LeBrun: Panarin will seek $10 - $11 mil/yr in Columbus or open market

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No, it's also because of the chance to get to play for the premier franchise in all of hockey, maybe all of sports, again. He's been miserable ever since he got traded, watch him take a healthy discount for a chance to feel whole again!
Have you not flipped your calendar is 5 or so years? The Hawks aren't the premier franchise in this league, sport or all of sports by any stretch of the imagination.

I have no particular issue with them, their winning teams were awesome to watch at that 2010 team was one of the deepest teams ever IMO, but time marches on.

And if he's been miserable since he was traded, his misery is due to the Hawks GM moving him in a horrendous deal to bring back one of Toews' pals who is a worse hockey player than Panarin in every way. Why would he go back to that same team run by that same GM if he's so miserable after that GM moved him in a dumb deal?

Reactions: wraparound

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
No, it's also because of the chance to get to play for the premier franchise in all of hockey, maybe all of sports, again. He's been miserable ever since he got traded, watch him take a healthy discount for a chance to feel whole again!

False again.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No, it's also because of the chance to get to play for the premier franchise in all of hockey, maybe all of sports, again.

:laugh:
You have a time machine?

Nothing says "premier franchise" quite like losing season after losing season. Maybe by the time Artemi is 33 years old the Hawks will be great again.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You're right but I did not say he liked it. But he may not like the warm weather either. This is the problem. Right now everything is pure speculation. If he loves Columbus than why hasn't he re-signed with them?
It's starting to look similar to the Tavares situation. Columbus should look into their options at this point because you would hate to lose him for nothing.
Its not losing him for nothing... its using the asset the best you can for now and later. Is a ok prospect and a pick worth more then what he brings to the team the 2nd half of the year? To the CBJ the most inportant thing is building a franchise guys like Panarin want to stay at so winning is more then 2 dart throws. A 2nd round appearance could bring big things for us since we are showing we are getting better and have a fantastic core.

Also Panarin has said day one he wants to see his worth in the open market since he hasnt had that chance yet. Part of it is location but most of it is to see how much and where he could go. There is probably a 25% chance he stays.

Reactions: dk2k

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Really? You pick out my post to tell me i'm wrong then explain why i'm right. The contract percentage of cap is going up much quicker every FA frenzy then the actual cap is.

Sigh. You still don't get it. I honestly don't know how to explain it I guess.

I just don't understand why you think the salary of Player A will cause a lockout when Team A has a salary cap so they aren't spending any more money overall. I can't wrap my head around it.

Also, players salary percentage are not going up. You either made that up to help your cause or you are confusing the actual contract amount with percentage of the cap.

John Tavares was the biggest FA frenzy signing this year. His contract is 13.8 percent of the cap. This is LESS than the average superstar salary cap percentage from 2008 which was 3 percent higher.

People who were integral to the last cba spoke to Bob McKenzie and gave him a list of things that could cause a lockout, here they are "escrow, trading of dead salary-cap space, absence of the right to renegotiate contracts, lack of a player’s right to terminate a contract, limits on no-movement/no-trade clauses and paying the bulk of a player’s salary in signing bonuses, length of contracts". Notice anything? Nobody has mentioned "increased salary of players". Do you know why? Because they realize the common concept that the players make a percentage of the salary cap and the salary cap is tied to HRR so what one player makes means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. They also realize that most of these star player signings are actually less cap percentage than they were 10 years ago.

This isn't an argument you should be digging in on. Its not even an argument. I'm trying to show you why your opinion isn't actually based in any logic or reality. The comment "this is why we will have another lockout" on any thread here that involves a high salary has become such a trope and its 100 percent incorrect. We might still have a lockout. But players salaries rising because the cap is rising because HRR is increasing will not be the cause of it. Its actually proof that the system is working.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Equal money, where do you think AP would choose Chicago or Columbus?

Columbus.

He enjoyed the city of Chicago more, however he enjoys the organization of Columbus more. Chicago brings him more marketability, but Columbus gives him a better chance to win in the near future. Plus, he didn't exactly like being traded, and the only guy remaining that he has any draw to is Patrick Kane (albeit a big draw for sure), and Artem Anisimov.

That's not the real reason you're asking though. The post I quoted had one thing accurate, and that is Chicago being a premier franchise in hockey. Other than that, the post is garbage.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Columbus.

He enjoyed the city of Chicago more, however he enjoys the organization of Columbus more. Chicago brings him more marketability, but Columbus gives him a better chance to win in the near future. Plus, he didn't exactly like being traded, and the only guy remaining that he has any draw to is Patrick Kane (albeit a big draw for sure), and Artem Anisimov.

That's not the real reason you're asking though. The post I quoted had one thing accurate, and that is Chicago being a premier franchise in hockey. Other than that, the post is garbage.

Actually my post was just an honest question looking for what your thoughts were on where his mindset is on where he would prefer to play if equal money was on the table.

Nice assumption though...not really.

I would argue that Columbus might not have a brighter future after this season but that is a completely different discussion from this thread.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Sigh. You still don't get it. I honestly don't know how to explain it I guess.

I just don't understand why you think the salary of Player A will cause a lockout when Team A has a salary cap so they aren't spending any more money overall. I can't wrap my head around it.

Also, players salary percentage are not going up. You either made that up to help your cause or you are confusing the actual contract amount with percentage of the cap.

John Tavares was the biggest FA frenzy signing this year. His contract is 13.8 percent of the cap. This is LESS than the average superstar salary cap percentage from 2008 which was 3 percent higher.

People who were integral to the last cba spoke to Bob McKenzie and gave him a list of things that could cause a lockout, here they are "escrow, trading of dead salary-cap space, absence of the right to renegotiate contracts, lack of a player’s right to terminate a contract, limits on no-movement/no-trade clauses and paying the bulk of a player’s salary in signing bonuses, length of contracts". Notice anything? Nobody has mentioned "increased salary of players". Do you know why? Because they realize the common concept that the players make a percentage of the salary cap and the salary cap is tied to HRR so what one player makes means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. They also realize that most of these star player signings are actually less cap percentage than they were 10 years ago.

This isn't an argument you should be digging in on. Its not even an argument. I'm trying to show you why your opinion isn't actually based in any logic or reality. The comment "this is why we will have another lockout" on any thread here that involves a high salary has become such a trope and its 100 percent incorrect. We might still have a lockout. But players salaries rising because the cap is rising because HRR is increasing will not be the cause of it. Its actually proof that the system is working.

You can keep writing walls of text all you want the simple matter is when you have 4 or 5 guys taking up 50% of your cap its a big problem. This is the direction the league is going in hence why a future lockout is looming unless big changes are made. So yes you're still wrong. I'll wait till tomorrow till you finish your next novella.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
You can keep writing walls of text all you want the simple matter is when you have 4 or 5 guys taking up 50% of your cap its a big problem. This is the direction the league is going in hence why a future lockout is looming unless big changes are made. So yes you're still wrong. I'll wait till tomorrow till you finish your next novella.

So basically what youre saying is you don't care how much proof I show you that proves youre wrong, you aren't changing your mind?

I guess you know something that all the best business minds don't huh? You're saying things that contradict all of them and you're saying things that contradict facts (like players salary cap percentage are going up, which is 100 percent a lie on your part).

I apologize for trying to educate you a bit. Ive had people on here point out when im wrong and show me why and I use that to improve my knowledge. Guess that's the difference though. I, and many people on here, when given evidence contradicting an opinion we have, use it to expand our understanding of the game. You, when given evidence contradicting your opinion, dig your heels in, stick fingers in your ears and say "la la la I'm right la la la". Its a character flaw that will set you back in life if you don't fix it.

PS. These "walls of text" only take me a few minutes to type up. I really dont even think they're that long. If it's difficult for you to read more than a few sentences then maybe stick to children's books? Should I put some drawings in my posts to keep your attention?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Actually my post was just an honest question looking for what your thoughts were on where his mindset is on where he would prefer to play if equal money was on the table.

I would argue that Columbus might not have a brighter future after this season but that is a completely different discussion from this thread.

I bet.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

How many u25 players does Chicago have on the roster?

Majority of Columbus' is u25 including it's entire core (depending on whether you include Panarin and Bob into the core, which it doesn't look like the FO thinks Bob is apart of the core)

Foligno, Savard, Panarin, Nash, Dubinsky, Bob and Atkinson are literally the only players on the entire team that are older than 25. The Jackets are JUST entering their prime.

Reactions: Viqsi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
How many u25 players does Chicago have on the roster?

Majority of Columbus' is u25 including it's entire core (depending on whether you include Panarin and Bob into the core, which it doesn't look like the FO thinks Bob is apart of the core)

Foligno, Savard, Panarin, Nash, Dubinsky, Bob and Atkinson are literally the only players on the entire team that are older than 25. The Jackets are JUST entering their prime.

That is for a different thread or PMsbut I am happy to discuss it. Not looking to derail this thread.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
:laugh:
You have a time machine?

Nothing says "premier franchise" quite like losing season after losing season. Maybe by the time Artemi is 33 years old the Hawks will be great again.
The Hawks just missed the playoffs for the first time in the decade. Think what you will about the future of the Hawks, but this isn't even close to an accurate picture of the Hawks last few years.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What? Are you paranoid or something? There is not secret underlying motive to my question, just an honest question.

That was aimed at your “I’d argue Chicago is better set up to going forward than Columbus” statement. Not about the question.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That was aimed at your “I’d argue Chicago is better set up to going forward than Columbus” statement. Not about the question.

That is not really what I said but ok. I specifically stated that the comment was for another time/thread.

You just seem to be reading into something that is not there. Like I said before we can discuss the future of both franchises in PMs or another thread.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That is not really what I said but ok. I specifically stated that the comment was for another time/thread.

You just seem to be reading into something that is not there. Like I said before we can discuss the future of both franchises in PMs or another thread.

I’m not reading anything into anything. You asked a question and I answered

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad