Panarin vs Svechnikov

Panarin vs Svechnikov

• Total voters

AirJordan

May 23, 2013
No. Matthews and Laine were being talked about well before their draft year as being future top talents.

Svechnikov doesn't have nearly the hype or expectation.

you clearly have no clue what you talking about. svechnikov is the most hyped russian since ovechkin himself, even on this board he was talked about years before his draft season. Specially laine was unknown and sure as hell not hyped as future star comming draft year. And svechnikov has stamkos level written all over him.

Reactions: Ayta Doherty

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
you clearly have no clue what you talking about. svechnikov is the most hyped russian since ovechkin himself, even on this board he was talked about years before his draft season. Specially laine was unknown and sure as hell not hyped as future star comming draft year. And svechnikov has stamkos level written all over him.

Not true. Laine was injured in his D-2 and was excellent in his D-3, I mean previous to his draft year he had a very, very bad year(again relating to injuries and surgery) but was even still pampered to be a Top 5 pick(Mackenzie ranked him 4th before the start of the 2016 season). Matthews was just as popular if not more than Svechnikov as he outscored him significantly in PPG in his D-2 as a USHL player. Also should be noted they both significantly outperformed Svechnikov internationally... Matthews was clearly better(and played a more valuable position) and if not for injury Laine would be a clearly better prospect just as well.

Also while I’m here, your wrong Svechnikov was the most hyped since Yakupov and Yakupov was the most hyped since Ovie. Anyways just because dimes hyped to carry the next wave of a prominent nation doesn’t mean he’s automatically better than another player with a better resume.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'm confident Svech reaches his potential so i choose him due to cost control, team control, age, etc. Plus I like his size and game better.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Of course no two drafts are alike. And of course the risk of a bust is real. Everyone does a risk/ reward analysis (even if it's subconscious) and bases decisions on the result. My point is that for that particular draft year at least there's an objective basis for choosing Matthews or Laine as a comparator: the top forward or 2nd overall selection. Now, the comparison may not be accurate due to variations in talent across years, but at least there's an objective basis for it. Selecting Puljujarvi as a comparator is totally subjective (unless I missed some criteria that wasn't specified).

Like I said, we each do our own risk/ reward calculation for Svech, and they will of course differ. But based on what I've read, as well as the opinion of many neutral fans here, it's apparent that Crede who first suggested Pulju for comparison, is somewhat of an outlier with regard to how he views Svech.
If Svechknikov had been in the 2016 draft, it would have been the "big 4" with Puljujarvi and Svechnikov fighting for 3rd imo, and I think that's why he gets brought up, extremely comparable tier of prospect. The 2016 draft was better after #1 than this one is in the top 5

I think this is more a case of Puljujarvi not getting his due than overrating of Svechnikov, he was a 1st line winger with franchise player upside type prospect

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The safe decision is to always go with the proven gamechanger, not the one coming out of a draft. Uncertainty caught up to Puljujärvi and Yakupov, there's no guarantees in this business.
Give any GM this decision and there should be a considerable majority in the favor of Panarin in this case.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You can't just say Panarin is any 80 point winger. The guy is one of the biggest cherry-pickers in the league and makes far too many high-risk plays. For every offensive chance he creates, he's usually creating one the other way as well.

You obviously didn't watch Panarin play this season.

His TA/GA #s have gotten progressively better each season and he's only had 1 season (his first season) where he was actually negative. And this season on the Jackets being THE guy he posted his best numbers ever with 70 takeaway's and 51 giveaways.

And not only are his numbers good but it was obvious how good defensively he was if you just watched him play, he was one of the hardest backchecking players on the team.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Completely depends on team situation. If you are a perennial contender like CBJ why would you make this trade? You've been waiting for a franchise forward since Nash. However, if you are a bottom dweller (Arizona, Rangers, Islanders, Canucks etc.) who need multiple pieces and probably atleast 2-3 years away then you definitely make this trade. Completely depends on direction/vision of the team.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014

His TA/GA #s have gotten progressively better each season and he's only had 1 season (his first season) where he was actually negative. And this season on the Jackets being THE guy he posted his best numbers ever with 70 takeaway's and 51 giveaways.

And not only are his numbers good but it was obvious how good defensively he was if you just watched him play, he was one of the hardest backchecking players on the team.
He did cherrypick like he wasn't aware there were 3 zones in the playoff series against Washington. I can't speak to the rest of the year.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd take Panarin for the Sharks. He's the super skilled playmaking winger we need.

Panarin - Hertl - anyone

Would be disgusting to watch.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He did cherrypick like he wasn't aware there were 3 zones in the playoff series against Washington. I can't speak to the rest of the year.

Regardless of how accurate that is, he was playing through a knee injury in the POs. I'd use the other 82 games as the reality for him.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Takeaways and giveaways stats are inaccurately recorded and close to meaningless, plus are only a small part of overall defensive play.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
ELC / Salary tips the scale for me, especially with the Ducks.... Svechnikov for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad