McKenzie: Panarin and Bobrovsky will meet with Florida on Monday

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
So did Ovechkin, only needed one year to turn that reputation around.

Winning the Cup is the hardest accomplishment in sports, I love how some people think its easy.
Ovie was always producing well in the playoffs, except one time. He didn't have, deservingly, a reputation of being bad in the playoffs like Bob had.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Fans of plenty of teams get this absolutely unreasonable hope that chasing and luring high-profile FAs is going to reverse the fortunes of the entire team that are obviously predicated on much more than a single player. Hockey is a team game and in a 7-game series, individual players essentially never win, teams do. Yet still, naive fans continue to fail to grasp this simple concept. Oh surely it’s gonna be the hotshot young GM (Dubas), no no it’s gonna be the wily veteran GM (Tallon) or former beloved player-turned GM (Yzerman), no it’s gonna be the smarter-than-everyone else veteran championship-winning coach (Babcock, Quenneville), oh wait no it’s gonna be the young hotshot AHL-dominating Coach (Boucher, Cooper). Surely the superstar FA (Tavares, Bob and Bread) will turn perrenial also-fans into contenders (Leafs, Panthers). Fans always think their team “deserves” something free from enduring continuous failure (Oilers).

I don’t need to try to make people look stupid they’re plenty endowed to do just that by themselves (your post to wit). What I will do is continue to revel in those teams failure and their fans salt. My team, the Capitals, were those same perrenial also-rans, until they weren’t. I never bemoaned their tribulations nor had any expectations that they deserved anything and then, who knew they went through the fire and came out katana. Who lured them there? That also-ran, Playoff loser of a Barry Trotz. Look no further then this year’s St. Louis Blues, worst to first. “Oh my god, Craig Berube can’t coach, he couldn’t even play.” Teams like the Panthers, Leafs, and Oilers seem to have an innate sense of superiority without any of the chops or experience to own it. I’ll never get tired of the tried and true pre-season and FA Championships on paper without having ever laced a single skate, they always provide those teams fans with such poorly-earned hope and opposing fans with such well-deserved gratification. You keep doing you, it’s always a delight when your reliable failure comes knocking.
haha how many times did you re-read your post and feel good about yourself?

btw, everyone is laughing at you.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ovie was always producing well in the playoffs, except one time. He didn't have, deservingly, a reputation of being bad in the playoffs like Bob had.
No he was always compared to Sidney Crosby, with the largest caveat being not being able to take his team to the promised land.

Bob plays just fine in the playoffs. And this is from a Panthers fan that is not excited about the back half of his upcoming deal.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
No he was always compared to Sidney Crosby, with the largest caveat being not being able to take his team to the promised land.

Bob plays just fine in the playoffs. And this is from a Panthers fan that is not excited about the back half of his upcoming deal.
Any reasonnable person understand that Ovie scoring over a point per game in the playoffs isn't the problem, but Bob never breaking .910 before this year is a problem for the team.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Any reasonnable person understand that Ovie scoring over a point per game in the playoffs isn't the problem, but Bob never breaking .910 before this year is a problem for the team.

Reasonable?

You are reading the thread right?

We have Caps fans upset that we might improve, thats all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The FLA vs WSH rivalry happening in this thread is interesting.

A call back to the southeast division days

Reactions: Laus723

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
It may cost us Hoffman.

Panarin in, defense in...Hoffman out.

Still a net positive.

Huberdeau Barkov Vatrano
Panarin Trocheck Dadonov

That's still better than what we had last year

If you think you are bringing in Bob and Panarin plus D you will likely lose Hoffman this year and Dadanov next year.

Reactions: CPTN71

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So did Ovechkin, only needed one year to turn that reputation around.

Winning the Cup is the hardest accomplishment in sports, I love how some people think its easy.

Did Ovechkin have a rep for going missing in the playoffs? No. Does Bob? Yes. There is a difference between winning the cup and just winning a round now and then and holding your own. Bobrovsky's playoff numbers are 3.14 and .902. Ovechkin meanwhile since 2005 has 65 goals in 128 games. The only player with more is Crosby, 66, in 164 games.

Where in my post did I say winning the cup was easy??

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
IMO, Florida expecting to win the cup with the 2 big FA’s is, I’d say, unreasonable, but not for having increased optimism and hope for greater success.
This is an entirely reasonable outlook. I will wish you the best as I would any true fan of any team that carries a passion for their team grounded in realities and reasonable expectations. My best to you.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Florida going all in here if they dont win the cup this year they are going to have to blow it up.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
i'm confused about this wall of superfluous text. maybe its the straw man, maybe its the rant comparing the panthers to the leafs. GM's will pitch their offer and panarin will take it or he won't. with or without him, we have a chance at a cup-just like STL, WSH and TOR. it may be argued that adding panarin increases the probability.

let's be clear about one thing. it's been difficult having ownership that has not been serious about winning in over 20 years and on top of that, support a team that most of the league considers irrelevant and gets just about 0 local media coverage. this is the first time in franchise history i can recall ownership putting their money where their mouth is. there is a big opportunity in south florida if they win-the heat and dolphins are trash. more than anything else, the actions of the ownership are worth getting excited for as a florida fan; they symbolize a new paradigm for this team. we don't need you to be excited about it. if you actively want us to lose because we are excited that we just might be taken seriously for once, that is your business.

just wow.
Your response is rather level-headed and therefore, quite reasonable and encouraging.

I suppose you could distill my argument in principle to this. At this past TDL Columbus went all-in in a move that was a litmus test for Super Team building in the NHL that has worked so well in the NBA. The result (?), bupkis and the hilarity that ensued. It was a stupid move that failed quite spectacularly (and nearly even more spectacularly had CBus missed the POs) but casual fans don’t seem to grasp the lesson and I’m certain GMs will be, in fact, allergic to the wisdom to be garnered from the exercise and we will see continued contract mismanagement and ever-increasing greed and financial incentivization of a sport that has continuously demonstrated that it is quite immune to attempts to throw money at Championships while GMs have been quite adept at throwing money at players. This is ultimately why I Hope Bob and Bread fail.

My rant is essentially over but I’ll leave you with this. Outside of a bemoaned Phil Kessel (arguably) what other extremely high-profile FA signing in recent memory has had a major role in a team winning the Stanley Cup. I’m honestly at a loss to name any others, perhaps I’m just not considering the quandary thoroughly enough.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Your response is rather level-headed and therefore, quite reasonable and encouraging.

I suppose you could distill my argument in principle to this. At this past TDL Columbus went all-in in a move that was a litmus test for Super Team building in the NHL that has worked so well in the NBA. The result (?), bupkis and the hilarity that ensued. It was a stupid move that failed quite spectacularly (and nearly even more spectacularly had CBus missed the POs) but casual fans don’t seem to grasp the lesson and I’m certain GMs will be, in fact, allergic to the wisdom to be garnered from the exercise and we will see continued contract mismanagement and ever-increasing greed and financial incentivization of a sport that has continuously demonstrated that it is quite immune to attempts to throw money at Championships while GMs have been quite adept at throwing money at players. This is ultimately why I Hope Bob and Bread fail.

My rant is essentially over but I’ll leave you with this. Outside of a bemoaned Phil Kessel (arguably) what other extremely high-profile FA signing in recent memory has had a major role in a team winning the Stanley Cup. I’m honestly at a loss to name any others, perhaps I’m just not considering the quandary thoroughly enough.

Not necessarily recent, but the two free-agents to pop into my mind are:
  • Hossa to the Blackhawks, which given the Tallon connection is the one that I like the most.
  • Chara to the Bruins (Plus Savard was big for the cultural change, but obviously did not affect the cup directly)
If we expand to prime career additions and consider that Kessel was a trade, we can add the Kings adding Richards and Carter as well as Blues adding O'Reilly. I don't see a substantial difference between trades for high salaried players like this and free-agency.

I think the big idea is that teams need to add veteran talent to take the next step. Frankly, except for the Capitals, every team since 2010 has brought in needed high-level talent for the next step.

As a Panthers fan, the only question with a Bob+Panarin core would be defense. and then we can argue that steps forward by Ekblad and Matheson could do it. (Plus maybe a strategic trade of Hoffman for a top 4 defensive defenseman)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
No they wouldnt.
Going all in like this getting a 10mil goalie while having 2 expensive goalies and bringing in another high scoring russian just to try and win a playoff round... the GM should be on his way out and they are going to have to blow it up.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Going all in like this getting a 10mil goalie while having 2 expensive goalies and bringing in another high scoring russian just to try and win a playoff round... the GM should be on his way out and they are going to have to blow it up.

Yup, that is what they are doing, just so they can "try and win a playoff round." I never knew there were so many outsiders that know exactly what the Panthers are trying to do.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
you're right, this looks exactly like what CBJ just did :sarcasm:

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo

Wow, I didn’t realize Dr Frasier Crane had become a hockey fan!? Such astute & elaborate observations, indeed good sir!

Seriously though, you make a strong point about teams landing the big FA fish or blockbuster trade in the offseason. Most times it doesn’t equal a cup. However, the way in which you choose to flash your arrogance on the friggin HF boards comes across as pompous and highly douchetacular (you won’t find that in Webster’s so don’t bother)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yup, that is what they are doing, just so they can "try and win a playoff round." I never knew there were so many outsiders that know exactly what the Panthers are trying to do.

you're right, this looks exactly like what CBJ just did :sarcasm:
At least 1 of you got it... the other had the same response us cbj fan said all along but doesnt see the irony in saying the same shit about the jackets haha

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
This is already well documented that they're trying to deal Reimer to remove 1 of those expensive goalies (or buy him out if not possible to move him). And the Luongo situation is still to be determined but it sounds like he's nearing the point of retiring but likely will head to LTIR in reality. So no they wont have to "blow it up" just because of 2 existing goalies. Plus they will have a cheap backup in Montembeault as well. The time frame is really until the sweetheart deals of guys like Barkov start to expire, thats when they will start to have to worry.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wow, I didn’t realize Dr Frasier Crane had become a hockey fan!? Such astute & elaborate observations, indeed good sir!

Seriously though, you make a strong point about teams landing the big FA fish or blockbuster trade in the offseason. Most times it doesn’t equal a cup. However, the way in which you choose to flash your arrogance on the friggin HF boards comes across as pompous and highly *****etacular (you won’t find that in Webster’s so don’t bother)
Maybe your Lightning can find a Playoff Round (or game) win there. I know this discussion of failed Super Teams has to be particularly poignant for you. Like picking a scab off a hemorrhoid. Let’s see which S.Fla Super Team can implode more spectacularly this season, shall we. Good times ahead.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Florida going all in here if they dont win the cup this year they are going to have to blow it up.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad