Panarin officially earns max bonuses again, costing Hawks $2.575 mil in cap space

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
You can't blame him for going for it... if you were nineteen years old again and had a chance to get an extra two million dollars, you'd totally do the same. Aw, to be young again...

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So he's going to be a nearly 8 million dollar man next year, effectively? Wow. I mean, he's good, and he's earned his money, but that is a heck of a cap increase compared to what he was at on the current contract.

Compared to the other guys in that price range like Nash, Perry, Giroux, Voracek, Parise, Spezza and Ryan yeah I think he's worth it.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Tough to get mad about someone getting paid for being much better than expected. That's what the bonuses are there for. Now, that probably means no Panik for next year, unless he is open for a similar deal than Kruger got. That's about it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They went even further. Q went public the week before acknowledging the team's goal to get Panarin his bonus. For the past month, Panarin was ALWAYS on the ice during empty net situations with Kane. And note, Kane never took a game off even after the Hawks clinched the Western Conference. The entire team kept feeding Panarin ... to our chagrin (Hawk fans for selfish reasons).

This is great behaviour by the coach and others involved.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
What a joke. He's having a 6million cap hit for only 2 years, while Kuch is having a 4.17mill for 3 years, Forsberg is having the same cap hit for 6 years, and Tarasenko is having a 7.5mil cap hit for 8 years. Yet none of those players require a Kane like player and are better defensively.

Oh boy. This is going to go far

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
Another greedy Russian only in it for the money. Good Canadian kids do what's best for the team, not hurt it like this.

I'm passionately patriotic about Canada, to the point where I have hoped for injuries to the top non-Canadian players on my favourite teams when a major international event draws near. But you can't generalize an entire nationality, especially when your statement is without substance.

He's not in it for the money more than anyone else; he's playing hockey, to the level in which he matched bonus requirements previously agreed upon between himself and the organization. Clearly, this means that the organization believed he would be worth x amount of money for x amount of production.

Also, it's tough to say anything about Russians being only in it for the money after the ridiculously cheap deal that Kucherov signed. In all fairness, he should be making upwards of 8.5 m/year, and he's making half that to allow his GM to keep the team's core together.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
sucks for the team next year but good for him getting his money. Two years in a row top 10 forward in points. Stans gunna stan and they hawks will be just fine.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
So he's going to be a nearly 8 million dollar man next year, effectively? Wow. I mean, he's good, and he's earned his money, but that is a heck of a cap increase compared to what he was at on the current contract.

You can't really look at cap overages that way. He's a $6M man next year, period, and properly valued. There's a carryover from this season, but if they hadn't spent to the cap, they could have covered some or all of it this year. Panarin's still a steal at $3.3875, and the carryover means the Hawks can spend more at other positions this year.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
You can't really look at cap overages that way. He's a $6M man next year, period, and properly valued. There's a carryover from this season, but if they hadn't spent to the cap, they could have covered some or all of it this year. Panarin's still a steal at $3.3875, and the carryover means the Hawks can spend more at other positions this year.
Besides, if he's an $8m man next year, it means he's an $800k man this year. It all evens out at the end. Can't get a player of Panarin's caliber for free.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The impact of Panarin hitting his bonuses probably means the Hawks won't re-sign Panik who is RFA and had a nice breakout season. Panik's cap hit is $875K and he will probably get a $2M raise based on the numbers he put up this season. So Stan will trade him for something and an ELC player will take his place in the lineup (DeBrincat?).

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
The impact of Panarin hitting his bonuses probably means the Hawks won't re-sign Panik who is RFA and had a nice breakout season. Panik's cap hit is $875K and he will probably get a $2M raise based on the numbers he put up this season. So Stan will trade him for something and an ELC player will take his place in the lineup (DeBrincat?).

Panik loves it in Chicago though, including the free breakfasts! He always goes on about it in interviews. And Chicago was the team that took a chance on him and put him in a position to succeed after Tampa and Toronto gave up on him. I know I know wishful thinking, but maybe he'll take a discount to stay. He's RFA after all, not UFA.

Regardless, I wish Hawks fans would postpone the salary cap hell discussion until the offseason. The Hawks have one goal in mind right now and cap hits are irrelevant for the moment.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Compared to the other guys in that price range like Nash, Perry, Giroux, Voracek, Parise, Spezza and Ryan yeah I think he's worth it.

I'm not sure I'd say he's worth 8 million, but he's definitely worth the 6 million dollar contract they have him on, which is what really matters. None of those other guys are worth 8 million per year, but such is the price of signing a UFA eligible player.

Sure, he's getting paid 6 million next year, but the cap hit because of his new contract and the overages from this year will be around 8 million. It's really not that different than a buyout, in that it's a fee your paying (painfully, against the cap) during a season that you're not getting anything extra out of it. I'm not even saying it wasn't worth it, because Panarin's great production is totally worth it, but it is very much the equivalent of him costing roughly 800k this year, and 8 million next year. So yeah, you can very much look at it as an equivalency. It wouldn't be that way if the Hawks were not a cap team, but they are.

Note that I'm not saying his contract is an 8 million per year contract, just that next season (only) it will be as though it is. I don't think that's revolutionary to say.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Could make a similar argument that Panarin's cap hit next season is $7.25m and Campbell's is $750k of dead space if not re-signed.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Blackhawks should have made him earn the bonuses by winning the Conn Smythe :sarcasm:

On a serious note, nice gesture by coach Q and the Blackhawks. Also big props to Kane who was the only core player to not sit a game in quest for Panarin's bonuses after the Hawks clinched.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks should have players that aren't good. Then they won't need to trade salary every summer because one of their players was top 10 in league scoring.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's going to be some rough years coming when Keith/Hossa/Seabrook slow down and they're signed forever. Add in $10.5M for 55-60pts from Toews and it won't be pretty.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does it really suck, though? In my opinion, those bonuses are worth every penny for the team

I think it's rather a matter of "just suck it up", because the franchises generally are not shy in selling tickets and jerseys with the bonus-eligible players on ELCs who are capable of ending the season in or near the league top 10 of position in G/A/P/PperGP. The base salary for the entry-level players is artificially extremely capped by the CBA as is so the bonuses really mean more fair salary for them especially as there are some who are the face of the franchise from the get-go.

Generally these are the top draftees though, so it's probably no accident that there are the unofficial $2M, $1.8M, $1.6M... Schedule B bonus tiers for the 1OA, 2 OA, 3,OA... Panarin for obvious reasons is not so much the face for the Hawks, but it is what it is. You get "individually negotiated bonuses" on your ELC if you have the negotiation power to make it happen, but anyone can go ask the $2.85M-bonuses-on-his-ELC man Jimmy Vesey how much he actually got in his "A" and "B" bonuses ($0, I think).

Jack Eichel I think got $637.500 from clearing the "A" categories of Goals, P/GP and team top 6 forward in ToI, missing the Assists only by 2 and Points only by 3. The team prolly got a lot more than their money's worth out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad