Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Devils 1 OT - '16-17 Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We were lucky to get a point. On the final goal, I thought it was a great play by the Panther defensemen not interference. I thought the young guys did well for their first game ever. Maybe they need to play with better talent. The passing was terrible, especially in the neutral zone. Sure, we can say it's rust or new guys, however, I remember many similar games near the end of last season. That worries me. Can't understand how you get pinned in your own zone for entire period, I really don't.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The passing was particularly miserable. And it makes them look slow.

It looks like in the defensive zone too many players have their eyes on the puck carrier. They end up chasing the play because they are always reacting to what already happened rather than anticipating what's going to happen. To some extent that is the case offensively as well. Guys watch the puck carrier and forget to get open for a pass. It's not quite as bad as in the defensive zone, though, and it doesn't worry me quite as much as the defensive zone play.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It wasn't necessarily the passing that was bad. It was the decision making that was bad. I saw plenty of times where a player had tons of time to pivot and look at the play and decide what to do or drive towards the net with the puck and instead the Devil just decided to wildly throw the puck towards an area. This happened in all zones actually.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Cory was pissed at the end of that play and looked like he was barking at the ref.

Maybe he was pissed he had zero reaction to a pass that went right by him and then the puck being in and out of the net before he even reacted to the shot...

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
It wasn't necessarily the passing that was bad. It was the decision making that was bad. I saw plenty of times where a player had tons of time to pivot and look at the play and decide what to do or drive towards the net with the puck and instead the Devil just decided to wildly throw the puck towards an area. This happened in all zones actually.

ding ding ding.

too much time with the puck when there was no time leading to getting wrecked and too little time with the puck when there was time.

Also, the defence had no chemistry and constantly gave it away trying to pass like Greene-Larsson used to. That'll work out in time tho

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
oh and Severson definitely thought the play was a penalty in overtime if you read his quote from AG.

"He (the ref) didn't call a penalty so it's got to be legal" screams that he doesn't want to call out the refs in game 1. Either way, can't lose the puck and you have to be stronger there and not get ragdolled.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
Wasn't close to interference, be stronger on the puck

He knocked him off the puck cleanly. However, with the puck several feet behind him and Severson trying to get back to it, the hit that knocked him down was questionable. At 5-on-5 in regulation in today's game, there is no question (in my mind) that he gets called for interference

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My prediction 1 game in... that's right 1 game. If a young guy like Speers or Lappin doesn't make it with that top line with Hall and Henny then we will be seeing Palmeri up there. Those 2 guys need someone fast to attack with and DSP certainly doesn't fit the bill.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
He knocked him off the puck cleanly. However, with the puck several feet behind him and Severson trying to get back to it, the hit that knocked him down was questionable. At 5-on-5 in regulation in today's game, there is no question (in my mind) that he gets called for interference

His lack of giving a crap to get back and cover Barkov is what's scary. I though he had a pretty strong game but to end it on that play just about negated everything positive that came before.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
My prediction 1 game in... that's right 1 game. If a young guy like Speers or Lappin doesn't make it with that top line with Hall and Henny then we will be seeing Palmeri up there. Those 2 guys need someone fast to attack with and DSP certainly doesn't fit the bill.

Well then RIP this season. If Zajac isn't producing we have no chance. I don't see Hynes doing this at all. He's not going to sacrifice depth to stack one line. Moving Cammalleri back to RW and on that line would make much more sense

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not going to obsess over this game too much. Devils had a rough night in many ways, but they managed to scrape out a point. Hopefully the team can make some changes and improve for next game. We're still one point ahead of where we were after the first game last year, and if we could get at least a point out of next game, we didn't do too shabby on this road trip that has been difficult for us in the past.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
They got overwhelmed in the defensive end. If not for Cory it's like 4-1. They just gotta work on things, as teams 1 game in do. amirite

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
It's one game with literally half a new roster. This is a process and the guys will take time to settle and find chemistry.

That said, I think Wood needs a promotion and Speers needs to go back to juniors. 8 more games may change my mind though...

Tomorrow I'd like to see:

Hall - Henrique - DSP
Cammy - zajac - Palmieri
Wood - Zacha - PAP
Josefson - Fiddler - Speers

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Auvitu - Santini

vozl59

Jan 15, 2009
Middletown, NJ
1 game, playing against division champs, which first goal was lucky, and we have 9 players who never played in a Devils jersey...9! (Hall,Speers,Wood,Zacha,PAP,Fiddler,Quincey,Auvitu,Lovejoy) Zacha played 1 yes.
But we did get a point. Ill take it for what its worth.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought the defense was twice as good as the forwards last night.

I thought Lovejoy and Moore worked very well together.

Auvitu is a little scrambly in his own zone. But that was to be expected I think. I'm sure there is a lot he needs to figure out.

I thought Quincey was a better skater. Maybe he was playing through some pain/injury? He looked slow but steady. Like to see Santini in his place.

Severson looked very good all game. Generated a couple of chances on his own and was overall solid in his own zone. He played a better game than Greene for the most part. Game winner was a bit unfortunate but I'm not sure what he could've done differently?

PK was good to very good.

I haven't checked the Dman minutes, going to in a little while but the minutes seemed much more evenly distributed.

The forwards weren't good as group. Palmieri was particularly bad and Cammalleri looked like he was sleep walking, Hall and Henrique were invisible. In general the forwards did nothing in the offensive zone and were particularly weak in the defensive zone. It was the most disappointing aspect of last night's game in my opinion.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Auvitu is a little scrambly in his own zone. But that was to be expected I think. I'm sure there is a lot he needs to figure out.

I thought Quincey was a better skater. Maybe he was playing through some pain/injury? He looked slow but steady. Like to see Santini in his place.

Severson looked very good all game. Generated a couple of chances on his own and was overall solid in his own zone. He played a better game than Greene for the most part. Game winner was a bit unfortunate but I'm not sure what he could've done differently?

I haven't checked the Dman minutes, going to in a little while but the minutes seemed much more evenly distributed.

The forwards weren't good as group. Palmieri was particularly bad and Cammalleri looked like he was sleep walking, Hall and Henrique were invisible. In general the forwards did nothing in the offensive zone and were particularly weak in the defensive zone. It was the most disappointing aspect of last night's game in my opinion.

I'll go along with that. I think it's fair though considering the roster turnover.

Greene was straight bad. He got better as it went on, but he looked like vintage 2008 Greene in the first two periods. A mess even...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's good to hear some positives because I only got to listen to the 3rd period and overtime on my drive home from class and, man, it really sounded like a dumpster fire.

Sounded like Cory had an exceptional game which is great to hear. Watched some of the postgame and am glad to see Jim match what Dano was saying, where he thought collectively the defense was strong for much of the night.

One thing I was happy about hearing was Palmieri holding everyone accountable for their performance in the 3rd in particular. He made it clear that there was no excuse for how they came out and didn't execute.

I'll take a road point against a good team any day. If they can get things figured out for tomorrow in Tampa and come away with a win there, 3 out of 4 would be excellent.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's good to hear some positives because I only got to listen to the 3rd period and overtime on my drive home from class and, man, it really sounded like a dumpster fire.

Sounded like Cory had an exceptional game which is great to hear. Watched some of the postgame and am glad to see Jim match what Dano was saying, where he thought collectively the defense was strong for much of the night.

One thing I was happy about hearing was Palmieri holding everyone accountable for their performance in the 3rd in particular. He made it clear that there was no excuse for how they came out and didn't execute.

I'll take a road point against a good team any day. If they can get things figured out for tomorrow in Tampa and come away with a win there, 3 out of 4 would be excellent.

The 2nd period was the only period I would call good. The 1st was pretty rough for most of the time and the 3rd was dreadful

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I thought the same thing – defense looked a lot better than the offense last night.

Quincey was a bit on the slow side – wouldn’t mind seeing Santini in there for him. Was surprised that Hynes had Greene, Moore & then Severson as his 3 defensemen out in OT – would’ve thought Auvitu would’ve gotten a shot (at least before Severson) in the 3 on 3.

PK was great – was surprising to see Zacha and Speers out there on the PK at one point.

Here was the TOI:

Greene – 22:11
Lovejoy – 21:42
Severson – 19:26
Moore – 19:09
Quincey – 19:09
Auvitu – 17:14

Auvitu (54.2%) was the only player on the team with a CF% above 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad