Proposal: Panarin to Boston because I’m bored

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This is junk, complete junk.

Marchand for Panarin straight up is bad, due to contract status.

Why are they adding Donato AND a 2nd? For Josh Anderson? Yikes.
I’ll bite why not.

Anderson is an established nhler who would fill a need for Boston. Namely size that can play in the middle six who’s name isn’t Backes and skates like I do.

Donato has a dozen nhl contest under his belt including some playoff benchings. He might be good someday sure. But that’s true in every trade.

As for the 2nd rounder it’d be closer to a 3rd if the Bruins are as good as we think. That player is realistically 3-4years away from playing for them. Thats a concern now? We could all be dead by then.

Now, assuming we survive the apocalypse, Panarin will/should be a better player than Marchand in 3-4 years. Whatever he signs for today will be more cap friendly going forward.

They don’t need to worry about ufa’s for several years if their roster stays the same. They have none coming up that will get big raises. Backes will be gone. If management had its way I’d imagine Krejci might be too.

As for their comparisons today how much are you giving up losing Marchand and getting Panarin? A few standings points? Maybe gain some with fewer penalties and or 5 game suspensions? Tough to say!

Edit in case you missed it, I said signed Panarin. Obviously not today’s contract

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I’ll bite why not.

Anderson is an established nhler who would fill a need for Boston. Namely size that can play in the middle six who’s name isn’t Backes and skates like I do.

Donato has a dozen nhl contest under his belt including some playoff benchings. He might be good someday sure. But that’s true in every trade.

As for the 2nd rounder it’d be closer to a 3rd if the Bruins are as good as we think. That player is realistically 3-4years away from playing for them. Thats a concern now? We could all be dead by then.

Now, assuming we survive the apocalypse, Panarin will/should be a better player than Marchand in 3-4 years. Whatever he signs for today will be more cap friendly going forward.

They don’t need to worry about ufa’s for several years if their roster stays the same. They have none coming up that will get big raises. Backes will be gone. If management had its way I’d imagine Krejci might be too.

As for their comparisons today how much are you giving up losing Marchand and getting Panarin? A few standings points? Maybe gain some with fewer penalties and or 5 game suspensions? Tough to say!

Edit in case you missed it, I said signed Panarin. Obviously not today’s contract

I think the main point is that Panarin has one year left on his deal, GMs do not trade signed stars for one year players and then add a very good prospect and a pick. The value of Marchand at $6.15 million per season until 2025-2026 is a lot more than the value of Panarin at $6 million until the end of the season. On top of that, even if they re-sign him it will probably be upwards of $9 million per season.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think the main point is that Panarin has one year left on his deal, GMs do not trade signed stars for one year players and then add a very good prospect and a pick. The value of Marchand at $6.15 million per season until 2025-2026 is a lot more than the value of Panarin at $6 million until the end of the season. On top of that, even if they re-sign him it will probably be upwards of $9 million per season.
Ya man. See the edit.

Of course it’s for an extension. And of course it can’t be ludicrous.

If he gets Kucherov money or thereabouts, I’d think Boston can make some room.

Wouldn’t you rather have Panarin at 9 and change over Backes at 6? I would every day of the week. And I’m one of the Boston is getting too soft crowd!

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
As for the 2nd rounder it’d be closer to a 3rd if the Bruins are as good as we think.
No, the 2nd rounder will be far closer to being a 2nd rounder than a 3rd rounder.

Now, assuming we survive the apocalypse, Panarin will/should be a better player than Marchand in 3-4 years.
Why is a fan of a team that rolls out Chara, Bergeron and Krejci looking so eagerly to sap the skill of its current roster in order to solidify a team that won't have those guys anymore? The Bruins are and absolutely should be in contender mode. Removing their best offensive player and replacing him with someone who will be better 3-4 seasons down the line is not something contenders should be entertaining.

And what is your obsession with Backes in all of this? If angst over Backes' contract is your motivation for all this, propose a trade for him and leave Marchand out of it.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Ya man. See the edit.

Of course it’s for an extension. And of course it can’t be ludicrous.

If he gets Kucherov money or thereabouts, I’d think Boston can make some room.

Wouldn’t you rather have Panarin at 9 and change over Backes at 6? I would every day of the week. And I’m one of the Boston is getting too soft crowd!

Of course I would rather have Panarin than Backes but that deal is not there. If we are going to say that Panarin is re-signed then why don't we also say that Donato is a 70 point player? Neither is true but both could happen. If Panarin is signed I think Columbus would just keep him. They would trade him if they can't re-sign him.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
No, the 2nd rounder will be far closer to being a 2nd rounder than a 3rd rounder.

Why is a fan of a team that rolls out Chara, Bergeron and Krejci looking so eagerly to sap the skill of its current roster in order to solidify a team that won't have those guys anymore? The Bruins are and absolutely should be in contender mode. Removing their best offensive player and replacing him with someone who will be better 3-4 seasons down the line is not something contenders should be entertaining.

And what is your obsession with Backes in all of this? If angst over Backes' contract is your motivation for all this, propose a trade for him and leave Marchand out of it.
Lol dude I’m not the gm, relax. Is Marchand a relative?

Marchand is more skilled than Panarin today sure. By a lot? I don’t think so. As he declines, and he will, Panarin could still be getting better. Maybe as early as this season, who knows.

As for Backes being a concern I was only mentioning him because he can be moved easier next year if cap is an issue.

If it were up to me I’d dump him and Krejci next year. Chara too if he won’t play for peanuts. Zero chance he should be getting 5 million per again.

Anyway, the point was to extend their window. If I’m wrong I’m wrong. I don’t think they should go down the road their past gm did and hold on to guys too long though. Trade em when they have value. Not when your dumping them overboard.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Of course I would rather have Panarin than Backes but that deal is not there. If we are going to say that Panarin is re-signed then why don't we also say that Donato is a 70 point player? Neither is true but both could happen. If Panarin is signed I think Columbus would just keep him. They would trade him if they can't re-sign him.

The proposal is a hypothetical where Boston knows they can sign Panarin, perhaps a sign-and-trade like Pacioretty to Vegas, Turris to Nashville, etc.. where they worked out the terms before the trade.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The proposal is a hypothetical where Boston knows they can sign Panarin, perhaps a sign-and-trade like Pacioretty to Vegas, Turris to Nashville, etc.. where they worked out the terms before the trade.

I get that, I say Donato is a hypothetical 70 point player too. If you are going to throw out hypotheticals on one player why not be accepting of them for other players? This deal is for a player with one year left who has far less value because of that. Maybe Donato is only a 50 point player and maybe Panarin wants to test the free agent market, either way he is going to be getting a big raise over his current salary,

So who would you want, Marchand at $6.15 milion per season or Panarin at somewhere around $9 million per season if he was to re-sign? I like Panarin but even in that scenario I would prefer that the Bruins just keep their own guys.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Marchand is worth more than that alone, steal of a contract, best agitator in the league, top 5 winger in the league in terms of skill/production.

Marchand has a lot of positives, but some negatives as well, that Panarin doesn't have. And are you sure, Marchand would have been as good, playing with players Panarin played with? I personally am not...

But Boston won't do the trade just because Panarin rejects to sign a long term contract there.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Boston does not trade for great players, the current regime simply does not believe in it to date.....They do trade for mediocre players and sign them as FAs......They only trade great players usually for less value then the one they are trading for. They do pass on great players in the draft.

They rely on players to come up from Providence. And hope...They will wait years, great players will have careers pass while waiting to be complimented by other players who can help them win....

We get the Stempniaks, the Winniks, The Halaks, the Moores, Liles, Staffords,Hayes, Rinaldo's..... lets not forget Beleskey.................They have no problem signing bums......What they do have a problem with is recognizing winning talent and then offering the winning bid.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would be shocked if Panarin agrees to a sign and trade. Guy seemingly cares more about reaching free agency and seeing all of his suitors than he does winning the Stanley Cup.

Also, I doubt Boston moves Marchand.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Boston does not trade for great players, the current regime simply does not believe in it to date.....They do trade for mediocre players and sign them as FAs......They only trade great players usually for less value then the one they are trading for. They do pass on great players in the draft.

They rely on players to come up from Providence. And hope...They will wait years, great players will have careers pass while waiting to be complimented by other players who can help them win....

We get the Stempniaks, the Winniks, The Halaks, the Moores, Liles, Staffords,Hayes, Rinaldo's..... lets not forget Beleskey.................They have no problem signing bums......What they do have a problem with is recognizing winning talent and then offering the winning bid.

The Bruins were floundering less than 3 years ago and in that time Sweeney has done a very good job at turning the team around. They definitely missed on a couple of picks but so has every single other team. This is the year where they have the ammunition to make a big trade and are in a position to be a contender, the first time that has happened since Sweeney took over in my opinion. He went out and got Nash last trade deadline, that is the biggest deadline trade I have seen them make since Kaberle.

This is the year to make that big trade but that big trade is not trading one of their best players, it is trading prospects/picks/lesser players for a legit impact player.

Sweeney stated what he was going to do when he took over, he has stuck to his plan and the team is better for it. He has made the team faster and better at transition but only now are we seeing the lines possibly get filled out with players playing in their appropriate spots in the lineup. Now, whoever doesn't make the team can be used as trade bait unless they decide that they value one of the prospects too much to trade.

If they do nothing then they didn't do a good job but I see this as the first time since Sweeney has been in charge that they actually should make that kind of deal. I'm not going to negatively judge Sweeney on his entire GM career in a less than a 3 year period where he already seems to have turned the team around and has them on the verge of being a legit contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad