Panarin: Yes or No?

Do we go for hard and try and sign Panarin or not come July 1st?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
So has Brooks. And, others have pointed out, Friedman has pulled back from his ‘the Rangers are going all out for Panarin’, and currently believes the Panthers are the favorite for Panarin.

Brooks has been skeptical about the Rangers and Panarin since Stone signed his 8 year extension in Vegas. $9.5M. No state income tax in Nevada. I am not sure what Brooks expected Panarin to get in NY but his feeling changed after that contract. He wrote about younger players are getting the contract Panarin wants. Young guys in their early 20's with their peak and prime years ahead of them. Not a 27 year old guy.

I love everyone looks at every hockey analytical piece of data but they ignore aging curves.

25 is the peak season for a scoring forward. 22-25/26 are the prime years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Brooks has been skeptical about the Rangers and Panarin since Stone signed his 8 year extension in Vegas. $9.5M. No state income tax in Nevada. I am not sure what Brooks expected Panarin to get in NY but his feeling changed after that contract. He wrote about younger players are getting the contract Panarin wants. Young guys in their early 20's with their peak and prime years ahead of them. Not a 27 year old guy.

I love everyone looks at every hockey analytical piece of data but they ignore aging curves.

I don't think they ignore them, they down play them by using an arbitrary cut off age of 32 even if the player being signed would not have his contract end until he was 33, 34, 35 without factoring in those who retired, were bought out, or were not signed again past a certain age.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
1. The only years when a UFA may possibly be worth it is early into his contract, but those years will be wasted since our top kids will still be kids going through growing pains.

2. By the time our kids (Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, K'Andre, Lias, Jets pick) are close to their prime, Panarin's contract will be an anchor on the team even if he's still ok. Meaning, if he's a $5 player making $11, it is still a disaster even though he's still pretty good.

3. If we sign nobody and trade Kreider, we stand a reasonable shot at getting one of the two centers in the 2020 draft who are presently viewed as superior to Kakko. Even if we don't get them, we still get a top prospect better than Kravtsov (earlier pick in a better draft). Even if we lose the lottery, we still get a prospect who looks better on his draft day than anyone we had in 2 decades except Kakko. If we win the lottery, we get someone better than Kakko. Or we sign a contract which is highly likely to be an anchor or at best, a good contract, but that is wasted playing with kids who are still green.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012

Nearly 100 percent of these players would be under team control and can be managed from a Cap standpoint. I think NYR's cap situation allows them to take a gamble on Panarin, specifically given what's coming off the books after 20/21

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Panarin should be a great influence on our boy Kravtsov. I know with Kakko we've kind of forgotten about him but its very important that we maximize his potential and Panarin i think would be an excellent mentor to him

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So with 120 votes in, it looks like we are at 57% to 42% in favor of us going after Bread man and bringing him to MSG.

That sounds about right to me. Some pretty compelling arguments both for and against Gorton going all in to bring Panarin here. I dunno, Panarin in a Ranger uniform just seems very right to me. I hope it happens but I won't be crestfallen if it doesn't if I were to be totally honest.

The rebuild going so damn good thus far(knock on wood) with the coup de grace of very likely Kakko or Hughes a month away from being a Ranger is likely the reason for me feeling like this...:nod:

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
If it’s gonna be Panarin or Karlsson I will take Panarin
This is how I feel as well.
I voted no, but I don't think signing Panarin is a guaranteed disaster or anything like that. I just feel he is the right player at the wrong time. His best years come before we contend. We don't know enough about the young players we have. Chytil, Andersson, Kravstov and Kakko could give us four top 6 forwards. Or none. They could all be wings. Or we could get three centers out of them. If we got Hughes instead of Kakko that would push me a little closer to yes, actually.
I would never say Panarin is anything but an excellent player, and probably the most attractive free agent to come along in years. If they sign him I'm going to be excited despite my concerns about the timing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are a lot of reasons that Panarin may end up with Florida. State taxes, his old coach, Miami beaches, maybe the Panthers even make a deal for him before July so they can max his term out and show him how much they want him. Florida's biggest need is not Panarin though--it is a for real goaltender but Columbus could package Bobrovsky along with Panarin and exactly what Columbus would get out of that might be interesting and especially if there's another team in on Panarin. I don't think Florida's going to get rights to talk early to both those players for late round draft picks and if they're bidding against another team Columbus can drive up the price and what does it say to Panarin if say the Rangers are willing to go higher to get his signature on a contract than the Panthers are? The Panthers may also have to move some money around to make room for both Panarin and Bobrovsky. It can be done but the downside for them is there won't be a lot of cap room left over and they'll be a ceiling team and with numerous older players for the forseesable future.

Failing on getting Panarin I would hang on to Kreider at least until the next trade deadline. See how the season goes anyway before I'd commit to moving him or not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The rebuild going so damn good thus far(knock on wood) with the coup de grace of very likely Kakko or Hughes a month away from being a Ranger is likely the reason for me feeling like this...:nod:
I actually think that sort of case is next year's lottery pick.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Nearly 100 percent of these players would be under team control and can be managed from a Cap standpoint. I think NYR's cap situation allows them to take a gamble on Panarin, specifically given what's coming off the books after 20/21

That hasn't worked out well in the past. There is no reason the Rangers need to take a gamble right now. FA's and Trades for marquee players happen every year. There will be guys available when we are more ready. Hell, this will be Panarin's third club in four years.

The only kinda win was Gaborik. And that's more so because of what he was traded for.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trade Kreider for assets, use his cap space plus some to sign Panarin. Get Panarin and some futures all in one.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
give a shattenkirk style offer or don't bother

would've been nice if he as UFA next year.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Not on board giving this player 7 years 11 Million Dollars per year. He is good but not at that level. This contract will screw us down the road. We are not ready to compete. I believe we have two more years of growing pains.

Reactions: Berserk

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is a situation where the newly constituted Ranger brass may have a new perspective. The management team clearly had a POV on Panarin before the Davidson hire. Same with EK, Lundqvist, Trouba, Kreider, Hayes and any of the other scenarios we have been discussing and probably a couple we haven't even thought of. It doesn't necessarily mean anything will change but it might. You get a new boss, you listen to what he has to say. It may be as simple as stay the course, but we don't know what course these guys had plotted. You can bet the questions asked won't be softballs.

I'd sure like to be a bug on the wall when Davidson talks to Gorton and Drury.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
CBJ fan coming in peace.

Heres the thing about Bread, I mean several things.

1) we hate seeing him leave us for nothing.

2) bread isnt a real scorer but more like a playmaker. A great playmaker even.

The downside to signing him is that he usually starts the season very well and delivers what he is paid for. Yet the second part of the season was considerably less productive in points per game but also in general. Even during the PO where he scored quite a few goals he wasnt at his best.

And another thing is: I think hes the type of a guy who could get lazy sometime into the future. Im not pulling this out of my ass. The guy may lack loyalty to basically anyone and is somewhat self absorbed.

Either way: if he leaves us for NYR then so be it I guess.

My 2c.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
CBJ fan coming in peace.

Heres the thing about Bread, I mean several things.

1) we hate seeing him leave us for nothing.

2) bread isnt a real scorer but more like a playmaker. A great playmaker even.

The downside to signing him is that he usually starts the season very well and delivers what he is paid for. Yet the second part of the season was considerably less productive in points per game but also in general. Even during the PO where he scored quite a few goals he wasnt at his best.

And another thing is: I think hes the type of a guy who could get lazy sometime into the future. Im not pulling this out of my ass. The guy may lack loyalty to basically anyone and is somewhat self absorbed.

Either way: if he leaves us for NYR then so be it I guess.

My 2c.
Honestly I think this would be of more use on the Panthers board.

Reactions: Inferno and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad