Speculation: Panarin to Isles

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
In an interview on Craig Custance's Full 60 podcast, his prediction is the Islanders make a play for Panarin.

*right around the 9:40 mark*

By now everyone knows the rumors of Panarin's desire for big city/body of water/modeling opportunities (JK).

Isles get their offensive replacement for Tavares and have pieces to make a move.

What could a realistic offer look like assuming you're getting Panarin for 7+ years.

Ho-Sang/Wahlstrom + Eberle +1st?

What do Isles fans think of putting a package together for a signed Panarin?

(edit: just saw Eberle will be a UFA next year... so I don't even know. )

Last edited:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Well they didn't mention a desire to be competitive so I guess there's a shot..

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
For NYI, I think the above package could only work for a signed panarin (btw, huge difference between wahlstrom and ho sang). And even then I don't know if it makes since for the isle

What does CBJ need?

(Outside opinion, not a fan of either team)

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
For NYI, I think the above package could only work for a signed panarin (btw, huge difference between wahlstrom and ho sang). And even then I don't know if it makes since for the isle

What does CBJ need?

Good call. thanks for clearing that up. I'm not all that familiar with Wahlstrom, but like Ho-Sang a lot, so thats probably why I put them together in my mind.

As far as what CBJ needs, its definitely offense to replace the 80+ points we lose.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

What does CBJ need?

The Jackets need high-end offensive capability - sort of like what we've been getting from Panarin. Everything else is covered. (That's what makes this such a charlie-foxtrot.)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This makes no sense for The NYI, he can leave at the end of the year, and surely having a top player leave as a UFA is not something they can afford to happen again.

Plus there are MASSIVE holes on that roster, #1 goalie, #2 center, defense etc.

The assets it would cost could cost Jack Hughes.

If he hits UFA that's different
then there is no asset cost

Reactions: Legionnaire

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don’t see it. There’d need to be an extension and I’m convinced he’s gonna hit the open market.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The cost will hurt whether it is for a signed or unsigned Panarin.

If Panarin isn't sure about staying with an up and coming Columbus team......why would he consider the Isles, who are years behind Columbus?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

What do Isles fans think of putting a package together for a signed Panarin?

(edit: just saw Eberle will be a UFA next year... so I don't even know. )

The problem with this thinking is, that if I'm an NHL GM and it seems like Panarin is going to sign with my team, I might as well just wait and sign him. It's not like at the deadline when teams know they are in the playoff mix and have a "go for it attitude". NYI with Panarin likely aren't Cup contenders this year. No sense of giving up assets to get him.

Someone will give something for Panarin but it's likely not going to be something that makes fans here happy, and it's likely not at a "signed in new place" cost.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The cost will hurt whether it is for a signed or unsigned Panarin.

If Panarin isn't sure about staying with an up and coming Columbus team......why would he consider the Isles, who are years behind Columbus?

Don't say that, we heard the same thing about Buffalo and Toronto in 2015, Buffalo was seen as 3-5 years ahead, that lasted about a year and then they weren't seen as ahead anymore, in fact I would suggest to you they are now seen as about 2 years behind Toronto and all it took was ONE bounce ONE lottery win.

Point is things changes quickly, NYI get Jack Hughes, maybe Panarin, or Bobvrosky signs, if that happens they aren't behind anymore

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If the rumors about Panarin only wanting to play in a few places are true, it means the best thing for the Islanders is to wait until July 1st and cross our fingers he doesn't sign an extension elsewhere.

But we're not trading Wahlstrom, Dobson, or the 1st for any UFA and taking our chances that they won't leave us high and dry.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
really do not like players who bail on their team, and no that is not a shot at Tavares, just a feeling I have on those type of players in general, I always think they are a locker room cancer

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d love Panarin but I don’t think the isles are ina position to trade for him. We have the assets but the isles are better off keeps my thier young assets. The rest of the roster isn’t spectacular. The isles are building through Barzal so trading away a bunch of younger guys doesn’t make sense.

The only way I’d do it and I’m not sure CBJ would want to do it this way is to to a sign and trade with both Panarin and Eberle.

Let’s say for whatever reason Panarin doesn’t want to sign long term with CBJ but would be willing to sign with the isles.

Panarin to isles

Eberle + to CBJ

This seems highly unlikely though.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'm more inclined to wait but I'd offer Lee or Eberle plus if CBJ wants a player who might be more inclined to extend. We can't really afford to trade our 2019 first or either of our 2018 first rounders.

Reactions: goal1228

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
really do not like players who bail on their team, and no that is not a shot at Tavares, just a feeling I have on those type of players in general, I always think they are a locker room cancer
Panarin is under no obligation to re-sign with Columbus. At least he's telling them upfront and he's not forcing a move right now. It's their choice to figure out what to do about it.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Panarin is under no obligation to re-sign with Columbus. At least he's telling them upfront and he's not forcing a move right now. It's their choice to figure out what to do about it.
ok fine, but at least a guy who seems willing to bail on a team that looks like it is headed in the right direction because he wants to play near a body of water? sounds like he is more interested in the off ice stuff than the on ice stuff, again not really a guy who sounds like he is going to go to battle for you in those games in mid April and beyond

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
ok fine, but at least a guy who seems willing to bail on a team that looks like it is headed in the right direction because he wants to play near a body of water? sounds like he is more interested in the off ice stuff than the on ice stuff, again not really a guy who sounds like he is going to go to battle for you in those games in mid April and beyond

He wasn't drafted. He signed as a free agent with Chicago, traded to Columbus and spent one season there. This upcoming season will only be his 4th in North America.

I have much more respect for players like Panarin who see an opening to leave and inform their front office about it, allowing their GM to put them on the trade block and recoup assets (albeit from a contender, and not the Islanders) than players who cry and plead, "please don't trade me, I wanna re-sign I promise you just wait". It's the difference between the player putting themselves first, or understanding this is a business where players with expiring contracts get traded as rentals.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
He wasn't drafted. He signed as a free agent with Chicago, traded to Columbus and spent one season there. This upcoming season will only be his 4th in North America.

I have much more respect for players like Panarin who see an opening to leave and inform their front office about it, allowing their GM to put them on the trade block and recoup assets (albeit from a contender, and not the Islanders) than players who cry and plead, "please don't trade me, I wanna re-sign I promise you just wait". It's the difference between the player putting themselves first, or understanding this is a business where players with expiring contracts get traded as rentals.

different types of people, one is a liar and I am guessing a coward, the other is a person who does not have winning as a priority

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Wrote this on another thread:

I took a look at the stats from Columbus last year and was shocked at how little they produced up front besides Panarin. No one had more than 24 goals or 48 points who played center/wing.

If this plays out for the Isles it's got to be more of a hockey trade and less of a futures trade unless CBJ wants to do a partial rebuild, which I don't see.

I think you have to think of something like replenishing the offense for Columbus and ignoring the defense. Maybe a goalie for depth from our system too since it looks like CBJ is kind of thin in the prospect pool.

According to the stats there were only 39 Power Play Goals from the current roster last season? Is that right?

If so, I would think Lee would be more attractive than Eberle, he certainly would fit the type of player Torts likes. You could add Skarek for the prospect pool at goalie and then maybe Bailey for your first line wing (Lee/Dubois/Bailey) and maybe a sweetener like one of the Bridgeport defensemen not named Toews.

Of course, both Lee and Panarin would need to agree to extensions before this would be possible.

So maybe something like Panarin and a 2nd for Lee, Bailey, Quenneville and Skarek? Assuming signed contracts for Lee and Panarin.

-----

Panarin outscored the next CBJ forward by OVER 30 points, that's a star performance and he's worth a LOT.

The key is the extension. Then it really just becomes Lee and Bailey for Panarin and a 2nd. This keeps Barzal/Beau/Eberle together and Panarin becomes the focal point of the other Top 6 line, where he proved himself already in Columbus to be able to produce with lesser players.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given they still have Barzal and did relatively well in the draft I think Panarin wouldn't be the worst add for the Islanders in the post Tavares Islanders teams. He'd have to come with an extension of course but this would be a good move for them IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad