Panarin officially earns max bonuses again, costing Hawks $2.575 mil in cap space

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to Capfriendly, they aren't that bad right now. 3.35M available with 19 players assigned to their roster. If that hasn't taken into account Panarin's bonus, they'll only have roughly 800k remaining which would only get them up to a 20 man roster.

Extend Darling, trade Crawford? Probably saves them about 3M of cap space.

icebluuu

May 15, 2011
It's relevant because Panarin's bridge shouldn't be the same cap hit as Forsberg's, nor the higher than Kuch and only a little bit lower than Tarasenko, despite the fact that Panarin is more team mate dependent on offense, is the weakest defensively out of the four, and is nearing his offensive prime (27-29 years old for wingers I believe).

Both Forsberg and, especially, Kucherov are on some really good deals. Forsberg I would way is comparable to Panarin. Kucherov's deal is honestly ridiculous considering this season. Can't say much about Tarasenko, but 1,5 million is quite the difference.

Also, Panarin came in and scored 70 points right off the bat. Hard to really negotiate away from that.

Nov 24, 2006
Oh I agree. Scratching him/playing games with the cap would make it harder to attract young UFAs, be they college or Russian. This is good PR. We let him play in a meaningless game and he made 2 million bucks because of it.

Didn't Eichel just lose $2.0 million in his last game because of someone nudging him out of the top 10 in some category?

Panarin should give half to Eichel. It's only fair. :sarcasm:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ntract-bonus-blackhawks-salary-cap-space-2017

I didn't see a thread about this yet. Blackhawks are (yet again) going to have to deal with salary cap hell in the offseason. Hawks have barely any cap space remaining so that 2.575 mil is gonna go on to next year's cap... when Panarin's salary goes up to 6 million.

It's interesting that the goal Panarin scored in the last game against LA is what clinched it for him. If he didn't score that, he would have finished 11th among forwards, behind Tarasenko and Wheeler.

So Panarin´s cap hit next season is 6 million+2,575 million= 8,575?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
According to Capfriendly, they aren't that bad right now. 3.35M available with 19 players assigned to their roster. If that hasn't taken into account Panarin's bonus, they'll only have roughly 800k remaining which would only get them up to a 20 man roster.

That doesn't include Panarin nor Campbell's bonuses. So as of right now the Hawks are at $36k remaining next season with 19 players signed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would genuinely fire my agent if I was Kucherov.

Absolutely. It's not small thing to cost your client millions of dollars. Kucherov was worth more than that when he signed and is worth WAYYY more now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Chicago will just move Kruger in another camp dump trade or buy him out, freeing up some crucial cap space.

They could also look to trade Crawford to one of the many teams looking for a new #1, and extend Darling at half the price on a prove-it contract.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Hawks are the model franchise. I'm sure they are angry that their hidden gem they unearthed is a top 10 scorer. Hell, you want Panarin to hit his bonuses it just means he played at an elite level.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
What a joke. He's having a 6million cap hit for only 2 years, while Kuch is having a 4.17mill for 3 years, Forsberg is having the same cap hit for 6 years, and Tarasenko is having a 7.5mil cap hit for 8 years. Yet none of those players require a Kane like player and are better defensively.

Calling Panarin the weakest defensively out of those players is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Well, if history has taught us anything, it's that the Blackhawks never manage to navigate cap hell successfully....

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Would you agree that Hossa/Keith locked in on cap-circumventing deals is much more advantageous than having Zetterberg/Franzen?

How is Duncan Keith a circumventing deal? I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. He's going to play out his deal.

Now Hossa ... you have a point. However, the NHL moved the goal posts after they messed up on the CBA. That's not the Hawks fault. Thankfully, Hossa doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon. Who knows ... he's also had legitimate back issues in recent times.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Would you agree that Hossa/Keith locked in on cap-circumventing deals is much more advantageous than having Zetterberg/Franzen?

Huh? Of course it is. Whose fault is that? That seems to be part of managing the cap, signing the best players to long-term reasonable AAV deals.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

Kruger will be taken by Vegas. He is the best player available. The cap is supposed to go to 75 too.

I could also see Crow or Seabrook traded as well.

Even if they don't trade one of the core the Hawks will have 6-7M to work with.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What a joke. He's having a 6million cap hit for only 2 years, while Kuch is having a 4.17mill for 3 years, Forsberg is having the same cap hit for 6 years, and Tarasenko is having a 7.5mil cap hit for 8 years. Yet none of those players require a Kane like player and are better defensively.

Mad at Panarin's agent for getting so much? Or Kucherov and Forsberg's agents for getting so little?

In the end, all these guys are gonna be living pretty comfortably. And both Kucherov and Forsberg will get their shot to cash in big time down the road, and contracts like Panarin's help strengthen their case in their next negotiations.

Hard to get mad about Tarasenko's, because 7.5M AAV is currently the most expensive 2nd contract in the league, about to be tied with Ekblad (although, may get blown away by McDavid right away).

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mad at Panarin's agent for getting so much? Or Kucherov and Forsberg's agents for getting so little?

In the end, all these guys are gonna be living pretty comfortably. And both Kucherov and Forsberg will get their shot to cash in big time down the road, and contracts like Panarin's help strengthen their case in their next negotiations.

Hard to get mad about Tarasenko's, because 7.5M AAV is currently the most expensive 2nd deal in the league, along with Ekblad.

Ovechkin? Or are you just talking about ones after they changed the max contract length?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ntract-bonus-blackhawks-salary-cap-space-2017

I didn't see a thread about this yet. Blackhawks are (yet again) going to have to deal with salary cap hell in the offseason. Hawks have barely any cap space remaining so that 2.575 mil is gonna go on to next year's cap... when Panarin's salary goes up to 6 million.

It's interesting that the goal Panarin scored in the last game against LA is what clinched it for him. If he didn't score that, he would have finished 11th among forwards, behind Tarasenko and Wheeler.

HA! Take that, Chicago! :naughty:

Syek

Dec 16, 2008
Canada
Pretty impressive for a guy a 42 year old, who is just coming off a Calder Trophy win last season.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hawk's just make a bad trade to get rid of someone for nothing but the cap space but end up better by signing some undrafted kid that turns into a worldbeater or trading for someone else's prospect that didn't amount to much for them but turns into a 20-goal scorer for us.

Blackhawks way.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So he's going to be a nearly 8 million dollar man next year, effectively? Wow. I mean, he's good, and he's earned his money, but that is a heck of a cap increase compared to what he was at on the current contract.

Remember when it was the Red Wings who would ALWAYS restock with top-shelf talent?

To be fair, the Red Wings were pretty successful at that for around 20 years before it started falling apart. I'm sure Blackhawks fans would love to get 20+ years of playoffs. Eventually the bottom falls out for every team, it's just a matter of holding that at bay as long as possible, and they've been quite good at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad