Panarin: Yes or No?

Do we go for hard and try and sign Panarin or not come July 1st?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Friedman's a great listen but boy...I swear he makes up at least 15 percent of his stuff if not more.
Wouldn’t surprise me, he probably has way too many places to fill with content these days with his podcast, column, tv and radio spots, etc. I will give him credit for specifying if it’s something he’s heard or he’s educated guessing most of the time

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yes
He is a franchise winger, a young 27 in terms of NHL mileage & injuries, would be great for all our young Russian players, he wants to play here, and we have the cap space. He’s the type of player I see aging like wine and fits our greatest need of a RHS winger.

I'm not not prepared to call a player who has never cracked 90 points a franchise player. Superstar yes. Franchise i think is pushing it a bit.

I was 30/70 against him before we won the lottery. I'm around 55/45 in favor now, but I'm a little hesisdent on a 11M/7 year contract.

But i'm 0/100 against EK so if we are going after 1 of them, it better be Panarin.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think it's interesting that the signing of JD was potentially construed as a selling point for Panarin to come to NYC.

Sure, JD was part of the org that traded for Panarin, but they were almost surely going to let him walk this year.

It never appeared that the CBJ organization was giving Panarin a ringing endorsement. The story from Lagreca makes a lot of sense in the context.
They offered him a very large contract. The BJs did not want Panarin to leave.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
This board tends to be very naive about the salary cap. The Rangers have a grand total of two veteran players under contract for 2021-22 and the expectation that a large portion of the roster will be on entry level contracts. Given the youth in the organization now and what’s coming, I anticipate they will have at least 5 ELCs every year until the middle 20s. Once the new US TV deal is signed, cap will jump 6-8MM (minimum) in one year. There is no cap congestion and it won’t be an issue until 2023 or 2024. If the Rangers do go all in on Panarin (and I can’t imagine they won’t) I expect they will take great pains to structure his contract in a way that gives them a back door down the road.

Money is not the issue. It is the evaluation of the player that should be concerning everyone.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This board tends to be very naive about the salary cap. The Rangers have a grand total of two veteran players under contract for 2021-22 and the expectation that a large portion of the roster will be on entry level contracts. Given the youth in the organization now and what’s coming, I anticipate they will have at least 5 ELCs every year until the middle 20s. Once the new US TV deal is signed, cap will jump 6-8MM (minimum) in one year. There is no cap congestion and it won’t be an issue until 2023 or 2024. If the Rangers do go all in on Panarin (and I can’t imagine they won’t) I expect they will take great pains to structure his contract in a way that gives them a back door down the road.

Money is not the issue. It is the evaluation of the player that should be concerning everyone.

A couple of sources have already indicated they are not likely to go all in on Panarin.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

I would agree with this. The cap issue is overblown with the new TV deal, Seattle expansion, the amount of cheap and young talent the Rangers should be adding to the team over the coming seasons.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

What if Kravtsov, Kakko, and Shestorkin all turn into star/superstar players, in 2-3 years they will all be looking for some pretty massive contracts(Maybe not so much Shest as his is just 2 years). But you could easily see those 3 players tied up for 20M+. Now add in Panarins 11m contract and we have 4 players accounting for well more than 30M of our cap. So no, I don't think people are being naive, they are acutally looking to the future and worst case (best case if they all reach their potentials?) scenarios.

Oh and that's all assuminng none of our players go lights out as well and command a lot (Chytil? Miller? Fox? DeAngelo?)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Only LaGreca has said that. Carp who has been on everything this offseason has been saying that the team will be aggressive in going after him.

So has Brooks. And, others have pointed out, Friedman has pulled back from his ‘the Rangers are going all out for Panarin’, and currently believes the Panthers are the favorite for Panarin.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
So has Brooks. And, others have pointed out, Friedman has pulled back from his ‘the Rangers are going all out for Panarin’, and currently believes the Panthers are the favorite for Panarin.
He hasn't, he did say the Panthers are probably more likely now but that doesn't speak to the Rangers willingness to go after him. I could see the point about Brooks though.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This my take.

If we sign him, it's gonna be an over-payment. So no. If we can get him cheap, it's kind of a no brainer.

But I just don't see it, we're at least two more years away and probably Breaddude will rather destroy the tank, than command it.

Reactions: CasusBelli

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
What if Kravtsov, Kakko, and Shestorkin all turn into star/superstar players, in 2-3 years they will all be looking for some pretty massive contracts(Maybe not so much Shest as his is just 2 years). But you could easily see those 3 players tied up for 20M+. Now add in Panarins 11m contract and we have 4 players accounting for well more than 30M of our cap. So no, I don't think people are being naive, they are acutally looking to the future and worst case (best case if they all reach their potentials?) scenarios.

Oh and that's all assuminng none of our players go lights out as well and command a lot (Chytil? Miller? Fox? DeAngelo?)
Having 4 players account for $30MM of a $90MM cap? That’s very manageable.

Oh and by the way, if that happens, I’ll buy you a beer at the parade.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well, see, the that's the thing, isn't it? Any team who gets him will overpay for him.
Although I know where you're coming from with this point, isn't it all in the eye of the beholder? There is a general dollar range where people will have very different opinions on what is fair. Some would say $10 million is worth it. Some would say $10 million is overpaying.

Also, would you have said the same about Shattenkirk? Any team that get him will overpay. I would argue we paid a very fair price (at the time) for Shatty. You never really know what a player is thinking and what truly motivates them.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004

The good news is Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk and Henrik all will be off the cap by then. Throw in Girardi's buyout coming off of the books and that's $26.6 million right there.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Voting yes. Zibanejad is the Rangers only legitimate top line on a playoff team caliber forward. Panarin would add to that and would help the teams young Russian core. The Rangers have too many middle six players. I'm not signing anymore tweeners. Players like Panarin don't hit the market, and this is a player who shouldn't lose age poorly. Get a legit top line player. Trade Kreider. Keep moving forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

If you doubled or tripled posted this post I would make sure to like it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->