Never say never with Dale's penchant to draft college bound guys + he does have the speed he is looking for.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You could give a jersey to a dead fly in Calgary and he'd look good. Everything they touch is gold apparently.
That's a team that is not afraid to put there young guys in the NHL early if they show promise. They have done well in the draft.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I think there's some risk involved with Zacha. Underperformed this year when you look at his skill set.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I think there's some risk involved with Zacha. Underperformed this year when you look at his skill set.

That's why I think he fall out of top-10 IMO... Lack of production this year compared to his peers !

But Zacha won't be anything less than a physical third-line winger with great speed and crazy shot... And he could be a dominant number 1 centerman down the road !

His floor is high and his ceiling too IMO

He won't bust but he could leave you wanting so much more...

Kind of risk I would take this year !

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

That's why he's the wildcard of this draft. He had a disappointing year, but he has the potential become a star. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him. He's got it all. The total package. He just has to be more disciplined and tone down the monkey business. If he can learn to play with controlled aggression, he's just going to be a tank.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
They got lucky with Brodie and Gaudreau. Other than that they haven't done really anything special.
It's always luck on whose going to make a career in the NHL as an 18 yr old draftee. There have been plenty of busts of "sure things" in the top 10, let alone most that follow is an even bigger crap shoot. Monahan played that extra year in the OHL because of his birthday and was NHL ready when he started out. He is ahead of all his classmates in the goal scoring dept and certainly is the best value pick in that draft so far. It's way too early on Bennett to declare him a shoe in for next season but he hasn't hurt his chances with his performance so far in the playoffs. In either case, it says much about the Flames that they are not afraid to give these guys an NHL chance if they feel they are ready. Same holds true with the diminutive Gaudreau. In contrast, most NHL teams want their guys down in the minors for development.

Waiting in the wings are Emile Poirier down in the AHL, who made the All Star squad in this his rookie season. Coming along is NCAA champion goalie and Frozen Four MVP Jon Gillies from Providence College. Both will probably spend time in the AHL, but I think the Flames are not afraid to give guys a chance who are skilled enough and mature enough to handle the work load.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
In the second tier behind McDavid and Eichel... He is comparable to Hanifin, Strome and Marner IMO.

Don't think Reinhart is in that tier tbh. I liked him a lot in the WJC but he's not THAT special. Barkov would have hard time making 3rd this year and he's got more potential than Reinhart. It's a tough competition and I'd guess he'd go anywhere from 6-12 range.

I'm always in for keeping picks, unless you get an offer you just can't pass. There are still potential star forwards where the Panthers are drafting. Plus the matter of pipeline, which been discussed about before. Tallon isn't great when it comes drafting outside the first round and you can see that from the current pool of forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille