Speculation: Panarin to Isles

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
again not really a guy who sounds like he is going to go to battle for you in those games in mid April and beyond

15 points in 17 playoff games in his NHL career . . . it took me about 10 seconds to check that out . . .

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
different types of people, one is a liar and I am guessing a coward, the other is a person who does not have winning as a priority

Where you want to play hockey =/= how motivated you are to play hockey.

When you trade for a player 2 years removed from UFA, you trade for the risk of them leaving in 2 years.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
ok fine, but at least a guy who seems willing to bail on a team that looks like it is headed in the right direction because he wants to play near a body of water? sounds like he is more interested in the off ice stuff than the on ice stuff, again not really a guy who sounds like he is going to go to battle for you in those games in mid April and beyond
Pronger bailed on a team immediately after reaching the cup finals with them. Guess he wasn't the sort to battle in the playoffs, right?

Wanting to be happy in your life outside of your job says very little one way or another about your dedication to the quality of your work.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'd say the value CBJ would want back is on the order of Beauvillier (I believe Columbus would insist on him being in the deal) + Wahlstrom. That gives them a safe bet for a goal scorer *now* (I believe Tito will be a 25-35 goal scorer next year and for the next 5-6 years), and a home run swing. Obviously, NYI can't do that without knowing that Panarin would come back.

Frankly, if the shovels were in the ground for the arena I'd consider it. But as they're not yet, I wouldn't do it when Panarin is fairly likely to bolt for the Rangers. Can't have that...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I guess sucks being CBJ.

Panarin will be free like the wind and every one of 30 other GM's knows Panarin will not re-sign with CBJ. Now...can Columbus convince both Panarin to sign with another team, and convince that other team that it's worth paying for Panarin with a promise of signature.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
.......................................................................................

Of course, both Lee and Panarin would need to agree to extensions before this would be possible.

So maybe something like Panarin and a 2nd for Lee, Bailey, Quenneville and Skarek? Assuming signed contracts for Lee and Panarin.

-----

Panarin outscored the next CBJ forward by OVER 30 points, that's a star performance and he's worth a LOT.

The key is the extension. Then it really just becomes Lee and Bailey for Panarin and a 2nd. This keeps Barzal/Beau/Eberle together and Panarin becomes the focal point of the other Top 6 line, where he proved himself already in Columbus to be able to produce with lesser players.

This is pretty well thought out. I like that you have Panarin on a separate line from Barzal. They play a similar game as the primary puck carriers from end to end, and really shouldn't be together (just as Kane and Panarin was actually a waste of Panarin's immense talent).

From the Columbus perspective they'd take such an offer very seriously, but might give it less value this summer than later on. Obviously everyone is waiting to see how Lee and Bailey do without Tavares. They'll be good, but how good? The uncertainty drags the price down. And the Isles could put up all that and still get outbid by someone else, certainly if there's a singular piece in the offing rather than a quantity deal (Columbus has quantity). The Isles chances could improve drastically if Panarin narrows his list, of course.

Reactions: leeroggy

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I guess sucks being CBJ.

Panarin will be free like the wind and every one of 30 other GM's knows Panarin will not re-sign with CBJ. Now...can Columbus convince both Panarin to sign with another team, and convince that other team that it's worth paying for Panarin with a promise of signature.

If Panarin is willing to do a sign and trade with multiple options then things get much rosier for Columbus. They can get most of his value back.

I'm more worried that he won't cooperate than I am that a team won't pay up for a signed Panarin. Right now fans from a lot of teams are saying "we can just sign him later" rather than doing a sign-and-trade for him, but obviously that would only work out for one team. And missing out on a player of his talent is a huge loss.

Panarin is simultaneously unwilling to talk contract with Columbus (meaning he probably won't sign there at any point) and saying he doesn't want to talk about contracts or trades beyond a certain point in time (I believe camp). So it's a huge problem for Jarmo. Panarin has never ever given the impression that he's anything less than a great teammate with the guys in the room and on the ice, but this is obviously screwing the Jackets over hard. If I'm Jarmo I'm calling Panarin's bluff on mid-season talks and I'm going to wait until I get a good offer mid-season. Let other clubs watch Panarin do his thing over the next few months and hope you can either sign him or put together a sign-and-trade mid-season.

Reactions: powerstuck

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
The cost will hurt whether it is for a signed or unsigned Panarin.

If Panarin isn't sure about staying with an up and coming Columbus team......why would he consider the Isles, who are years behind Columbus?

His issue is with the city itself not the state of the team.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I’d have to insist that Wahlstrom must be apart of the deal...

Eberle + Wahlstrom + another prospect/pick for a signed Panarin?

Look up any website's odds for the 2019 Stanley Cup. The Islanders are at the bottom, with Ottawa and Arizona, on every list.

The idea we're looking to package together our top future assets: Wahlstrom, Dobson, the upcoming 1st: it's a silly one, especially for a UFA. The whole "but you're trading for a signed Panarin" angle - let's wait to hear that (like Karlsson saying he's willing to re-sign in Tampa) from a trusted source instead of just assuming it. As much as Columbus fans would love to be handsomely compensated with a bluechipper like Wahlstrom, you'll have to get it from a contending team with better odds at winning the 2019 Cup.

The best risk for the Islanders to take in this scenario, is keep our assets and hope Panarin doesn't sign an extension. If he signs elsewhere, oh well. If he makes it to July 1st, prepare a pitch. The important factor is that we don't need Panarin in the short-term.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I’d have to insist that Wahlstrom must be apart of the deal...

Eberle + Wahlstrom + another prospect/pick for a signed Panarin?

Eberle is a complementary player. With a linemate driving the bus, Ebs is a good scorer, but absent that he's probably not anymore useful than the plentiful group of second-line types that the Jackets already have. That and he might not get past Torts. There's uncertainty with all of them, but Lee, Bailey, and Beauvillier are all better targets.

Look up any website's odds for the 2019 Stanley Cup. The Islanders are at the bottom, with Ottawa and Arizona, on every list.

The idea we're looking to package together our top future assets: Wahlstrom, Dobson, the upcoming 1st: it's a silly one, especially for a UFA. The whole "but you're trading for a signed Panarin" angle - let's wait to hear that (like Karlsson saying he's willing to re-sign in Tampa) from a trusted source instead of just assuming it. As much as Columbus fans would love to be handsomely compensated with a bluechipper like Wahlstrom, you'll have to get it from a contending team with better odds at winning the 2019 Cup.

You're supposed to assume it, it's a hypothetical. None of us know if Panarin would be willing to extend for the Isles, so we game out two situations, one with a sign and trade and one without. You are replying to a hypothetical where he signs before a trade.

Reactions: JKinCLE

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
ok fine, but at least a guy who seems willing to bail on a team that looks like it is headed in the right direction because he wants to play near a body of water? sounds like he is more interested in the off ice stuff than the on ice stuff, again not really a guy who sounds like he is going to go to battle for you in those games in mid April and beyond

Players can't win. They join a championship roster super team just to get a championship (Warriors, Patriots) and it's "Oh you couldn't win where you were and you just want to win." They go someplace for off the field reasons and it's "You don't care about winning."

Indentured servitude ended. Teams can trade players, walk away from arbitration, decide not to sign a draft pick, waive a player, buyout a player, ask a player to waive a no trade clause.... apparently all that is ok, but a player exercising any of their rights means they are "me first".

My question to that is: Well who isn't me first, and why would anyone be anything but? Howard Roarke would hate sports fans who demand athletes live altruistically for fickle fans who will beg for the guy to waive his NTC the second he's no longer useful.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Eberle is a complementary player. With a linemate driving the bus, Ebs is a good scorer, but absent that he's probably not anymore useful than the plentiful group of second-line types that the Jackets already have. That and he might not get past Torts. There's uncertainty with all of them, but Lee, Bailey, and Beauvillier are all better targets.

You're supposed to assume it, it's a hypothetical. None of us know if Panarin would be willing to extend for the Isles, so we game out two situations, one with a sign and trade and one without. You are replying to a hypothetical where he signs before a trade.

How about a hypothetical where he says he only wants to play for the NYI and won't sign anywhere else? What's his value then?

The only thing we can deal in is the reality that he won't sign an extension in CBS, he says he won't negotiate with anyone after the next few weeks, and his contract is up at the end of the year. I know it hurts that this means he doesn't get as much value as you'd like, but that's reality. If he comes out and says he wants to sign with team(s) X then that's a different reality. No reason to deal in hypotheticals.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How about a hypothetical where he says he only wants to play for the NYI and won't sign anywhere else?

Yes, that is a hypothetical, just probably not as interesting to talk about because it leads to a situation where the Islanders wouldn't trade anything for him. Not worth spilling a lot of ink for something that obvious.

What's his value then?

Less.

The only thing we can deal in is the reality that he won't sign an extension in CBS, he says he won't negotiate with anyone after the next few weeks, and his contract is up at the end of the year. I know it hurts that this means he doesn't get as much value as you'd like, but that's reality. If he comes out and says he wants to sign with team(s) X then that's a different reality. No reason to deal in hypotheticals.

Everything here is a hypothetical. Panarin deciding that he doesn't want to do a sign-and-trade is also a hypothetical. I have no idea why you are balking at this among all the hypotheticals we are constantly confronted with.

For a Jackets fan thinking through the resolution of the Panarin situation, every possible situation is a hypothetical of some kind.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I'd say the value CBJ would want back is on the order of Beauvillier (I believe Columbus would insist on him being in the deal) + Wahlstrom. That gives them a safe bet for a goal scorer *now* (I believe Tito will be a 25-35 goal scorer next year and for the next 5-6 years), and a home run swing. Obviously, NYI can't do that without knowing that Panarin would come back.

Frankly, if the shovels were in the ground for the arena I'd consider it. But as they're not yet, I wouldn't do it when Panarin is fairly likely to bolt for the Rangers. Can't have that...
LMAO good luck getting Beauvillier + Wahlstrom for a UFA to-be

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Lee+ for Panarin?

Don't know if I'd be OK with dealing futures away in a year like this(especially not our 1st rounder), but the idea of adding Panarin is pretty damn enticing.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
In the hypothetical scenario where Panarin tells NYI he'd re-sign, I'd offer

Lee or Bailey (Lee is better but isn't signed long-term)
Bellows or Ho-Sang
2nd or medium-level prospect

Can't imagine any of Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, Dobson, or 1st is on the table

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Don't say that, we heard the same thing about Buffalo and Toronto in 2015, Buffalo was seen as 3-5 years ahead, that lasted about a year and then they weren't seen as ahead anymore, in fact I would suggest to you they are now seen as about 2 years behind Toronto and all it took was ONE bounce ONE lottery win.

Point is things changes quickly, NYI get Jack Hughes, maybe Panarin, or Bobvrosky signs, if that happens they aren't behind anymore

Jack Hughes? I think you, like many here, underestimate the talent on and behind that Islanders bench. That is not a bottom feeder team.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
the title of the thread is misleading considering the writer is merely suggesting isles as good trading partner / landing spot for the breadman .

take it down a few notches man

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
the title of the thread is misleading considering the writer is merely suggesting isles as good trading partner / landing spot for the breadman .

take it down a few notches man

sheesh. The title isn't that misleading...

spec·u·la·tion -
noun - the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Just trying to pass the time on a slow Friday at work man. Like 99.9% of trade threads on hf, it's probably not gonna happen. Since we get the vibe there are only a few cities he'd be interested in signing long term, New York being one of them, its not as bad as most threads. Not to mention Custance is a pretty solid name in the hockey world.

Was just putting out feelers as to what a potential trade for Panarin could look like from Isles fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad