Panarin officially earns max bonuses again, costing Hawks $2.575 mil in cap space

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ntract-bonus-blackhawks-salary-cap-space-2017

I didn't see a thread about this yet. Blackhawks are (yet again) going to have to deal with salary cap hell in the offseason. Hawks have barely any cap space remaining so that 2.575 mil is gonna go on to next year's cap... when Panarin's salary goes up to 6 million.

It's interesting that the goal Panarin scored in the last game against LA is what clinched it for him. If he didn't score that, he would have finished 11th among forwards, behind Tarasenko and Wheeler.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ntract-bonus-blackhawks-salary-cap-space-2017

I didn't see a thread about this yet. Blackhawks are (yet again) going to have to deal with salary cap hell in the offseason. Hawks have barely any cap space remaining so that 2.575 mil is gonna on to next year's cap... when Panarin's salary goes up to 6 million.

It's interesting that the goal Panarin scored in the last game against LA is what clinched it for him. If he didn't score that, he would have finished 11th among forwards, behind Tarasenko and Wheeler.

Heh - kind of funny. But imagine how pissed he would have been if they scratched him that last game.

Is he already under contract for next season or is he an RFA?

Edit: Anyway - as far as scheduling goes, this year is their Cup year and next year is their off year, so no big deal. They can get it figured out before their next scheduled Cup.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Heh - kind of funny. But imagine how pissed he would have been if they scratched him that last game.

Is he already under contract for next season or is he an RFA?

Edit: Anyway - as far as scheduling goes, this year is their Cup year and next year is their off year, so no big deal. They can get it figured out before their next scheduled Cup.

They've got him signed for two more seasons at $6M per.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's a reason FAs will sign with the Hawks. It stinks for the short term, but the mgmt. doesn't screw around with their players, especially when it comes to money. The players trust management. It helps set a good culture in the lockerroom.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's a reason FAs will sign with the Hawks. It stinks for the short term, but the mgmt. doesn't screw around with their players, especially when it comes to money. The players trust management. It helps set a good culture in the lockerroom.

Oh I agree. Scratching him/playing games with the cap would make it harder to attract young UFAs, be they college or Russian. This is good PR. We let him play in a meaningless game and he made 2 million bucks because of it.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015

It was the happiest I have ever seen him look after scoring a goal, and why not, since it secured him an additional $1.725 million.

tumblr_oo49r8tKgS1ugpe8io1_500.gif

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What a joke. He's having a 6million cap hit for only 2 years, while Kuch is having a 4.17mill for 3 years, Forsberg is having the same cap hit for 6 years, and Tarasenko is having a 7.5mil cap hit for 8 years. Yet none of those players require a Kane like player and are better defensively.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What a joke. He's having a 6million cap hit for only 2 years, while Kuch is having a 4.17mill for 3 years, Forsberg is having the same cap hit for 6 years, and Tarasenko is having a 7.5mil cap hit for 8 years. Yet none of those players require a Kane like player and are better defensively.

Huh? How is this remotely relevant? Panarin is a good player on a prove-it bridge contract. There is not a team in the league that wouldn't take Panarin on that deal.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Oh I agree. Scratching him/playing games with the cap would make it harder to attract young UFAs, be they college or Russian. This is good PR. We let him play in a meaningless game and he made 2 million bucks because of it.

They went even further. Q went public the week before acknowledging the team's goal to get Panarin his bonus. For the past month, Panarin was ALWAYS on the ice during empty net situations with Kane. And note, Kane never took a game off even after the Hawks clinched the Western Conference. The entire team kept feeding Panarin ... to our chagrin (Hawk fans for selfish reasons).

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

I would genuinely fire my agent if I was Kucherov.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Huh? How is this remotely relevant? Panarin is a good player on a prove-it bridge contract. There is not a team in the league that wouldn't take Panarin on that deal.

It's relevant because Panarin's bridge shouldn't be the same cap hit as Forsberg's, nor the higher than Kuch and only a little bit lower than Tarasenko, despite the fact that Panarin is more team mate dependent on offense, is the weakest defensively out of the four, and is nearing his offensive prime (27-29 years old for wingers I believe).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Made possible by the Keith and Hossa contracts. That advantage won't last forever.

Who says Hossa's contract will forever be on the books when his actual salary goes to a million dollars? Ohhh ... my back.The main board will be burning. :laugh:

Of course, Hossa still scored 25+ goals, still one of the better defensive / possession forwards in the League. He might play until he's 45.

In the end, I think one of the core will be traded. Perhaps Crow or Seabrook? It will be sad ... but a necessary move. Hopefully, the Hawks will have another Cup before it's done. Then reload and on to one last push with their BIG core.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
It's relevant because Panarin's bridge shouldn't be the same cap hit as Forsberg's, nor the higher than Kuch and only a little bit lower than Tarasenko, despite the fact that Panarin is more team mate dependent on offense, is the weakest defensively out of the four, and is nearing his offensive prime (27-29 years old for wingers I believe).

Panarin could have easily done the Saad thing and priced himself out of Chicago. 29 other teams would have been salivating to make him the latest Chicago cap casualty.

Instead he took a bridge for a few years to allow the Hawks to make a couple more goes at it while the core is still intact and young enough to compete.

Kucherov's contract is far below what he is worth. That's not Panarin's fault and it doesn't mean Panarin has to sign for a lower contract than Kucherov just because Kucherov's agent is a dumbass?

And Panarin's contract is quite a bit lower than Tarasenko's actually. And he is the same age, so I don't get what your comment about "nearing his offensive prime" has to do with anything.

"Team mate dependent on offense".... so because he has fantastic chemistry with Kane, Panarin is dependent on him for offense? You don't get 70+ points your first two years in the league by being a bad player, no matter who you play with.

Your comment is a joke. Panarin is a very good player in his own right.

JohnnyTightlips

May 15, 2015
Chicago
Good for Panarin, and not the worst problem to have if you’re the Hawks’ brass. Really glad Q gave Panarin every opportunity to get his bonus.

As a Hawks fan, it’d be really cruel to wish Panarin go through what Eichel is right now with him being on the outside looking in because of a measly point.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Good for Panarin, and not the worst problem to have if you’re the Hawks’ brass. Really glad Q gave Panarin every opportunity to get his bonus.

As a Hawks fan, it’d be really cruel to wish Panarin go through what Eichel is right now with him being on the outside looking in because of a measly point.

Although it's not Buffalo's fault, those kind of feelings linger when negotiations start. We're all humans ... not robots. If we cringe at the thought of a measly point, think of how the player feels?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

I didn't see a thread about this yet. Blackhawks are (yet again) going to have to deal with salary cap hell in the offseason. Hawks have barely any cap space remaining so that 2.575 mil is gonna go on to next year's cap... when Panarin's salary goes up to 6 million.

Last year was a surprise for the Hawks--they probably couldn't have even dreamed of Panarin hitting his bonuses. This time they had a full year to prepare.

JohnnyTightlips

May 15, 2015
Chicago
Although it's not Buffalo's fault, those kind of feelings linger when negotiations start. We're all humans ... not robots. If we cringe at the thought of a measly point, think of how the player feels?

Oh yeah definitely…judging from his presser yesterday, Eichel clearly isn’t the happiest camper. I too wonder if this will affect future negotiations with the Sabres.

Not only is giving Panarin the opportunity to get his bonus the right, decent thing to do, but it builds goodwill in the locker room. And as you said, it gives the organization credibility when trying to woo other free agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad