Panarin: Yes or No?

Do we go for hard and try and sign Panarin or not come July 1st?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
If it’s gonna be Panarin or Karlsson I will take Panarin
The one thing I always felt sure about was that Erik Karlsson was never in scope for the Rangers. As for Panarin, I could at least understand interest from NYR. There is simply no way that a guy like Gorton wants to jettison his structure by signing Erik Karlsson. It makes no sense.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
As many others have said, Panarin is great, but doesn’t address our biggest need (defense) and his best years will be while we’re not contending.

Makes more sense to save the long term contracts for next offseason and use that cap space to get assets from teams like the lightning that need to get rid of bad contracts.

Get one more top prospect in next years draft then sign someone like Trouba as a Ufa.

If you look at it like that, it’s more like
Trouba, #5 pick, and a 2nd rounder (for the cap dump) compared to Panarin and #12 pick. Would definitely prefer the former

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As an in mourning Jackets fan I can't for the life of me understand why the Rangers wouldn't want an 80 pt F that costs nothing but cap. Add him to your forward cast and trade some of them for D help and I believe you'd be way ahead in the rebuild. Just my opinion.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As an in mourning Jackets fan I can't for the life of me understand why the Rangers wouldn't want an 80 pt F that costs nothing but cap. Add him to your forward cast and trade some of them for D help and I believe you'd be way ahead in the rebuild. Just my opinion.
"because he doesn't fit the timeline" or whatever garbage they're peddling now.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As many others have said, Panarin is great, but doesn’t address our biggest need (defense) and his best years will be while we’re not contending.

Makes more sense to save the long term contracts for next offseason and use that cap space to get assets from teams like the lightning that need to get rid of bad contracts.

Get one more top prospect in next years draft then sign someone like Trouba as a Ufa.

If you look at it like that, it’s more like
Trouba, #5 pick, and a 2nd rounder (for the cap dump) compared to Panarin and #12 pick. Would definitely prefer the former
Trouba is very overrated imo and the picks here are assumptions.

Panarin is excellent, still peaking and has extremely low NHL miles on him for his age.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No.

Stay the course and accumulate assets. Our blue line could be 3-4 years away from being any good. Those also happen to be Panarin's prime years.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"because he doesn't fit the timeline" or whatever garbage they're peddling now.
It's not garbage. It's reality. The fact of the matter is that by the time that the Rangers are ready to truly compete, Panarin will be a shadow of the player he is today. How can I say that? Look at the level of play that the majority of 33 year olds have. They may still be good players. But not those you want to pay out $11m for per year.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
It's not garbage. It's reality. The fact of the matter is that by the time that the Rangers are ready to truly compete, Panarin will be a shadow of the player he is today. How can I say that? Look at the level of play that the majority of 33 year olds have. They may still be good players. But not those you want to pay out $11m for per year.
Peddling post lol

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Didnt realize hes 27. 3 years from now he'll be aging like our ufa's always do..and hell have another 4 seasons of being trash at top dollar. Not doing Richards, Gomez, redden, redux. I voted yes but now I realize it's a no,

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yes, most 33 year olds aren't worth $11 million per year. But most 27 year olds aren't nearly good enough to command an $11 million a year, so careful what population you're drawing from. Look at 27 year olds with 4 seasons of over 70 points. How did they age through the next six seasons?

No.

I do not want to be disappointed when he signs with Florida.
This sounds like a yes.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes, most 33 year olds aren't worth $11 million per year. But most 27 year olds aren't nearly good enough to command an $11 million a year, so careful what population you're drawing from. Look at 27 year olds with 4 seasons of over 70 points. How did they age through the next six seasons?

This sounds like a yes.
how do 28 year olds (he'll basically be 28 at the start of the season) tend to perform in their age 32...33...34 and 35 seasons?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
how do 28 year olds (he'll basically be 28 at the start of the season) tend to perform in their age 32...33...34 and 35 seasons?

The good ones continue to perform good. I posted the data a couple of weeks ago it's in my post history somewhere. Don't feel like getting it again because I had to do it all manually.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The good ones continue to perform good. I posted the data a couple of weeks ago it's in my post history somewhere. Don't feel like getting it again because I had to do it all manually.
I dunno..I’ll take your word for it...but it sure doesn’t seem like there are a ton of u.f.a. 28year olds who sign long term deals who don’t become albatrosses (unless they have cheater contracts)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I dunno..I’ll take your word for it...but it sure doesn’t seem like there are a ton of u.f.a. 28year olds who sign long term deals who don’t become albatrosses (unless they have cheater contracts)

Not talking about UFAs. Most of the UFA 28 year olds of late are terrible in the early 30s because there haven't been good UFAs. Just referring to players who are point/game or a better at age 27 tend to still be very good at age 33.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not talking about UFAs. Most of the UFA 28 year olds of late are terrible in the early 30s because there haven't been good UFAs. Just referring to players who are point/game or a better at age 27 tend to still be very good at age 33.
Can’t seem to find yr post..I’ll look for it tomorrow tho...

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Would have voted for "maybe." It depends on his asks. If he wants to be one of the top paid players in the league, then stay the course. If his demands are more reasonable (either in terms of cap or term), bring him in. The reality is we didn't finish bottom 5 this year, and there's no reason to expect that the team will be worse in the coming year. It's better to bring Kravs, #2, and the other young guns into a culture that always wants to win. Panarin can help that, and we have to cap to pay him within reason (he'd be off the books before our current kids need big paydays--and the contracts of Henrik, Staal, and Smith will all be off the books even sooner).

This team isn't going to "bottom 5" suck. As such, it's best to help them be as good as they can be. Unless Panarin wants stupid money (although I'm more concerned about term than I am cap with him).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Would have voted for "maybe." It depends on his asks. If he wants to be one of the top paid players in the league, then stay the course. If his demands are more reasonable (either in terms of cap or term), bring him in. The reality is we didn't finish bottom 5 this year, and there's no reason to expect that the team will be worse in the coming year. It's better to bring Kravs, #2, and the other young guns into a culture that always wants to win. Panarin can help that, and we have to cap to pay him within reason (he'd be off the books before our current kids need big paydays--and the contracts of Henrik, Staal, and Smith will all be off the books even sooner).

This team isn't going to "bottom 5" suck. As such, it's best to help them be as good as they can be. Unless Panarin wants stupid money (although I'm more concerned about term than I am cap with him).

They whiff on Panarin and Kreider gets traded.

Even if they keep Kreider, the team that won 5 of its last 20 (post TDL) is largely coming back next year, plus Fox, Kakko and probably Kravstov.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
They whiff on Panarin and Kreider gets traded.

Even if they keep Kreider, the team that won 5 of its last 20 (post TDL) is largely coming back next year, plus Fox, Kakko and probably Kravstov.

And another year of experience for guys like Chytil, ADA, and Andersson. The only way this team finishes bottom 5 is if they mutiny on the coach, and I don't see that happening. You point to the last 20 games. Look at last season--SO many tight games. The record was awful but the team was competitive almost every single night. This team, at this stage of development, with or without Panarin, isn't a contender. But they will be in every single game, and that will keep them out of the bottom 5. And that's a good thing.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
How about let's forget about panarin since we are stacked at the wing position with chytl, buchnevich, kratsov, and probably kakko and let's go after duchene to help out our very weak center depth. He is 27yo, can fill in the #2 center very well and allows us to hopefully draft zegras if we move back in the top 10. But this allows us to take our time developing our youngsters.

Sign him for 5 years 7m aav and if we need to trade him because our players can take his spot then better for us. But in my mind he is cheaper than panarin and more of a need for us.

Reactions: ponytrekker

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
We got the 2nd overall pick by getting low overall points and winning the lottery right?

Idk...maybe we should do that or similar 2 more times.

The odds were significantly higher that we would drop rather than rise in the lotto. Given the choice between building a team that can compete and thus developing a winning culture or trying to suck and then defy the odds “2 more times” there’s only one smart answer.

Reactions: TheTakedown

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The odds were significantly higher that we would drop rather than rise in the lotto. Given the choice between building a team that can compete and thus developing a winning culture or trying to suck and then defy the odds “2 more times” there’s only one smart answer.

Lol. They just took too many loser points like a bunch of dumbasses.

The team was shit. It should be shit.

Then it can git gud. Rangerstown fans are their own enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad