Proposal: Panarin to Boston because I’m bored

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Just for the hell of it and Panarin to Boston was floated around a bit ago.

This is assuming Columbus know he won’t sign in the offseason and Boston knows he’ll extend.

I’ll start with:

Marchand
Donato
2nd

For

Panarin
Anderson

Boston adds a little heavy to the lineup. Columbus has lots already

Columbus adds a little skill. Boston has lots already.

Tried to replace a RW for Anderson, Donato can play both as far as I know.

Let the gms figure out the cap part. That’s their job. We are fans. Dumb speculation is ours.

Screw around with the draft picks all you want.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Terrible for Boston. They’re giving up the better winger who will shortly have the better contract.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah Marchand is on a steal of a contract. The on ice value is about the same, but Boston lights a bunch of money on fire in moving from Marchand's 6.125(!) AAV to whatever Panarin is going to get.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I mean, it's more than fair value to Columbus, so kudos there. But I'd say Marchand is just as skilled as Panarin, so why would you do this? What areas would Panarin improve for the Bruins over Marchand? I don't watch a ton of games in the East so maybe I'm just being ignorant here.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, it's more than fair value to Columbus, so kudos there. But I'd say Marchand is just as skilled as Panarin, so why would you do this? What areas would Panarin improve over the Bruins over Marchand? I don't watch a ton of games in the East so maybe I'm just being ignorant here.
Biggest reason for me is age.

I like Marchand. I think he’ll be competitive throughout his contract. But he’s 4 years older than Panarin who has a longer window ahead of him.

While Bruins fans are loath to admit it, and I do too, some of their fan faves are getting long in the tooth in hockey life expectancy

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Biggest reason for me is age.

I like Marchand. I think he’ll be competitive throughout his contract. But he’s 4 years older than Panarin who has a longer window ahead of him.

While Bruins fans are loath to admit it, and I do too, some of their fan faves are getting long in the tooth in hockey life expectancy

I guess age is a pretty big thing to consider. Though Marchand seems to just be hitting his stride now at age 30, and I have a strong feeling he'll be going strong until he's 35 or so. You never know for sure, but I just get that strong impression from him with how fit he keeps himself and his strong mentality. I really think the Bruins are just better off keeping him and try to compete for the next few years, and if they fall to the bottom half of the standings in his last or second last signed season then deal him for a much younger top prospect or some high picks. I doubt Panarin will be much better than Marchand in 4-6 seasons, so I just don't see the impetus to make this deal for them.

Reactions: avsfan09

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Josh Anderson is not just a throw in. I think Marchand for Panarin is pretty fair. Donato and a 2nd for Anderson sounds ok too.

But I still don't think the Bruins do this.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I didn't realize the Bruins had Marchard on such a steal of a contract.

This thread was worth finding that out alone, LOL

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah Marchand is on a steal of a contract. The on ice value is about the same, but Boston lights a bunch of money on fire in moving from Marchand's 6.125(!) AAV to whatever Panarin is going to get.
Don’t you have a feeling they’re going to dump some money next year though? Backes specifically is a lot easier to move then. Krejci too if I remember right.

Does Chara really need 5 million again?

Ya Panarin will cost more than any other forward on their roster. I would think Kucherov is the bar. In reality though, aside from rfa’s they don’t have any other pressing signings coming up in the next several years.

If they were going to take on a big contract I think it starting next season would work fine.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, it's more than fair value to Columbus, so kudos there. But I'd say Marchand is just as skilled as Panarin, so why would you do this? What areas would Panarin improve for the Bruins over Marchand?

Age and discipline. Marchand can have a ten cent head and take stupid penalties, dumb suspensions and can be selfish when the emotions overwhelm him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don’t you have a feeling they’re going to dump some money next year though? Backes specifically is a lot easier to move then. Krejci too if I remember right.

Does Chara really need 5 million again?

Ya Panarin will cost more than any other forward on their roster. I would think Kucherov is the bar. In reality though, aside from rfa’s they don’t have any other pressing signings coming up in the next several years.

If they were going to take on a big contract I think it starting next season would work fine.

Its a lot of RFAs, though. Just think that best way to be competitive is to have as many good value contracts as possible. Marchand at 3 million less than Panarin is going to get is pretty sweet.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Id be more interested in a deal around Donato that doesnt involve Panarin. As much as everyone wants to make Panarin deals because they think their team can get him for pennies saying "you dont get more then this for a rental" when the CBJ dont trade him unsigned unless they are grossly overpaid. The OP DID NOT DO THAT to clarify Im sure the value is very close I just dont want Marchand playing for a team in my state if there was a 2nd one let alone my team. I dont respect him as a person let alone a player. There are some guys like John Scott who on the oce was a goon but off the ice I had tons of respect for him. Marchand unless he has some crazy come to god moment where he changes everything about his life just isnt ever going to be that guy.

So since Panarin is going to sign here or walk after the year thats above 90% evident... what are the bruins looking for in Donato? The OP suggests Donato and a 2nd for Anderson. Im willing to give that thought or see if someone else has another base.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Id be more interested in a deal around Donato that doesnt involve Panarin. As much as everyone wants to make Panarin deals because they think their team can get him for pennies saying "you dont get more then this for a rental" when the CBJ dont trade him unsigned unless they are grossly overpaid. The OP DID NOT DO THAT to clarify Im sure the value is very close I just dont want Marchand playing for a team in my state if there was a 2nd one let alone my team. I dont respect him as a person let alone a player. There are some guys like John Scott who on the oce was a goon but off the ice I had tons of respect for him. Marchand unless he has some crazy come to god moment where he changes everything about his life just isnt ever going to be that guy.

So since Panarin is going to sign here or walk after the year thats above 90% evident... what are the bruins looking for in Donato? The OP suggests Donato and a 2nd for Anderson. Im willing to give that thought or see if someone else has another base.

I wouldn't pay that for Anderson. Don't think he gets moved until they see what he does this year at least.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wouldn't pay that for Anderson. Don't think he gets moved until they see what he does this year at least.
I figured some BOS wouldnt be as high on Anderson and personally I want to selfishly keep Anderson because the guy is a winner at all levels jr/AHL/etc. Since he has been on the big club we havent missed the playoffs.

Did you mean Donato stays until he has a full season to determine value to the team?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I figured some BOS wouldnt be as high on Anderson and personally I want to selfishly keep Anderson because the guy is a winner at all levels jr/AHL/etc. Since he has been on the big club we havent missed the playoffs.

Did you mean Donato stays until he has a full season to determine value to the team?

Yes. Partly due to when you convince the kids to leave college early you can poison the well by moving them too quickly.

Ontop of that 9 points in his first 12 games warrants a longer look. He struggled in the playoffs, but a lot of young players do.

As for the Anderson making playoffs thing. Meh. You can remove players and keep Anderson and they miss, he isn’t the key piece un the equation.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yes. Partly due to when you convince the kids to leave college early you can poison the well by moving them too quickly.

Ontop of that 9 points in his first 12 games warrants a longer look. He struggled in the playoffs, but a lot of young players do.

As for the Anderson making playoffs thing. Meh. You can remove players and keep Anderson and they miss, he isn’t the key piece un the equation.
Sure but there are players you can take off the pens and caps that arent ovi and syd and they miss. The way he plays makes people play harder. His teammates and Torts have said as much. His rookie year he just missed 20 goals and that was without ever playing above the 3rd line or getting any pp time. All his goals were even strength. Last year he hit 19 goals after he missed all camp and the 1st game and missed 20ish games do to injury and Im pretty sure all but 1 of those were even strength. The guy is a physical presence out there and he has suprising speed and finish for a guy his size and play style.

And to add about Donato I get the leaving college early part but if he left it was more so about him feeling ready then him being talked out of college because the team desperately needed him. He played fantastic to start but I think a lot of that had to deal with the bruins having injuries at that point and he was playing up higher in the lineup thwn he would have if I remember correctly. His first game was against us I think.

What are you thinking his high end is or a player you think he plays like?

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
As a Tampa fan, where do I sign? Get the nose out of the division.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As a Tampa fan, where do I sign? Get the nose out of the division.
As a Leafs fan I'd also gladly sign off on that nose attached to a body getting out of the division. Marchand is a great player and also happens to be the best pest in the league. He's also in his prime. The Bruins aren't run by PC anymore, he's not going anywhere.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
^^^So you want the biggest pest in the league on a torts run team? The way people see Torts I should say not the real Torts. The Torts that Pitt fans think exists haha

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I get the feeling that the Bruins aren't considering moving Marchand. Didn't Columbus also say they are not trading Panarin?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I get the feeling that the Bruins aren't considering moving Marchand. Didn't Columbus also say they are not trading Panarin?
They have said their priority is signing him and when asked about Panarins self imposed deadline of not talking past the start of camp they said in their line of work their is no stopping point of contract talks until the player signs or signs somesomewhere else.

Reactions: WJCJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad